218 replies to this topic

#121 Towanda

Towanda

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:09

I use Zebra F-301 ballpoints when I'm out where someone might need to borrow a pen or I have to write through carbonless copy paper. The F-301 refills really have a nice gel pen feel.

I also use a Lamy Safari ballpoint. I like the way it writes and the way the Safari feels in my hand. It would be nice if Lamy's ballpoint ink was a darker black.

I also have a collection of Pilot V5's and G-2's in 0.5 mm. Nice fountain-pen feel from both, but the V5 ink tends to bleed through paper.

My fountain pens are a Waterman Phileas and a Lamy Safari. I'm thinking about getting the bottle of Noodler's that comes with a free fountain pen as well.

#122 dpmahon

dpmahon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:23

QUOTE(_John_ @ Apr 5 2007, 07:42 PM) View Post
I'm a big fan of parker compatible refills because they seem to have the most choices so I tend to gravitate to those that accept these refills. On any given day my most favorite ballpoint is one of the following depending on my mood:

Parker Duofold Pinstripe (Blue)
Parker Sonnet (Black Laquer)
Pelikan m620 (Piccadilly Circus)
Visconti Van Gogh (Tortoise)

From time to time I'll switch to a Mont Blanc 169 because it is a very visually appealing instrument but I just don't care much for the way the refill writes. I still like it quite a bit though.

What are your favorite ballpoints?

Monteverde Mega Ink Ball filled with Noodler's bullet proof black.

"If the pen is mightier than the sword I am indeed well armed!"
D.P. Mahon

#123 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

----------------------

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:07

I have two ballpoints that I routinely carry with me. Either a blue eversharp CA w/parker gel refill or a carn 'd'ache (sp) 849 original limited edition. Love both of them.
My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

#124 Thornton

Thornton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,049 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:30

My three favorite ballpoints are my Mont Blanc Starwalker, Sensa True Blue, and several Cross Century Classics in lustrous chrome. Other than that, I usually don't write with ballpoints.
Posted Image"Instant Gratification Takes Too Long."-Carrie Fisher

#125 PenMaster

PenMaster

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:43

I own a Sailor Professional Gear ballpoint pen (black resin with silver trim - gold trim is available) and I truly enjoy the writing experience. With a short twist of the pen, I'm off to writing and signing documents in no time. Similar to the Montblanc, the Sailor PG is a much thicker pen, making it pleasant to hold during long bouts of writing. thumbup.gif Of course, it's dressed to impress, too. thumbup.gif For those of you yearning for a great liquid writer, the Sailor PG also comes in a fountain pen with the same beautiful design. This pen is a real bargain and is hard to pass up.

#126 oberon

oberon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:10

My current fave is a Michael's "Fat Boy" , hunkey and durable , feels good in the hand. uses parker gel refills.
Oberon

#127 scribe75

scribe75

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:06

My favorite BP is a Caran D'Ache Geneve with a Goliath refill. First, the Goliath is the best BP refill out there. It is smooth and lasts forever. Second, the Geneve is a great model BP. It is heavy and you know you have a good instrument in your hand. Since I tend to use BPs when I am writing really fast, i need a really solid piece. The Geneve does it. It is a real workhorse for me. Literally, I don't leave for a meeting without it. True for 10+ years. To cover the old banged up one, I have an extra in the wings, just in case.

#128 DeSuisse

DeSuisse

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 13:01

Caran d'Ache 849 or Ecridor with a Broad point.
Or a plastc Lamy with a Broad point, the problem is to fine refills. rolleyes.gif

#129 zenctheo

zenctheo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 00:33

My all time favourite is the Caran d'Ache 849. I prefer the original edition or the metallic blue one.
It also takes parker refills.
Although it more expensive than the simple parker Jotter it feels a lot nicer to write with it. The one - piece aluminum body and it's size gives the pen more stability and comfort than other ballpoints I ' ve tried.

#130 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 18:51

Mine are MB Agatha Christie and MB Starwalker, even though the MB refills are hit or miss (in these two pens, currently, a hit!).

