The Perfect Pen?

P47pilot

Hello everyone, I'm new in the forum. Not long ago I discovered fountain pens, my first pen was a pilot varsity that I bought without realizing it was a fountain pen. I loved it! I wanted more, so I went ahead and bought a pilot metropolitan with a medium nib(without knowing there are nib sizes) after realizing it was way too thick I bought a lamy safari with a extra fine nib, and I absolutely love it to extreme extents! But after 1 week of normal use, the cap won't stay closed... I looked online and I found a repair(opening the cap and putting tape around a rubber insert) and it did fix it for awhile, but now it is again loose, as soon as I point it down the cap falls, and if I clip it to a pocket or something the pen slips right off the cap making a mess everywhere.

I contacted lamy for a replacement they said I could send it in for repairs, but it has a processing fee of 9.95 dollars, plus I pay the shipping(its the worst costumer service I have experienced so far). It would be cheaper and easier if I went ahead and bought a whole new pen, but of course buying a new pen every week its not appealing at all. So here is my question: is there a pen out there that writes as smoothly as the lamy safari extra fine, and holds a decent volume of ink inside, around 20 dollars(I'm a college student, I can't afford much more than that) ?

PS: I was looking at the pilot metropolitan fine, but the converters seem to hold way to little ink. Basically I'm looking for something like the lamy safari extra fine but with a better quality that doesn't wear out after a week of use.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P47pilot

• Sailor Kenshin

• ethernautrix

• Blue_Moon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you like everything else about the Safari, get another Safari. I've never heard of this problem with the Safari before. The Kaweco Sport is another nice pen, but I had to do a lot of work on the nib before it wrote like I wanted.

You can also get the Pilot 78G

If you like everything else about the Safari, get another Safari. I've never heard of this problem with the Safari before. The Kaweco Sport is another nice pen, but I had to do a lot of work on the nib before it wrote like I wanted.

You can also get the Pilot 78G

Thanks, I'll look up the pilot 78G and the kaweco.

I rather stay away from lamy now, first because of the problem (for what I have researched a lot of people have had this problem) and second because the lack of customer service of the company.

The Metropolitan is also available in fine from Anderson Pens, Goulet Pens, and Jet Pens - no affiliation with any of them except as a happy customer. The 78G is still available from isellpens.com (same lack of affiliation). Anderson, Goulet, and isellpens also sell ink samples and converters, which is a convenient way to try things out.

Good luck with your search.

What ia happening to your Safari is not usual, so if you love the pen, buy another and stay tuned for parts (cap). If you prefer a twist cap, the 78g is a h*** of a pen.

I suggest you buy your pen in a B&M store since it would be easier to have a warranty honored through the store.

Did you try and contact the seller? Because your Safari is clearly defective. I would also give a try and contact Lamy in Germany directly I did deal with them at least three times and customer attention was awesome each time.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Another vote for the Safari. You say you've researched the issue and a lot of people have had this problem. Although I'm not from Missouri, I don't believe it. Please post links to your research. You're the first person I've ever come across that's had this problem. I know you're gun-shy to get another Safari, but this problem is a fluke. Contrary to what you're saying, the cap falling off is NOT a common problem with the Safari. I'm not saying no one has ever had this problem before. Just saying it is not a common problem. You're chances of getting another with the cap falling off are unarguably small (dare I say most likely infinitesimal).

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Simple, you can refill Pilot cartridges and use it in the Metro. I find the Metro sturdier than the Lamy. Saying that i have years with my Lamy and sans some scratchy nibs that I could not repair, I finally got a smooth EF, and begin to love it again.

Also Pilot fine is finer than Lamy EX. The finest lines in this sketch are from a Metro F and the boldest from a Lamy EF

post-71802-0-81322300-1429708837_thumb.jpg

Edited by CarlosCaligrafia

Pens:

Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Parker Arrow

Lamy Vista F / Lamy Safari EF / PELIKAN M400 M Vintage (for sale)

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

Sailor Sapporo B / Platinum 3776 BB Stub

Pilot Custom 91 SFM / Pilot Custom 74 Dark Blue B

INSTAGRAM: @carlosoutfocus

I've used a Safari and an al-star every day for the last ten years and neither has ever given me a day of trouble. My daughter uses both as well. If you like the Safari get another one!

Another vote for the Safari. You say you've researched the issue and a lot of people have had this problem. Although, I'm not from Missouri, I don't believe it. Please post links to your research. You're the first person I've ever come across that's had this problem. I know you're gun-shy to get another Safari, but this problem is a fluke. Contrary to what you're saying, the cap falling off is NOT a common problem with the Safari. I'm not saying no one has ever had this problem before. Just saying it is not a common problem. You're chances of getting another with the cap falling off are unarguably small (dare I say most likely infinitesimal).

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/138136-lamy-safari-cap-problem/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/202486-repair-a-lamy-safari-cap/

There are more around, but i couldnt find them this time.

There also have been several reports of FAKE Safaris. You may be a victim. Did you buy it from Amazon?

Maybe. Yes i did buy it off amazon. ill try to stop any differences.

I've used a Safari and an al-star every day for the last ten years and neither has ever given me a day of trouble. My daughter uses both as well. If you like the Safari get another one!

Maybe ill go for the al-star since its metal, i doubt it will wear out that easily. Thank you for the tip!

Simple, you can refill Pilot cartridges and use it in the Metro. I find the Metro sturdier than the Lamy. Saying that i have years with my Lamy and sans some scratchy nibs that I could not repair, I finally got a smooth EF, and begin to love it again.

Also Pilot fine is finer than Lamy EX. The finest lines in this sketch are from a Metro F and the boldest from a Lamy EF

Love the metro, too bad i bought a medium nib and its too broad to take everyday notes in class

Buy a Pilot Penmanship and a bigger converter for the Metro. Swap in the Penmanship's EF nib. Sorted?

Okay, I'll concede that some people have had problems with caps over the years. I was not aware of that. However, these are both old threads, with only a few recent posts on them. Considering all the Safaris sold, it seems there is a very tiny percentage of people that have had problems. I would still have all the confidence in the world to buy a Safari and not worry about the cap.

I agree with the others also. You might have bought a knockoff. See this video about how to spot a Lamy knockoff:http://goldspotpens.blogspot.com/2015/04/how-to-spot-knock-off-lamy-safari.html

Buy your next Lamy from Goulet, Anderson, or JetPens.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Buy a Pilot Penmanship and a bigger converter for the Metro. Swap in the Penmanship's EF nib. Sorted?

I didnt know you could do that! Thank you very much ill give that a try!

I swapped a Penmanship nib into a Leopard Metro for my little sister with a CON 50 converter. Total cost of the Penmanship and comverter was 15.

Maybe. Yes i did buy it off amazon. ill try to stop any differences.

Got pictures of the cap and pen the way it is now?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

... of course buying a new pen every week its not appealing at all.

Oh right, You said you were new here.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

If you're in the SF Bay Area, you might give Pen Posse a try. Bring your Safari and maybe you'll get some ideas for how to fix your cap. Some whip-smart folks comprise Pen Posse.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.