Favorite ballpoint...

I've been using Pilot G-2s for a while.

I liked it a lot better before I started using a fountain pen.

CMaxx

P.S. I also tried a (slightly) modified MontBlanc refill in a G-2. That was a letdown.

I am currently in posession of some cartridge refilling kits (aka syringes). Why refill cartridges?

1) save money by not buying more cartridges

2) save money by not buying converters

3) cartridges hold more ink! (than converters)

4) use whichever inks you like

If any of you are interested in the wonderful world of refilling your own cartridges (and mixing inks the easy way), check out my post in the marketplace (search for cmaxx).

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregoron

• Apollo

• dapv

• MicheleB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A bit off the question, but recently I have grown quite fond of my Pelikan L5 rollerball, tried to get a replacement refill in black and been told they have been discontinued anyone know if any other refill fits these? Preferably a UK or European supplier.

Andy

Well, I carry around two BP. A Papermate if someone asks to borrow a pen, and an unidentified Parker for situations where a FP won't do.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

1) Parker Jotter or T-ball.

It has archival / documentary Parker Jotter ballpoint ink refills. The refill rotates each time you click the pen to preserve life of the ball. A plethora of Parker style refills are available.

2) Caran D'Ache Metal Office Pen.

It's a solid metal barrel that's painted with nice colors. It takes Parker Jotter ballpoint refills.

3) Sheaffer Award ballpoint pen.

Nice black ink. It's the only blue-black ballpoint ink though it's labeled black. Refills are expensive compared to Parkers though.

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

It's a solid metal barrel that's painted with nice colors. It takes Parker Jotter ballpoint refills.

I too use the Caran d'Ache Metal Office Pen. I think they're wonderful. I use the standard Caran d'Ache Goliath refills which supposedly allow you to write up to 600 pages worth of text. Haven't made an estimation of how many pages I've written with it yet, but it's been quite a lot. And I constantly get compliments on the pen's look, which is in what the company call their "Essentially Swiss" design. It's got a chocolate bar motif on it.

Edited by cfyoung

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My favorite ball pen is the Gelly Roll, which uses ink that seems to be as bulletproof as Noodler's Black. My favorite Biro-type pen is a BiC...not just any BiC, but one particular old disposable that I recently dug up. It writes a nice, solid line (for a BP) and requires relatively modest pressure for a BP. I'll miss it when its ink is used up. All of the other, newer BiCs I have stink--some constantly skip and blob, leaving greasy ink deposits that never seem to dry, while others write faintly even with massive pressure and dry up without warning. If I ever get into higher-end BPs, I'd probably go with a Fisher Bullet Space Pen for practical reasons.

My favorite ballpoint is a Parker Sonnet. I have one in black lacquer with silver trim, and it's the smoothest-writing ballpoint I've ever used. What I prefer even more than that is a simple Cross Classic Century rollerball with gel ink. I prefer my FPs over both pens, though.

I too use the Caran d'Ache Metal Office Pen. I think they're wonderful. I use the standard Caran d'Ache Goliath refills which supposedly allow you to write up to 600 pages worth of text. Haven't made an estimation of how many pages I've written with it yet, but it's been quite a lot. And I constantly get compliments on the pen's look, which is in what the company call their "Essentially Swiss" design. It's got a chocolate bar motif on it.

That's a nice CD'A. Mine's a red color, which looks like a Swiss Army Knife. These pens can actually be considered a deadly weapon by just how solid they're built.

You are what you write

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

I dig that CD'A too! That's very cool. I wouldn't mind rooting around for one of those SAK red ones, either.

For now, my favorite is a toss-up between my father's Parker Premier in the sterling Cisele pattern or the boring little blue-barreled Jotter that I picked up a couple of weeks ago for the Visconti sepia refill I got last time I was at Paradise Pens.

I'm with jmeadows, though. Big hands. I need a Duragraph BP. Someday!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Fisher Space pens are my favorites

Nakaya Writer Wajima-Urushi nuri Kikyo long pen fp - Grayson Tighe Twist Damascus fp - Mont Blanc Ramses mp - Pelikan M800 (2) - Restored 1936 Conklin Nozac fp - 1935 Waterman #3 mp - Namiki Falcon fp - Lamy Al-Star fp (2) - Parker 51 (8) - Swan/Mabie Todd fp - Wality 69L (3) - et alii

My favorite ballpoints are Zebra Sarasa 0.7 gel pens. Smooth writing every time, almost as nice as a FP.

I wish they were refillable.

I also have a love-hate relationship with Sakura Gelly Roll pens; they're like the little girl with the curl. When they're good, they're very very good, but when they're bad -- they're horrid. Sakura has real quality control problems with these pens. I've had some write without a hitch down to the very last bit of ink, but I've had some jam up in as little as 5 minutes of use and nothing gets them rolling correctly again. :(

Katherine Keller

Culture Vultures Editrix

Sequential Tart

(A webzine by women who love comics and pop culture.)

I have a Mont Blanc ballpoint and rollerball in black. I do not carry them everyday and they do not get much use anymore.

Bob

I have a Generations ball point, a black MB ballpoint and a MB ballpoint in Sterling Silver. I love them and they write best with a broad tip ball point refill. I like the bold line.

I really only use my fountain pens at home when doing journal writing and such, but out in the real world I do use ballpoint, rollerball pens and gel pens quite a bit, so there are a handful that have become personal favorites.

1) Caran d'Ache 849 - Quite possibly my overall favorite everyday use ballpoint pen, also known by several other names: Metal-X, Marathon, and the Metal Office Pen. This Swiss Made classic has been virtually unchanged since 1969 and is simple, reliable, affordable and solidly built. Plus the 849 comes in an array of cool colors and patterns. Another plus is that if you run out of ink and can't find a Caran d'Ache Goliath refill in a pinch, the 849 can also take Parker and Fisher refills. My version of the 849 is in sapphire blue.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/CarandAche849.jpg

2) Uni-ball 207 Premier - My favorite cheapie. If there's a must own inexpensive gel pen on the market, this has got to be the one. Lightweight, far more comfortable than the Pilot Dr Grip and doesn't skip the way my Pilot G2's sometimes do. The soft polymer section reminds me a bit of the Sensa Cloud 9 but only at a fraction of the cost.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/lg_207premier.jpg

3) Lamy Safari - This is my cool summer pen that I usually keep at the office. It writes reliably like all Lamys should and it's bright yellow color is easy to spot should one of my office associates lift it off my desk. Simple German bauhaus design at it's finest.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/LamySafari-Yellow.jpg

4) Faber-Castell E-Motion - Another cool German pen, this one I got as a gift some time ago and has never failed me. The standard Faber-Castell refill wrote flawlessly and recently ran out so I replaced it with a Parker Gel refill. It's got a cool-looking crocodile motif that almost looks like leather, but is resin. The clip on this pen is solid and can be clipped virtually anywhere on thin or thick clothing.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/138350.jpg

5) Parker Latitude - This is another pen I received as a gift recently and is quite nice (besides, I have a soft spot for Parkers). I mainly like the color and design, but it feels good in the hand. Fitted with a Parker Gel refill, it's a pleasure to write with and gets favorable comments from people when I use it.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/ParkerLatitude-SlateBlue.jpg

6) Lamy Swift - This is hands down my favorite non-fp. It's a buttery-smooth writing rollerball pen, but operates just like a retractable ballpoint pen does. The Swift's is typical of Lamy's bauhaus-inspired designs with it's sleek industrial look and impeccable fit/finish and is a very practical well balanced pen. Besides being a capless rollerball pen, the pocketclip retracts into the barrel when it use so it doesn't get in the way. If I were to only own one pen that wasn't a fountain pen, the Lamy Swift would be it.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/LamySwiftRB.jpg

Edited by Apollo
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I used to have one, but not any more. I rarely use them any more, infact today was my first day in along time- a cheap jell pen- it wrote horribly!! The one I did have was some target brand refillable ballpoint that was clear with green, blue and purple swirls in it. I gave it to my mum awhile back.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

I have a very nice champagne coloured Waterman Ici et La that I got for an embarrising low price at ebay. :embarrassed_smile:

http://www.sanfordb2b.de/de/ImageLibrary/Products/Waterman/Ici%20Et%20La/Champagne%20GT/W_ICIETLA_CPG_BP_LO.jpg

And a nice Parker frontier that matches my frontier FP

http://www.parker.su/illustrations/Parker/2133-3.jpg

http://www.parker.su/illustrations/Parker/2133-1.jpg

But I mostly use a plane Parker Jotter. Only use a BP to address envelopes and the crosswords anyway.

1) Caran d'Ache 849 - Quite possibly my overall favorite everyday use ballpoint pen, also known by several other names: Metal-X, Marathon, and the Metal Office Pen. This classic has been virtually unchanged since 1969 and is simple, reliable, affordable and solidly built. Plus the 849 comes in an array of cool colors and patterns. Another plus is that if you run out of ink and can't find a Caran d'Ache Goliath refill in a pinch, the 849 can also take Parker and Fisher refills. My version of the 849 is in sapphire blue.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/CarandAche849.jpg

Nice choice. I have the red one.

3) Lamy Safari - This is my cool summer pen that I usually keep at the office. It writes reliably like all Lamys should and it's bright yellow color is easy to spot should one of my office associates lift it off my desk. Simple German bauhaus design at it's finest.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/LamySafari-Yellow.jpg

I'm curious about this. Will it take Parker or other type of refills other than Lamy's?

You are what you write

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

Hello,

I always have one of my Waterman Kultur ballpoints or rollerballs in my pocket along with the fountain pen I am currently using. So many color choices, they fit well in the hand, write very well and are very inexpensive.

Cheers,

Richard in Plano Texas

post-5209-1192479994_thumb.jpg