Parker Frontier Nib Replacement

Ruskinator

Good day, evening or night to you all,

I'm what you call a beginner in this fine world of fountain pens with having 2 Parker Pens as of now, a Frontier and Urban FP. Let me just get to the point here, I need a Nib replacement for my Parker Frontier (I use a medium nib although I can live with a fine one) can anyone recommend me some websites for getting a replacement and if you happen to be a Singaporean, could you direct me to any shops that have the item?

Edited by Ruskinator

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• beboy

• mitto

• Ruskinator

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ruskinator,

I think these are getting harder to find now. I used to buy mine from the online pen company, but they no longer have stock. I don't know where I would go for one now. I might even be tempted to buy a cheap frontier from eBay just to get the nib section.

Sorry I can't be more helpful :(

Paul

Edited by scalawag

Good day, evening or night to you all,

I'm what you call a beginner in this fine world of fountain pens with having 2 Parker Pens as of now, a Frontier and Urban FP. Let me just get to the point here, I need a Nib replacement for my Parker Frontier (I use a medium nib although I can live with a fine one) can anyone recommend me some websites for getting a replacement and if you happen to be a Singaporean, could you direct me to any shops that have the item?

Hello,

Parker Sonnet latest nibs model fit on the Frontier. This one:

post-109850-0-89898700-1429761108.jpg

As a matter of fact, I have the impression that newest nib model and fixation method has been copied on the Frontier (maybe to save on the material for the gold nibs). Recent Sonnet nibs (the 2 holes on the tail need to be square, not round), both in steel or gold, might be easier to find than a Frontier one.

NOTE: Although the feed look very similar on both pens, they are not the same size and are not swappable. Only the nib is swappable.

Hope it helps

Edited by beboy

So, you swap the Sonnet nib onto the Frontier feed. I think I tried this with the older Sonnet nibs and it didn't fit somehow, or I am sure my Frontiers would have sported some of my extra Sonnet gold nibs. They must be rationalizing production now and making them compatible.

I have an extra Frontier fine nib and section, but shipping it to Singapore from Michigan would probably cost more than it's worth.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

So, you swap the Sonnet nib onto the Frontier feed. I think I tried this with the older Sonnet nibs and it didn't fit somehow, or I am sure my Frontiers would have sported some of my extra Sonnet gold nibs. They must be rationalizing production now and making them compatible.

I have an extra Frontier fine nib and section, but shipping it to Singapore from Michigan would probably cost more than it's worth.

Affirmative. It won't work with older Sonnet nibs, but newer nibs (only the ones with the same imprints as those currently found on Parker's web site) have the same morphology as Frontier nibs. I will try to take a picture of the Frontier sitting in a drawer at my workplace next week.

That's a pretty good thing to know, thanks for posting it. Usually if there's a way to slip a gold nib into a pen that comes only with steel nibs, I enjoy poking around and making it work, but only if the result fits and gets good nib to feed contact, and it has to fit securely into the section. No wobbly wannabe writers.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

That's a pretty good thing to know, thanks for posting it. Usually if there's a way to slip a gold nib into a pen that comes only with steel nibs, I enjoy poking around and making it work, but only if the result fits and gets good nib to feed contact, and it has to fit securely into the section. No wobbly wannabe writers.

Here it is:

post-109850-0-78380300-1430529826_thumb.jpg

Here it is:

attachicon.gifIMG_0074.JPG

Thank you, beboy. You didn't forget your promise. And the Refresh version Sonnet nib looks so pretty in the Frontier. Is it a 18k gold nib or just a plated one? And , what about the writing experience? I mean is the Frontier feed working well with the Sonnet nib?

Khan M. Ilyas

Thank you, beboy. You didn't forget your promise. And the Refresh version Sonnet nib looks so pretty in the Frontier. Is it a 18k gold nib or just a plated one? And , what about the writing experience? I mean is the Frontier feed working well with the Sonnet nib?

It is the 18k gold nib. This is not my favorite nib, as I find it a bit scratchy (fine point, but with very small tipping for a western nib), but it works just find on the Frontier feed. I would surely try a medium or broad if I had one.

It is the 18k gold nib. This is not my favorite nib, as I find it a bit scratchy (fine point, but with very small tipping for a western nib), but it works just find on the Frontier feed. I would surely try a medium or broad if I had one.

That is just what I found about the Sonnet nibs. The fine being scratchy. Just last week I refused to receive my Sonnet Sterling Silver Cisele' unless it is equipped with either medium or broad nib. And , the dealer had to arrange a medium nib for me from Parker distributors in Karachi .

Nice to know the Sonnet nib works fine in Frontier with Frontier's own feed. Thank you , beboy.

Khan M. Ilyas

Here it is:

attachicon.gifIMG_0074.JPG

Looks wonderful. I like the Frontier size and light weight more than Sonnet's size and weight.

Sonnet nibs in fine and extra fine can be pretty smooth. I have both steel and 18K fines and extra fines and they are smooth, as received from the French pen seller on Amazon and from penpartsstore on ebay. First generation two tone fine is the best fine tending to extra fine I have used. The yellow gold fines and rhodium plated extra fine nibs ditto.

• 1 month later...

Hi Pajaro,

I would be interested in the very fine frontier nib, if you don't mind :)

Let me know.

Ulli

My stuff is packed in tubs, because we are trying to sell our house. I'll look in the tubs and see if I can find it. If I can find it I'll send it to you gratis. The nib unit is a fine I took off of a Frontier Flighter when I replaced it with an italic. I think Parker described the italic as "Gothic." PM me an address to mail the fine nib to if you want it.