Best Travel Fountain Pen, Ink Etc?

NewPenMan

I know the writers will say always have back up, like pencils, for when pens fail.

But let's say you are travelling..perhaps the kind of travel where you live in another country for months on end, and want to continue writing, using a fountain pen.

The logistics might be...a pen that's not too fussy, a pen that perhaps can hold a lot of ink, ie, eyedropper, for times when securing more ink might be tough. A Pen that can go for months without getting thorough cleaning.. Is there one ink that you should settle on, owing to its widespread availability? Maybe just get packs of Varsities and be done with it?

If you can't always get FP-friendly paper, does this inform the nib type? A Nib that can write on anything?

Maybe screw caps are best; snap-on caps might pop off during the josting of travel? Maybe non-spendy-looking pens would discourage theft?

I'm sure that lots of people on the forum have and do deal with these issues and maybe have settled on a basic kit, tried and true, that always enables a person to write, no matter what circumstances?

Thanks for any ideas.

Edited by NewPenMan

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• inkstainedruth

• Keyless Works

• sandy101

It depends a *lot* on where I'm going, and what kind of writing I expect to be doing.

Most of my travel writing falls squarely in a few categories: personal, notes that need to be legible to multiple people for some time, and the kind of day-to-day note detritus that doesn't need to be kept around.

If I'm going to a conference or meeting, or writing short notes in the outdoors, I usually use a F or EF Vanishing Point. They're easy to clip to lanyards or notebooks, fairly unobtrusive, and the click mechanism is invaluable when you're writing in your lap with no space to spread out. A Kara's Kustom Ink is the other option I use a fair amount in the field, because they're tough and easy to spot if you have a bright color and leave it on a rock or table or something.

For field reports, journal entries, planning, etc - anywhere I'm sitting down for an hour to write up, I prefer something lighter, with a broader nib. I'm using a Saral now, with a Jowo nib unit in medium. I usually eyedropper it, and use something permanent, like Kung Te-Cheng. I fill the VP with a contrasting color, so I can use it for mark-up.

I carry extra ink, and backup pens (fountain and otherwise).

I don't think this is the perfect kit, and I still do a lot of experimenting, but it works fairly well.

I usually carry my own notebooks or notepads, but I try to pick fairly well-behaved inks and nibs.

While eyedroppers hold an insane amount of ink, I don't find most of them to be reliable enough as a primary pen. They are most prone to leaking and are almost guaranteed to start burping ink once your ink level drops below a third.

My Lamy 2000 in fine is a decent writer with a generous ink supply. What makes it a good option is that the semi-hooded nib resists drying and the body and cap are extremely durable. I know some swear by vac fillers (TWSBI Vac700, Pilot Custom 823, Visconti Power Fillers, etc.) for a reliable pen with a large ink capacity; however, I have never felt the need to carry around that much ink, as a normal-sized piston filler can last a few days of even intensive notetaking.

My ink of choice would probably be Parker Quink (any kind should do, but I prefer the colour of Permanent Blue-Black), as it is very safe, dries quickly, works on a large range of paper, is very readily available, won't clog most pens, and relatively inexpensive.

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

A Kaweco Sport Classic seems like an ideal pen for this. It holds a lot of ink, doesn't need to be pampered with cleanings, can be thrown around, and doesn't draw a lot of attention. It would definitely be the pen I grabbed for.

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

When I've travelled, my setup is a Lamy2000 that I've had for a couple of years that I know is setup for me. 15ml nalgene of Waterman Serenity Blue and 15ml of Noodlers Black. Noodlers Black is now the backup ink.

Zebra f701 pen for lending out and forms.

When I have a chance I always check out the local stationary stores and so generally know what other supplies are available.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

But let's say you are travelling..perhaps the kind of travel where you live in another country for months on end, and want to continue writing, using a fountain pen.

If I was in another country for months...I'd be looking for fountain pens there.

Any International Cartridge pen.

I like my OMAS Milord with the ACS (the later style cartridge holder that accommodate long carts or 2 regular cart.) or the MB147.

A Parker 45 Flighter is my constant travel companion. Robust, good to use and takes a converter or Parker style cartridges.

Same as at home!

Cross Townsend and a bottle of ink in my bag.

In the unlikely event it fails, have a spare.

A bottle of ink lasts me six months, so have a spare.

But at a pinch, any ink works in the Townsend (well, any fountain pen ink).

All together, they take up less room than my overnight wash kit.

I am currently traveling on business for a month through Latin America. I have brought 8 :yikes: pens with me in 2 cases and a tiny bottle of J Herbin Cafe du Brasil ink in case I ran out.