I bought a Rotring Initial a coupla months ago, just to have a push-top ballpoint at hand at work, and I like that a lot, too.
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#131 snakeankle

snakeankle

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 14:41

favorite real ballpoint is a bic crystal stick in blue. the ink color very dark almost blue black, love that.
hardly ever use them though.
favorite fancy ballpoint is a retro 51 orange and black harley davidson with a blue parker gel refill.

#132 BurkStar

BurkStar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 15:04

If I'm doing something (some of the forms at work) that requires a ballpoint, I've got two that I'll use exclusively, a Montblanc Starwalker and a Carbon & Steel. Most of the time when I can't use a fountain pen though, its either a Starwalker rollerball or the Conway Stewart Duro rollerball which uses the Rotring refill, which is an outstanding refill. If my Rotring set doesn't end up selling, I'm going to start using the rollerball.

#133 Clydesdave

Clydesdave

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 15:08

I carry a Jaguar ball point pen. It's kind of heavy and large, just the way I like 'em.
At Your Service,
Clydesdave

#134 rufius

rufius

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 15:08

If I must use a ballpoint I'm fond of Parker Jotters and then Mont Blanc ball points are nice (though I don't own an MB). My dad has two MB ball points and I've always liked them.

-Zac

#135 Pjake

Pjake

Pjake

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 22:58

I have two that I rely on, and that I do enjoy using. A CdA (looks like the Lemans model...but was prior to the Leman), and I have had a Visconti Wall Street BP in Blue for about 6 weeks now. The CdA uses a proprietary refill, but in broad it is really very good....the Visconti WS currently has a Parker Gel in it...awaiting several Visconti gels.

Oh, Oh...I also have about 15 a Parker Jotters ...one clipped onto my checkbook and the other 14 in a jar on a grab as need basis for me and my wife...

Peter

Edited by Pjake, 08 April 2008 - 22:59.

#136 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 23:01

The only one I actually use is my Visconti Wall Street. It's the most perfectest ballpoint ever.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#137 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 00:11

The Uni Ball PB 207 refill is a GREAT refill!

Edited by Garageboy, 09 April 2008 - 00:11.

#138 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:24

I have a Mont Blanc Starwalker ball point which is really nice. I would also like to purchase a Cartier Pasha ballpoint to match the fountain pen I own.

NakayPicollo Kuro-Tamenuri

#139 Bellavance

Bellavance

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 00:07

Cartier Pasha (uses Parker refills) and Montblanc Rubber/Metal Starwalker (but clip damages shirt pockets).

Always Black refills.

Cartier_Pasha_Ballpoint_2.jpg
Montblanc_Starwalker.jpg

Pierre

Edited by Bellavance, 17 June 2008 - 00:12.

#140 Bellavance

Bellavance

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 00:14

Has anyone tried the Conway Stewart Duro Ballpoint?

Pierre

#141 gmorgan

gmorgan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 00:36

As most people have stated the refill is what matters most. Someone mentioned it here already, but the Foray (Office Depot private label brand) is actually one of the best ballpoint refills (Parker style). It skates on paper and is not gel so lasts long. It's probably made by a reputable manufacturer as the box states that it's Swiss Made. It's also much cheaper than the crappy Parker brand refills.... I think I got a pack of two for ab out $4bucks.

Now having said that the refill is what matters most, my new favorite holder is a Dunhill AD1800 that I picked up from Costco at a deep discount. The model is discontinued by Dunhill but is really sweet and Costco sells it for less than half it's original price. The clip retracts when you twist it so 1) you won't forget to retract before pocketing and 2) the clip doesn't get in the way when writing.

#142 stjimmy

stjimmy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:08

Having just recently purchased a Aurora Optima Mini BP I've been carrying that in any pocket. My "go to" BP is my Fisher Space black BP that been in my pocket Day timer over 9 years. But I think I'm gonna up grade to the Caran de Ache mini, it's soooo sweet and pocket sized.

stJim.
StJimmy.

