Inky T O D - Ink Review Series - In The Beginning - Which Papers Do You Use?

amberleadavis

In the last few weeks, I've been asked about how to do ink reviews. I must confess that I'm far less knowledgeable than our very own Saskia_Madding, Visvamitra, Sandy1 and LGSoltek to name but a few who are on the first page of Ink Reviews.

So, every day (or every few) days, a new topic will post so we can talk about ink reviews. Your actual ink reviews still go in the Ink Review forum, these topics are for us to Ponder the Peculiarities and Think about Ink.

First, which ink do you pick?

Now, which papers do you use?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

• Runnin_Ute

• HalloweenHJB

With every new ink I have, I try to use different papers for the reviews, and I try to include something cheap and spongey (like a 3 x 5 notecard), something slick and non absorbent (like tracing paper), and something more high quality (like Rhodia paper). Then I write down my impressions about the color, if it has a noticeable sheen or shading, etc. And then adorn with Q-Tip swab washes. Not very scientific, but I have fun with it...

I test on 4 papers:

• Staples, Sustainable Earth, sugar cane paper, 20#
  • Hammermill, Color Copy Digital, 28#
  • HP, Premium, 32#
  • Staples, filler paper, made in Brazil

I do this because I found out that the inks will behave differently on my different papers.

To make it easier, I cut the sheet into about 2 inch strips which I tape to a backing sheet, so all 4 papers are seen at once.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Generally, I start with the cheapest recycled 8.5 x 11 all purpose paper I can find. If an ink performs well on this office paper, then it will do well on all others. These deliniates which inks are keepers to be used more often, from the others which will be relegated to occasional writing or ornamental use. Also inks which perform poorly will not be bought again unless I really like the color. This doesn't happen very often . . . . . . . . . as a matter of fact, it hasn't happen at all.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I grab whatever is handy and try and write on at least five different papers including Tomoe River. I love to see the sheen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I grab whatever is handy and try and write on at least five different papers including Tomoe River. I love to see the sheen.

Right on.

Hi,

Choosing the papers was not so easy. I wanted to see how changing the paper might change both performance and appearance of an ink+pen combo.

I also wanted to propose an answer the question "Is high-end paper 'worth it'?"

> Inclusion of that question was made at the request of other Members, and I think it is a good very one from both practical and cost point of view.

These are my picks:

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.

The HP1124 is what I consider as a very good 'utility' paper, which suits C/P and FP use.

Rhodia was chosen to represent coated writing paper which is quite widely available. A good indicator of shading potential, and in conjunction with other papers - line quality and gain (spread).

G Lalo was my pick for a textured writing paper. The high calendered paper has also proven to be a very good indicator of an ink's absorbency and lubricity - the dance that happens at the ink-nib-paper interface.

Royal gets to represent the fuzzy (low-calendered) highly absorbent papers and the ink-jet compatible papers. It challenges the ink's ability to resist feathering and bleed-through.

For quite some time I didn't include the Staples 20lb, which is intended to represent 'lowest bidder' copy/print paper that might be used by publicly traded company (with some ethics, environmental concern, and compliance with government mandate for permanent records.) Eventually it was included as I thought it was perhaps better than nothing, but still 'lowest bidder' C/P paper can vary quite a bit so far as being FP friendly/hostile.

To the dismay of some Members, inclusion of the Staples 20lb saw the scrap paper Grocery List be discontinued. Those had clearly demonstrated that with many inks a light hand using a narrow nib on scrap paper can yield acceptable results, so the time came to bid adieu with thanks. :happyberet:

At times other papers appeared in a cameo role. Those are very dependent on the ink and what I reckon it might be used for and/or kicks out the chocks to show an ink's potential. e.g. Clairefontaine Triomphe to show shading potential, glossy paper/card to demonstrate Smear/Dry Times, Arches watercolour paper and even aluminium foil and Mylar.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

You are very methodical.

You are very methodical.

