Parker 51 Oblique Nib?

Boniface

Hello Parker forum,

I've been considering a Parker 51 for awhile, but have held off delving into vintage pens. But now I may act. What piqued my interest was seeing a Parker 51 for sale with an oblique nib. I really have no need for another pen with a standard round nib, but an oblique sounds interesting. The pen I'm considering is for sale in England and is described as having an original left oblique nib, 14k.

Does anyone have experience with these nibs? I like stub nibs because of the line variation--would this nib offer that? I've also wanted an oblique because I think that it would suit the way I hold the pen, but am not certain about that (I'm right handed and tend to rotate the pen counter-clockwise, which is not great for normal nibs). Are they hard to use, especially considering that the nib is hooded? Thanks for any information!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• bsenn

• hood

• Boniface

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a pair of 61s with wide left oblique nibs. A 61 nib is the same as a 51 nib, just has extra mounting tabs (quick tip, bend the tabs or file off to allow a 61 nib to mount in a 51). Great line variation, but must hold within a small range both rotationally and up/down. Worth it though, and even with the hooded nib not tough to get used to.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I have one that I love. It did take a few days to find the right rotation of the pen and get used finding the correct writing position without looking too hard at the nib. But these days I can just pick up the pen and write. It does have a nice line variation, as all obliques have by nature.

I have used plenty of obliques, some from Pelikan, Esterbrook, Parker and others. Not all render line variation, some being like a broad nib, some like stubs, and some being more edged. I am a left handed writer, so the left obliques require more rotation than the right obliques do for me. There are lovers of these nibs. I am not one. I have enough trouble keeping a round nib on center without having to think about rotating the pen, and going back and forth between oblique and non-oblique. Try it, though. You might like it and you might not. You won't know until you try it. You might try an Esterbrook oblique, which Esterbrookese refers to as "relief." Something like a 2314-B, -M or -F, or a 9314-B, -M or -F. Pretty good nibs and as obnoxious as any oblique.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

As a lefty over writer, I somehow find left obliques easier to use than straight stubs or italics.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I've had a left oblique 51 for all of a week now, and I'm still learning how to use it and decide if it's right for me. I'm getting better at finding the nib's sweet spot, but beyond the rotation required, I have to hold the pen closer to the tip so that it sits at a higher angle as I write. In terms if writing performance, I much prefer my 1.1mm Greg Minuskin stub. The jury is still out as to whether the pen stays in the collection or gets moved on.

Mario

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

Another vote for trying it out - some like them, others don't, and it's the only way to find out which camp you're in. I've got a few and some I like writing with while others I seem to struggle to keep them in the sweet spot. I have a 61 which is a dream and a couple of 45s which I have to wrestle with despite the tines being correctly aligned - haven't figured out why yet! Most of mine are quite crisp but I have a Sonnet one which is round oblique and gives no line variation.

if you do buy the 51 and decide later you don't like the oblique, you shouldn't have any problems selling it on.

I have some 45s, including a right oblique. Being left handed overwriter is of no help with this right oblique. But, then, I am disappointed with 45s, except for the CI Pendemonium sold me. That's the only good 45 I have used.

The Sonnet right and left obliques have rounded edges, and I have a few of each in steel and 18K. I have the usual issue of trying to keep them oriented on the sweet spot.

With a 51, though, I think I would just soldier on with an oblique, because 51s are the best pens I have used, bar none, and there's satisfaction in having an uncommon nib. If someone wanted to trade me one for a couple of other 51s I have, I would be glad to oblige. I think it's nice just to have a 51 oblique, and it is a great collection piece if nothing more to you. To me the 51 is a holy, sacred pen in whatever guise or with whatever nib.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.