"It has been my expirence that folks with no vices have very few virtues"-Abraham
Lincoln

#143 scribe75

scribe75

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:39

QUOTE(gmorgan @ Jun 16 2008, 08:36 PM) View Post
As most people have stated the refill is what matters most. Someone mentioned it here already, but the Foray (Office Depot private label brand) is actually one of the best ballpoint refills (Parker style). It skates on paper and is not gel so lasts long. It's probably made by a reputable manufacturer as the box states that it's Swiss Made. It's also much cheaper than the crappy Parker brand refills.... I think I got a pack of two for ab out $4bucks.

Now having said that the refill is what matters most, my new favorite holder is a Dunhill AD1800 that I picked up from Costco at a deep discount. The model is discontinued by Dunhill but is really sweet and Costco sells it for less than half it's original price. The clip retracts when you twist it so 1) you won't forget to retract before pocketing and 2) the clip doesn't get in the way when writing.

gmorgan - I have an AD 1800 too. Good BP but a little back end weighted. They stopped making it because the factory burned down circa 2000 or 2001, as I recall. I just need to find a smoother refill than Parker or Schmidt. PRobably have to go with a broad, it's not good for margin notes though.

#144 feiye

feiye

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:11

I have a Lamy Spirit Palladium BP that I use daily because the design appeals to me, it's hot (plus everyone goes ooh, aah when they see such a slim ballpoint). Also a Parker Sonnet since it takes the international size refills.
In rotation:
Pelikan M450 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji
Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue
Visconti Art Nouveau with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran
www: scribbling sensations

#145 jic

jic

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:18

Grey Zebra Expandz for daily pocket carry. It's attractive, compact, well-made, and comfortable to write with. The unusual expanding action is fun to use. It's also cheap and commonly available enough that losing it wouldn't be the end of the world. The refills are cheap, too.

Brown Tortoiseshell Colibri Le Grand for writing at home. It is very comfortable to write with, and it feels substantial in the hand. Looks great too. I wish it took Parker-style refills though, instead of the more expensive and harder to get Cross-style ones it uses.

Since a lot of people have included rollerballs, my favorite is my black Parker Vector. My handwriting with it is almost indistinguishable from that done with my Pelikan 250, although is is not as comfortable and well-balanced (or fun) to use.

Whatever pen I use, I write almost exclusively in black ink.

Edited by jic, 17 June 2008 - 04:23.

#146 barny

barny

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:44

Montblanc Mozart ballpoint for daily pocket carry though it is not my favourite it is my daily carry pen because of its small size and lightweight.

#147 Thornton

Thornton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,049 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:19

QUOTE(jic @ Jun 16 2008, 11:18 PM) View Post
Grey Zebra Expandz for daily pocket carry. It's attractive, compact, well-made, and comfortable to write with. The unusual expanding action is fun to use. It's also cheap and commonly available enough that losing it wouldn't be the end of the world. The refills are cheap, too.

I've always found Zebra to make a nice looking, sturdy, economical pen. I have several of the F-402 models lying in my desk and messenger bag.
Posted Image"Instant Gratification Takes Too Long."-Carrie Fisher

#148 gregoron

gregoron

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 20:48

My current favorite ballpoint is the capped Pentel Line Style, which can be found here:

https://www.pentelst...7976852765caa9e

It writes smoothly and the ink is very black, much like a Uniball Jetstream rollerball. It also has a nice retro and minimalist design. You can't go wrong with this $2.50 pen.
You are what you write
More than you are what you say
But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.
- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

#149 wednesday_mac

wednesday_mac

In Elrond's Library

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 00:23

::looks up from desk:: What is this "ballpoint" you speak of? ::goes back to using FP::
Is there life before death?

#150 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,090 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 00:25

Ballpoints are like toothpicks. You pick one up, you use it, you forget about it. Which ballpoint is my favorite at any given moment? One that writes and doesn't leak all over me.
The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.