• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HCD

• ethernautrix

• prf5

• pepsiplease69

I don't use black ink personally, although I believe Noodlers black and Aurora black are highly regarded around here. Not sure if prices are comparable to Sheaffer though, the suggestions may be a bit more expensive.

Noodler's black works very well, although it might be more expensive if you can't find it locally (shipping charges). I like J Herbin Perle noire and have used Pelikan 4001 black with good results as well. The 4001 is not as black, though.

If it's behavior on cheap paper that is your main criterion, not the "blackest" black ink or the most water resistant, then I'd suggest Lamy Black.

If I have said it once, I have said it 1,000 times: Noodler's Black.

I have gone through hell to find the blackest of blacks, it's Noodler's.

I have gone to no end of trouble to find the most waterproof of black inks, it's Noodler's.*

I have looked for THE well behaved black and I have found it to be (wait for it).......Noodler's.

I have scoured the Earth for economical black ink which is dark, waterproof, and well behaved----> Noodler's.

I have lavished countless hours comparing, contrasting, using different papers, scanning, and pondering under a multiplicity of lights and large pieces of electronic equipment, and I must conclude: Noodler's.

There are other blacks, but they are only other blacks. Noodler's is THE black.

*It is so waterproof, it's comical. The paper will dissolve in water but the writing remains.

N.B.-This is only my opinion. You may have a totally different opinion about the perfect black. You would be wrong, of course, but you can have your opinion.

P.S.-This question is probably the most asked question in all of FPN. Everyone has to ask once, and we respect your innocence and gently (and with humor) relieve you of it.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I went through a similar process as Fabienne, but came to a different conclusion.

Pelikan Black, especially for cheap paper.

Fabienne: "If I have said it once, I have said it 1,000 times: Noodler's Black," for color, performance when wet, cost, and performance on a variety of papers.

Considering your extensive experience and knowledge, allow me to pick your brain and ask you to compare Noodler's Black with Platinum Carbon Black.

Thanks.

Fabienne: "If I have said it once, I have said it 1,000 times: Noodler's Black," for color, performance when wet, cost, and performance on a variety of papers.

Considering your extensive experience and knowledge, allow me to pick your brain and ask you to compare Noodler's Black with Platinum Carbon Black.

Thanks.

OK: Noodler's is blacker. There.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Well my favorite black right now is Scribes Black. However, I don't believe it is commercially available yet.

Second up would be Noodler's Black.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

OK: Noodler's is blacker. There.

That's the only meaningful difference? How about the other factors you looked at: waterproof quality, behavior in a variety of pens, performance on a variety of papers, and cost.

I don't have much experience with inks... Parker Quink was good for me, but not great. Based on reviews I switched to Noodler's Black (bulletproof) and love it. I use it in a LAMY Safari pen, on everything from post-its, to cheap graph paper, to Rhodia/Leuchtturm. Never had any problems yet.

LAMY Al Star (Limited Ed. Copper Orange) w/ Noodler's Apache Sunset

LAMY Safari (Black) w/ Noodler's Black (Bulletproof)

LAMY Safari (Red) w/ Noodler's Eel Rattler Red

Noodler's Ahab (Clear Demonstrator) Used for Testing Inks

Parker Urban (London Cab Black) w/ Diamine Red Dragon

Parker Reflex (Green Pearl) w/ J.Herbin's Poussiere de Lune

The "best" black inks aren't just 100% black. How boring. The "best" black inks have a bit of pizzazz in them.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The "best" black inks aren't just 100% black. How boring. The "best" black inks have a bit of pizzazz in them.

Right.

Platinum Carbon Black serves all my black needs - it's kind of a matte black but it's more permanent than time itself. I also have a Noodler's Nib Creaper filled with J. Herbin Perle Noire which is a really nice, wet, black black. Completely washable though.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

If I have said it once, I have said it 1,000 times: Noodler's Black.

I, too, searched far and wide and tried many, many black inks, and I liked quite a few of them. Noodler's Black, though, stood out, for being the least problematic of them all. Aurora Black is a nice, very black ink, but it feathered on a few of my papers. And so I stick with Noodler's Black.

To clarify: I haven't found Noodler's Black to feather on any paper I've tried, from cheap to Tomoe River (which, of course, what ink feathers on TR paper?).

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.