In the first case, which is a black 5 pen Sailor pen case, I have an Edison Menlo with a Franklin Christoph Matsuyama 18k italic nib, a Visconti Opera Typoon with a 1.3 Italic nib, a Franklin Christoph 20 with a Matsuyama 18k stub, an Ivory Parker Duofold Centennial with a broad oblique nib and a Montegrappa Extra 1930 in broad.

In my second, which is a 3 pen Kaweco sport case, I have a Kaweco Sport Luxe with a a broad steel nib, a Kaweco Sport Art with a 14K double broad nib, and Kaweco Sport with a 2 tine Bock nib.

Surprisingly the 2 pens with the largest capacities failed to live up to their promise. The Menlo leaked badly, but it was my fault because I tinkered with the pen before leaving. The Visconti promptly ran out of ink the first week of travel. With the opaque body, it was hard for me to gauge how much ink there was left in the pen.

The rest of the pens have been deadly reliable. Immediate start ups, no leaking, and so far have not required filling. But then again, my pens are not for note taking, and is primarily my source of relaxation on the plane and in the hotel room. So rate of usage is quite low.

I did pick up a Firma Qube smoke demonstrator fountain pen from the legendary and very expensive Miguelangel store in Mexio City. Filled it up with J Herbin ink I had and the nib is soooooo smooth and wet.

When all fails, I have my GvFC Perfect pencil :lol:

Edited by gerigo

TWSBI Vac 700 for me and the Vac 20 travel ink well.

Has cracking of TWSBI plastic parts been an issue for you?

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

Not yet. I bought mine in Taiwan in February so I haven't had it very long. I am taking it with me to Australia on Sunday. A safer option could be the Pilot Custom 823. I have never owned one but the rest of the Custom series pens I have are of excellent quality.

I personally think the TWSBI feels nicer than most pens in the Custom line (though that probably doesn't relate to actual real world durability). Also I believe the cracking issue related mostly to the 530 and 540.

When traveling my pens are in a case inside a ziplock bag. I travel a good amount and I have never any real problems. I try to keep my pens pointed up during take off and landing but they work fine at cruising altitude. The Vac holds a nice amount of ink so I wont need to refill on a 2-3 week trip (granted I am not writing pages and a pages every day).

I don't have Home pens and Work pens and Travel pens. I have pens, and whichever I'm enjoying the most are the ones I take when I travel. Or a selection from those, if I have more than a few inked. Then I just bring what I need in order to maintain my pen usage. If I want to use Noodler's Black in my c/c pens (and I always want to do this), then I bring a Nalgene bottle of the ink and a syringe, or I'll fill empty cartridges and seal them with a hot-glue gun.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

A Parker 45 Flighter is my constant travel companion. Robust, good to use and takes a converter or Parker style cartridges.

I would take a Parker 45, as well. Actually, I did. >> Hiking 1000 miles of Appalachian Trail: visiting "horse country USA", touring five European nations, US Navy deployment around half the globe. The Parker 45 can be maintained by owner. It works.

On the other hand, if I were loose on the world for months, I would take to the streets, when my ink ran low. Buy something inexpensive that looks like a fountain pen and ink, with the aid of my broken version of the language, and my phrase book. Can I write with it ? I did the same for tooth paste, and other necessities. It's part of the adventure.

(Took me three tries to get toothpaste. Yuck !) :doh: :sick: :thumbup:

Where ya goin' ?

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Where ya goin' ?

spouse asked me what I wanted to do when we retire (some years away..) and I said: Travel.

We were having beer and crackers and feeling pretty spunky about things..she grabbed the globe and we spun it with our eyes closed and pointed and fingers landed pretty much all over, tho we ended up at Cape Verde 3 times with the Spin-and-point method, so that's likely our first stop, if we ever get to do this.

We're both open to the very rustic, which prompted my question to this list...If I have the privilege to do any travelling, I'm fer dang sure going to be writing about it, and if I'm writing, I'm fer double dang sure going to be doing it with a fountain pen!

Edited by NewPenMan

Vac fillers should be at the head of your list with my seconding the Pilot 823 with a fine point and a TWSBI with an extra fine point so if you do have a problem with your pen and need a part, you can get it shipped just about anywhere by their excellent customer service department and don't have to send your pen in to be repaired at the factory.

Inkwise, I would suggest a good iron gall, or an excellent permanent ink like Montblanc Permanent Blue or Pilot Blue since they have extremely good water resistant. These have little feathering problems on some of the worst paper I encountered, with, of course the highest of nods, going to a modern Iron Gall Ink.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I've been on the road for a year in Europe and South America. I have two LAMY Safari's and a TWSBI MINI. I been using the mini most of the time. I have 6 or more Goulet sample bottles with Noodler's Heart of Darkness. Next trip I'll use a Nalgene bottle for the ink (available in a number of different sizes). The pens are stored in a zipper pen case. ( so far to spills or leaks).