Inherited A Batch Of Pens......

Luke warm

and I am looking for some good, honest info in figuring out what I have and their value.

Any and all info is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Luke!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luke warm

• Ghost Plane

• SteveE

• fountainpenlady

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may as well know up front that no one is going to appraise your pens for you here, as all that can really be said is that this pen is (certainly, probably, maybe) a (brand)(model)(year) and that in perfect condition (which cannot be ascertained without examination) they often fetch a range of $ to $$. The condition part is very important.

And, photos need to include the whole pen capped and posted, and also the nib close up, and possibly a close up of the imprint/s if any, and those need to be in diffused bright lighting and extremely good focus.

Which you'll need to sell the pens anyway.

Edited by sombrueil

OK....I know I need detailed photos, but this is a start as to what I have.

There are many, many more...all unused, all without the boxes.

post-122185-0-69370400-1429644228_thumb.jpg

post-122185-0-55231000-1429644230_thumb.jpg

You're not likely to get much information without much better pictures showing far greater detail and best if only one pen at a time. You will need very good closeup pictures of all writing, nibs, sections, and in many cases internals.

post-122185-0-90450000-1429646297_thumb.jpgpost-122185-0-90450000-1429646297_thumb.jpgLooks like I've got my work cut out for me, which is not an issue.

I have about 700 pens, so I will get very detailed photos, and hopefully, get some info before the pen show here in a few weeks.

Here are a couple of detailed photos of a few of the pens.....

post-122185-0-34383700-1429646299_thumb.jpg

post-122185-0-77111000-1429646300_thumb.jpg

post-122185-0-11645200-1429646302_thumb.jpg

post-122185-0-64807500-1429646303_thumb.jpg

With 700 pens, best you start by doing some research on your own. At least figure out brands, etc.

Would you care to share the story of how you came to have all these pens? I agree with other posts that the best way to get IDs from this forum is to post one pen at a time with detailed photos.

A reminder that this thread is to help our new member, not turn this into a sales thread.

Given the sheer number, the original poster might want to consider a reputable consignment seller specializing in pens. We can help with names. Otherwise sort the pens by maker, then give very detailed photos of the front and back of the nibs with their feeds. That will help us date some of the pens.

This isn't an appraisal site, but we can certainly help educate you on what you have.

Set the ballpoints to one side. They're less valuable and once you've learned a little about the fountains, the ballpoint info will fall into place.

A reminder that this thread is to help our new member, not turn this into a sales thread.

Given the sheer number, the original poster might want to consider a reputable consignment seller specializing in pens. We can help with names. Otherwise sort the pens by maker, then give very detailed photos of the front and back of the nibs with their feeds. That will help us date some of the pens.

This isn't an appraisal site, but we can certainly help educate you on what you have.

Set the ballpoints to one side. They're less valuable and once you've learned a little about the fountains, the ballpoint info will fall into place.

:thumbup:

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

If it's an inheritance from a loved one or family member you might want to work out which pen or pens you would like to keep before you do anything. Then you might ask here what the ones you want to keep are and how best to look after them and use them.

Indescribable,

Thanks for your input. A life long friend of mine was a collector of many, many things....pens being one of them. I was "gifted" these pens, along with cameras, knives, watches, and a lot more items. Most of which I have no clue as to their value, age, etc.......

I'm a guitar collector, and this has opened up a new challenge for me. I tried to find someone local to help me out, but I feel like I'm dealing with Rick from Pawn Stars store. No thank you!!!

I will do what I can to get detailed info/photos, and I truly appreciate all your help.

Are the photos I posted of the gold Montblanc ok, or do I need more detailed photos?

Edited by Luke warm

For MBs (Montblancs), you want to show the black feed underneath the nib as well. It's not so important for the Boheme (your gold pen) as they're relatively recent, but the resins will show variations that will help dating. As will Germany vs W Germany, pix or no pix, and other variations underneath the clip or on the band

You're getting there!

Agree, not to mention without knowing where the person got this large lot of pens, we could be accused of aiding and abetting in crime unintentionally. We have been informed as to a rash of pen thefts. You never know. Just sayin'.... :lticaptd:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Agree, not to mention without knowing where the person got this large lot of pens we may be aiding and abetting in crime unintentionally. We have been informed as to a rash of thefts. You never know. Just sayin'.... :lticaptd:

Yeah, no!!! None of what I have has been stolen, and if it was, not only would I have never accepted ANY of the items I have, but the perps would have been turned over to the authorities.

Only a knucklehead would post photos of stolen property on the internet, and a knucklehead I am not!! B)

700 pens? Sounds like an awful lot of work and stress. You should just give them all to me. :)

Edited by Cordovian

700 pens? Sounds like an awful lot of work and stress. You should just give them all to me. :)

I'm retired....so a lot of spare time I have, but thanks for offering to take them off my hands! :)