I Want An Esterbrook

grrtt

Hey all you Estie experts,

I'm a fountain pen noob, but after reading around the forum about Esterbrooks, and subsequently shopping around on ebay, I've decided that in the near future I might like an Esterbrook in my collection.

I'm probably opening a huge can of worms here, but what should I get and why? What's a good model for a first Esterbrook experience? Also, what should I pay for it? Any other recommendations?

-grrtt-

nibwise.wordpress.com: One man's journey toward fountain pen enlightenment.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Chouffleur

• pajaro

• Charles Rice

A standard J in your favorite color is a great way to start. I'd look for a nicely restored one (polished, new sac, good nib). Look for a 9xxx series nib as they are "osmiridium" tipped - harder material that has probably withstood the years better (though there are still plenty of brand new ones available).

The J is the largest size (though I would call it average in comparison to the whole world of fountain pens).

I believe there is a good seller of restored Esterbrooks on Etsy.com, though I can't vouch for them. I have read good things about their work, however.

My favorite Esterbrook is a blue SJ - the tiny size goes well with a tiny journal and is easy to carry around. My second choice is a demi-size dollar pen, but I have small hands and appreciate just what a nice pen these little guys are.

If you can't find one for really cheap or free at a garage sale or from some older friend, you are not trying.

Better to get hooked on these than something much more costly. They are American too.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...

I have a red Esterbrook fountain pen to sell. I believe the nib says 1554 on it. I don't know much about pens but would be happy to sell this to someone who appreciates them. Email me at picketfences3@gmail.com

Great link. Thanks.

Here's an example of a "J" that probably won't be too costly: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTERBROOK-BLACK-DOUBLE-JEWEL-FOUNTAIN-PEN-2668-NIB-/191607247748?

This one will require repair so it will probably go fairly cheap. I have now done this repair (re-sac) on an Estie with no problem and I started on this hobby a month after you posted your question so it's not particularly difficult. Already fixed will cost a bit more. I steered you toward a 'J' because that seemed to be the general consensus. depending on what feels comfortable in *your* hand, an "LJ" (Yay!) or "SJ" might be more appropiate. I'd start by looking at the Pay It Forward, Loaner Programs & Group Buys to try out an Estie. I already had an LJ on hand so I skipped this step.

Have fun.

I really like my Esterbrook J. Some of them came in really pretty colors, but even the plain black ones are handsome. Pick one at a good low price and buy it. You may want to consider one of the iridium-tipped nibs, though; they will last much longer.

-Evan

First FIT. And that depends on your hand.

The larger J would be appropriate for most guys.

The thinner LJ for people with smaller hands, or like me who prefer slimline pens.

The SJ is simply a shorter LJ, if you like shorter pens.

Unless you have resaced pens before, I recommend you buy a pen that has had its sac replaced. Even if still flexible, a 40+ year old sac could fail next week. So you either buy it resaced, or you will have to pay someone to resac the pen for you + shipping to/from them. Generally, it is cheaper to buy a pen that has been resaced, as the added cost to ship to, resac, ship back will add up. The most dangerous part of resacing is removing the section. If it is loose, you are lucky. If it is TIGHT, you are unlucky and that section will take work to remove without damaging or destroying the body (been there done that, and they are in my AW SH*T box :( ).

If you don't intend to use the pen a lot, you can save $ by getting one with a 1xxx or 2xxx series nib, rather than the more expensive 9xxx series nib.

The J series come in 6 colors, so choose your favorite color; red, copper, green, blue, grey and black.

Except for black, there are variations of the 5 colors (light or dark), depending on how the plastics were loaded into the machinery at the factory.

gud luk on your quest

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

One line in this great doc intrigued me. "There are methods using common household materials to polish an Esterbrook you've re-sacced for $2 to a mirror like, better than new finish."

Details?

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

A standard J is also what I am looking for. (Also on the hunt to find a 2312 or 9312 nib.)

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

The nice thing is that you don't have to wait to get both together. You can find the J you want, and continue looking for the nib, if you don't find them together in the combination you like.

When you buy an Esterbrook, you're not getting one pen, you're getting many. They just don't like to be lonely. B)

One line in this great doc intrigued me. "There are methods using common household materials to polish an Esterbrook you've re-sacced for $2 to a mirror like, better than new finish."

Details?

Handled backchannel.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

"The world's most personal pen": that was an Esterbrook advertising slogan in the early '50s. Esterbrook suggested that a buyer select the Renew Point that best fit their hand/style/personality/taste; then pick a pen-body. Buy one pen-body and three points...like buying three different pens.

The page Bruce links, https://docs.google...._ubRcLprO4/edit, says it all.

Changes I would make, now:

- An Esterbrook makes a good first fountain pen...not just good first vintage pen.

- My favorite point, the 9668 medium, has gotten hard to find. Prices have increased on most of the 9xxx points. Esties are popular

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight