Pilikan M200 Ef Nib Question

Mangrove Jack

Would the Pelikan M200 EF nib be similar to a Japanese fountain pen's FINE ?

Basically I want to buy my first Pelikan FP and am looking at the 200M, but I want a rather "fine" nib similar to the Janese fine, hence my question.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Edited by Mangrove Jack

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mangrove Jack

• Frank C

• KBeezie

• zuhandensein

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pelikan is pretty much a Western Nib sizing, so:

Western XXF = Japanese Extra-Fine

Western EF = Japanese (Pilot/Sailor/Platinum) Fine

Western F = Japanese M

Western M = Japanese B

Other than the sizing, the modern pelikan steel nibs are going to be a bit firm compared to some of the Japanese nibs from Pilot or Platinum, almost to the point of being a nail without really any spring to it compared to some of the older nibs such as from the 80s/90s or before.

According to the chart on nibs.com:

http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

The Pelikan XF is probably a little wider than some Japanese Fine nibs, about the same as a Pilot fine. If you read the fine print, they say that these are tip sizes, not line widths.

I just looked a two of my Pelikan Extra Fine nibs and they are about the same a Pilot Fine.

The M200 is a very nice pen. I like mine a lot.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I bought a M200 Cognac recently with a EF nib, which is currently my main pen now, which I use along with three other japanese pens. I have attached a writing sample of my current 'set'.

My experience, although I don't know if it can be a 'standard' one, is as follows:

— Pilot nibs are smoother than Pelikan and Platinum ones. In these brands I can feel some feedback when writing, it is not annoying as it is like —let's say, somehow... writing with a pencil, and it can be very enjoyable as well.

— My EF Pelikan nib was slightly tuned to allow some extra wetness, but out of the box I don't think that it was much thinner than the M nib in my Pilot Prera, and it definitely never wrote as fine as any of my many Pilot 78G fine nibs (although I never made a comparison using the same ink).

— Steel Pilot nibs are firm, I'd say they are even firmer than my EF Pelikan steel nib. Similar quality all of them. 14K nib in my platinum is slightly springy, and Pilot Custom 74 and other Pilot gold nibs can be even more springy, particularly the 'soft' ones, which are certainly a real pleasure in my opinion (they are wetter and slightly wider than steel ones). They are the winners, in my opinion, if I went for a Pelikan because the piston filling mechanism, size, and the general appearance of the Cognac... but the writing experience was not comparable to that of the Pilot Custom 74.

post-116907-0-98687500-1429978850_thumb.jpg

Edited by zuhandensein

Pelikan M200 Cognac, EF + J. Herbin Perle Noire

Kaweco Sport Brass F (golden nib!) + Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

In my experience, you might be a little hard pressed to approximate a Japanese fine in Pelikan's modern offerings. Even the EF's are more like an F at best.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thank you gentlemen for the time and effort to help me with my question and decision to buy a Pelikan fountain pen. Much appreciated.

Zuhandensein thanks for the images which were very helpful. I have decided to pull the trigger on a Pelikan, which will be my first Pelikan FP.