Hi,

I'll take that as a compliment. :)

Others usual describe that tendency as boring and predictable - until I invite them to come fire walking. ;)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

It is a compliment. I love your reviews.

Hi,

I'll take that as a compliment. :)

Others usual describe that tendency as boring and predictable - until I invite them to come fire walking. ;)

Bye,

S1

I had an HR consultant ask me "don't you like surprises" when she was going around trying to raise moral and the usual company hype.

I told her "NO, in my line of business, surprises are usually BAD." She said "oh," and walked away. Apparently I was a "no sale" to her methods.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'm not thorough and methodical as the others. For reviews I use Rhodia paper only, Maruman for once or twice too. These are the paper I use for my calligraphy practice too. However for my everyday use, I write on all kinds of paper, often on cheap copy paper, and I often grade students' homework written on terrible paper that frequently causes skips. :(

I like to use a range of papers that applies to me. (I'm a fundamentally selfish reviewer.) So I use top shelf stuff (Tomoe River (TR)) to get an idea of the potential of the ink. If it sucks on TR, then it's probably not going to shine elsewhere.

I like to use a range of colors. This lets me know not just where it looks good (white vs soft white vs cream vs ivory), but also how well it covers the paper color. (That is, does a swab on cream have the same HSV value as a swab on bright white?)

My baseline swab is on a slightly softened white cardstock (Neenah Crest Solar White 80lb) - very smooth, very absorbent to dampen any sheen. This gives me a good idea of masstone.

I swab on TR as well to get an idea of sheening behavior.

For writing samples, I mostly use TR, with brief entries in other papers I use a lot: cheap office paper, Leuchtturm notebooks, Piccadilly notebooks, and solar white cardstock. I usually only scan the TR and Leuchtturm, and make notes on the other behaviors. That way I don't have to keep a shelf full of notepads for each review set.

I'd like to add more papers, but I'm really lazy, and shuffling papers is one of the most irritating portions of the review for me. This set is what I've kind of settled into, and is a good balance right now between what I want to know and how much I can stand to do.

Normally, for EVERYTHING I do, I will use HP 32lb Premium Laser. It takes ink extremely well, almost rivaling Rhodia paper. It is also quite cheap for a ream $17 for 500 sheets. I then run a standard review form through the printer and do my reviews on there. Occasionally, my reviews will have samples of the ink on other cheaper papers to show how it performs.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

This one varies. I love different papers and how they bring out different characteristics of inks.

I like Tomoe River because it shows sheen and vibrancy of color.

I like Rhodia because - well it is Rhodia! It is smooth, awesome paper and well known so most people will have some experience with it.

I use my HP 32 lb paper because it is affordable and a very bright white, but doesn't always show the ink to its best advantage.

Sometimes I will use an ivory or cream paper because some colors just look so pretty on it. I have used Neenah Professional Series 32 lb in Natural for a good ivory paper.

There are other papers I have used but these are probably the most common ones I use. :)

I love paper and am looking to get a larger variety of papers soon....hopefully. I just have to decide what to get! lol ;)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

• 3 years later...

Not trying to be a Doubting Thomas or an outright jackass – and, yes, I realise the most recent post in this thread before mine was made over three years ago – but I'm genuinely curious:

Does anyone here, especially Tomoe River aficionados and prolific ink reviewers, actually use Tomoe River paper either primarily or frequently for something not related to FPN? Journalling, creative expression (e.g. writing original short stories or poems, or drawing or doodling), copying holy texts and sutras (such as what some Buddhists do), personal correspondence (other than to ‘penpals’ linked up through FPN, where the driving motivation is to play with pens and ink), Christmas shopping lists, and so on?

I know there are a small number of types of journals on the market that use Tomoe River paper, but I struggle to believe anyone [/here/] use those for work or private pursuits away from FPN as a matter of, “That's the class of product I choose to use within my budget, or how I ‘treat’ myself to nice things in this world,” when most people who write journals would probably balk at the thinness of 52gsm paper. Even Midori MD paper seems a more viable/accessible choice for journals. As for loose leaf ‘notepad’ paper, if some (or most?) people refrain from buying Clairefontaine (or Rhodia) notepads for tear-off disposable notes, I wonder who uses Tomoe River paper for such notes.

