Suggest An Everyday Carry Pen

vPro

Hello everybody :)

As my pen park is growing, I'm starting to become more selective with my purchases. I consider myself a user, and I have certain needs for my pens.

I am looking for a Pilot Metropolitan replacement. The Pilot Metropolitan simply didn't live up to my expectations. I paid about $40 for it with shipping and import fees and I can't say it was worth it. It runs dry after writing half a page. Then I have to unscrew the barrel and push ink into the feed again. It's also quite scratchy and doesn't start up immediately.

Now my next pen needs to be quite a workhorse pen. I'm not looking to pay a whole lot, especially since it's a pen that I'll be carrying around.

Criterias:

fine or extra fine nib

Smooth writer

Reliable, starts up every time

Adequately wet nib

Bonus (not a requirement):

Clear Demonstrator pen

Holds a lot of ink

I don't care whether it's a vintage or new pen. I don't care much about manufacturer either.

Since it won't be a pen I'll purchase anytime soon, I have time to save up if it's a bit pricey, but I think a $75 limit is sufficient.

I'm looking forwards to your suggestions!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vPro

• Blue_Moon

• ac12

• Ethereal Winter Wind

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a couple of Waterman Carenes sell for under $75 on ebay today. These pens are pretty good at keeping the nib moist.

Otherwise I would get a Parker 51 aerometric. Waterman Phileas works well for me also.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks for your reply.

A Carene for under £75? That's a steal. As far as I am concerned it's their flagship pen.

I thought about the Parker 51 and I'm strongly considering it, but I really dislike hooded nibs. It's not out of the question if it's a good writer.

I already have a Phileas in medium. It's too broad for taking notes I feel. I love diversity, so another Phileas is a no-go. Thanks for your awesome input.

This doesn't sound like typical Pilot Metro behavior. Did you flush the pen before using it to get rid of any remnants from the manufacturing process?

Beyond that, the TWSBI 580 sounds like it might fit your criteria. However, here the Metro is only about $15-$20 so I don't know what the TWSBI would come up to with the shipping and import fees. Possibly past the $75 limit.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Others have had problems with cracking but I have had no problems at all with my two TWSBI Minis. It sounds to me like this pen would meet your criteria.

Edited by MCN

My suggestion...The Lamy 2000 with an EF nib. Longevity of design, holds a LOT of ink, and for me, reliable as all get out. Next, the Lamy Studio with the large,huge Lamy cartridges. Both reliable and smooth writers. The 2000 is made of Makrolon, the Studio is metal, both durable. Both are great writers! The Studio would meet your immediate price.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Keeping in mind your budget limit of $75, I would have to suggest the Lamy Safari; Lamy Vista in the demonstrator version. You'd be looking at anywhere between $25 and 35, depending. (I paid $35 for mine, then I noticed the price slowly dropping). It meets all your requirements, and is durable as a brick.

Considering your upper limit and requirements, I would suggest a long-term plan leading up to the Franklin-Christoph 02 snow and ice. It's my daily driver, and I absolutely love it.

I like my Metro - too bad you are having problems with yours. Maybe it's the ink?

If you are not off the brand, I suggest the Pilot Lucina with a fine nib. They can be had for around 50.00 on amazon.

ANother suggestion: I just got a Kaweco Student and it works quite well. There is a blue demo version, which would meet one of your requirements and I'm pretty sure you can find it in EF.

Another vote for TWSBI. It is my EDC for sure. Meets all of your requirements.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I think you probably couldn't go wrong with one of the pens in the Lamy line up such as the Safari or the Al-Star. There is also the Lamy Vista which is a demonstrator. I just bought an EF nib to use on a Safari, and I am very pleased with it. It writes wet, but also nice and smooth, especially for being EF. I would say you can't go wrong! I just had my pen open for probably at least 1 minute, and it wrote right away without having to try to get it started again. I have never had the pen give me a hard time to start writing. The only thing is that I don't find that the Lamy converter holds a TON of ink, but it is not terribly small.

I think we have pretty much a consensus. Lamy or TWSBI. I immediately thought of both when I read your original post. TWSBI has mostly demonstrator pens, so if that is important, go for that!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I agree, your Metro does not sound like it is behaving properly.

Clean it out well, dry it overnight, then refill using Waterman ink. That should give you a good writing performance.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hello!

I'm overwhelmed by your replies, I had not expected this much feedback! Thank you!

Despite my less-than-pleasant experience with the Metro, I don't have anything against Pilot! I might have gotten a bad one, or the pen just needs its feed adjusted. Or it could be the ink, but I thought Diamines Inks were known for being wet.

I found a UK retailer of the TWSBI 580 which is a nice demonstrator! It would cost me $75, shipping included - but is it worth it? How is the nib and the flow? Is the EF scratchy? MCN mentioned cracking?

A LAMY pen is quite a bit cheaper, and I even managed to find a Danish online retailer selling it for about $35. Quite frankly, I don't find the LAMY very appealing, but like I said with the Parker 51 - a good writing pen can easily justify a design that I don't like too much.

I haven't yet decided which pen to put on my wish list, but so far, there are 2 pens that have caught my attention:

The TWSBI 580

Parker 51

P.S. If I were to buy a Franklin Christoph Pen, I'd want a Masuyama ground nib. Those nibs are so lovely. But that's far into the future :)

I don't find the LAMY school pens attractive for everyday use either. However, LAMY also sells a number of other reasonably priced models targeted more at the adult market. Take a look at the Pur, which is also within your desired price range.

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

Diamine has a wide range of inks, and they do not all behave the same.

I would clean out the pen and try some Waterman. For many people, Waterman is one of the standard inks. If a pen does not write with Waterman ink, it very likely needs to be adjusted.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hello!

I'm overwhelmed by your replies, I had not expected this much feedback! Thank you!

Despite my less-than-pleasant experience with the Metro, I don't have anything against Pilot! I might have gotten a bad one, or the pen just needs its feed adjusted. Or it could be the ink, but I thought Diamines Inks were known for being wet.

I found a UK retailer of the TWSBI 580 which is a nice demonstrator! It would cost me $75, shipping included - but is it worth it? How is the nib and the flow? Is the EF scratchy? MCN mentioned cracking?

A LAMY pen is quite a bit cheaper, and I even managed to find a Danish online retailer selling it for about $35. Quite frankly, I don't find the LAMY very appealing, but like I said with the Parker 51 - a good writing pen can easily justify a design that I don't like too much.

I haven't yet decided which pen to put on my wish list, but so far, there are 2 pens that have caught my attention:

The TWSBI 580

Parker 51

P.S. If I were to buy a Franklin Christoph Pen, I'd want a Masuyama ground nib. Those nibs are so lovely. But that's far into the future :)

My advice is to get the Lamy. I would not by a TWSBI 580 due to cracking. Read this thread (and many others) : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/215012-so-has-anyones-twsbi-not-broken/

People say TWSBI used to have cracking problems but have gotten them fixed. However, take a look at the more current posts on this thread. They still need to work on their quality control big time. Again, I definitely wouldn't buy one.

On the other hand, the Lamy makes a great demonstrator - the Vista - (with no cracking problems).

Now, what I'd really do would be to save my money and go for the FC (see my signature block). ;)

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Although not a demonstrator, I'd also highly recommend any Italix pen, but especially the Parson's Essential: http://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d184.html "Choose your currency" is kind of hard to find. It is right above the picture at the top right. Also, scroll down the page so you can see the various colors.

It meets every one of your requirements (other than being a demonstrator). Because Mr. Ford (owner of Mr. Pen) sells the pens directly (without third party seller - other than Amazon UK), they are very inexpensive. Otherwise, they would retail at almost twice what they sell for at his website. Check the threads on FPN for the Italix PE love!

Also, check out SBRE Brown's video on it. It's one of the smoothest pens you'll ever own.

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

If you're willing to stretch your a budget a bit, I wold definitely recommend the Pilot Custom Heritage 92 as it fits all your requirements, even the bonus requirements and is more reliable than the TWSBI (I do not mean to belittle the TWSBI, but this fact is from my personal use and observation and I own over 5 TWSBIs in all their various models).