I'm contemplating ordering a 4,000-sheet lot of 68gsm Tomoe River from Japan, but I just cannot think of a ‘practical’ use for such away from FPN, especially when I already have two cardboard archive boxes full of (mainly) Leuchtturm1917, Rhodia, Clairefontaine and a small assortment of other-branded A5 journals.

If I only wanted to test an ink for the potential for sheen using an ‘impractical’ choice of non-absorbent paper I wouldn't use for anything else, then stone paper seems at least an equally good choice for that objective, since water-based inks don't usually penetrate it (but they take forever to dry) at all.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I use TR for journaling, personal correspondence, and for my spirtual practice. Both 52 and 68 gsm. I prefer he way 52 gsm shows ink characteristics. The 480 page 52gsm journal is 70% of the width of the 384 page 68 gsm journal, which makes it easier for travel and storage.

I also use TR 52gsm A6 pocket notebooks.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I have a lot of different notebooks with different papers because I enjoy exploring variety, but I do all of my regular journalling in Nanami Seven Seas journals (52gsm TR paper). For personal, non-FPN correspondence, I usually (though not exclusively) use loose-leaf TR paper. I always have a loose sheet of paper somewhere on my desk on which to jot down random notes or just scribble and doodle absentmindedly, which is almost always TR paper as well (I probably only go through one or two sheets of paper each month in this manner because I use up every last bit of the page). You do have to pay a premium for TR, so I avoid using it for things that feel too wasteful (subjectively, of course), but I absolutely do find everyday use for it. How funny--you find it unbelievable that anyone would use TR paper for personal "non-FPN" applications, but I would be very surprised to find that people buy TR for the express purpose of posting pictures of it on FPN. We seem to have completely opposite expectations.

All that being said, I don't know what I'd do with a 4,000-sheet lot of 68gsm TR--it would take me ages to use that much!

@Karmachanic and @crahptacular, thank you for the feedback.

I don't particularly want to order one lot of 4,000 A4 sheets, but the sellers on Rakuten don't seem to offer many options between 201 (or even 101) and 3,999 sheets, and no matter what the shipping from Japan is going to hurt big time. The shipping-charges-excluded price for 4,000 sheets is some ten or twelve times the price for 100 sheets, so I either bite the bullet and order 4,000 sheets, or just buy lots of 50 or 100 locally knowing the per-page price works out to be three or four times more.

The upfront expense of A$400 is not an issue, and at that rate Tomoe River 68gsm A4 loose leaf works out almost cheaper per sheet than Rhodia A4 notepads at the local prices, but I just cannot think where or why I would want to use Tomoe River paper in any of my use cases.

Actually, a local retailer just offered 15% site-wide today, so I ordered some Tomoe River as well as some Midori MD paper to see what the fuss is about, but that is definitely not what I want to do published ink reviews on – because they don't match any of my ‘practical’ use cases, and as far as non-absorbent paper for eliciting sheen goes, I still think stone paper is more suited to the task and ‘exotic’, if I'm going to use something that doesn't match my use cases.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Normally, for EVERYTHING I do, I will use HP 32lb Premium Laser. It takes ink extremely well, almost rivaling Rhodia paper. It is also quite cheap for a ream $17 for 500 sheets. I then run a standard review form through the printer and do my reviews on there. Occasionally, my reviews will have samples of the ink on other cheaper papers to show how it performs.

I haven't done a review of anything real recently. But the last few times I did I used HP24 laser jet and printed the form on the paper. (24 lb/90 gsm)

Like Felix says, it is inexpensive handles ink well, but is somewhere in absorbency between Rhodia and Made in Brazil comp books. Very similar to Red N Black if memory serves me correctly.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain