Sheaffer Customer Service Excels

Pickwick

First, here is the story. I lived in England until I met the American lady in 1998 who would become my wife . She lived in California and we corresponded with each other for the following 6 months whilst I awaited a visa in order for us to be married in the United States.

To commemorate our first meeting, I went into my local Stationery store and browsed the fountain pens to send one to her. I chose a gold plated Sheaffer which I believe was known as an Agio, and the later derivations Fashion. Like all pens on sale at that time they took cartridges. It was nicely boxed, I bought it along with a box of cartridges and mailed it to her, which looking back was somewhat ironic sending an American pen back to its origins!

Well, that pen was used everyday writing letters to me, goodness knows how many cartridges it went through.

When we got married, the pen was placed in a box of our letters, much the worse for wear, the clip was missing. Still, it was now a souvenir amongst memories.

A couple of years ago I took it out and wondered whether I might get a replacement clip and restore it.

I contacted Sheaffer customer service, telling them the story of the pen, and the memories it held. I got a quick response letting me know I could get a replacement cap for $16, which I ordered.

When I received the package, to my surprise I found not only a replacement cap but also a barrel included, along with a nice handwritten note!

I sent an email of gratitude. I tried to get the pen writing again, but to no avail. I fitted it with a small Pilot aerometric filler, but it still wouldn't work.

Recently I was going through the box of letters and took out the pen. Hmmm... I wonder. I filled it with Waterman Violet ink, and it started writing to my surprise. Now it has a place on our desk not just a memory, but a reminder of our letters, and now writing to friends and relatives.

My thanks to Sheaffer continuing its legacy, of first class service and reliability.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pickwick

• Ron Z

• graystranger

Top Posters In This Topic

This is wonderful to know that Sheaffer will stand behind a 17 year old fountain pen.

I enjoyed reading about your Sheaffer pen and its memories. In 1997 I started using a Sheaffer Lifetime fountain pen that I got as a high school graduation gift in 1965 but had used it very little and probably none since 1968. Once I got the dried ink residue flushed out and saw what a wonderful writing pen it was, I took it to work and used it daily. Still using it now. I even found the letter I received from Sheaffer in 1965 from registering the pen with them.

I am also using two Sheaffer Snorkel desk pens - one dating back to early 60's (my late brother-in-law's) and a 1957 I got on eBay. Both restored, wonderful pens. I also bought a Sheaffer Prelude fountain pen in 1997 that is a very nice writing pen also. Still being used sporadically.

I am going to write Sheaffer customer service and send them a copy of my registration letter and tell them how much I love their fountain pens.

Thanks for sharing your memories and experience with Sheaffer.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

This is wonderful to know that Sheaffer will stand behind a 17 year old fountain pen.

I enjoyed reading about your Sheaffer pen and its memories. In 1997 I started using a Sheaffer Lifetime fountain pen that I got as a high school graduation gift in 1965 but had used it very little and probably none since 1968. Once I got the dried ink residue flushed out and saw what a wonderful writing pen it was, I took it to work and used it daily. Still using it now. I even found the letter I received from Sheaffer in 1965 from registering the pen with them.

I am also using two Sheaffer Snorkel desk pens - one dating back to early 60's (my late brother-in-law's) and a 1957 I got on eBay. Both restored, wonderful pens. I also bought a Sheaffer Prelude fountain pen in 1997 that is a very nice writing pen also. Still being used sporadically.

I am going to write Sheaffer customer service and send them a copy of my registration letter and tell them how much I love their fountain pens.

Thanks for sharing your memories and experience with Sheaffer.

Thank you for your kind response, good to hear you got your pen working again.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

The service department in Ft. Madison indeed had some great people. Sheaffer is now owned by Cross, and service moved to Rhode Island a month or so ago. It will be interesting to see how the new customer service department under Cross does.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The service department in Ft. Madison indeed had some great people. Sheaffer is now owned by Cross, and service moved to Rhode Island a month or so ago. It will be interesting to see how the new customer service department under Cross does.

When takeovers come about, there are usually changes not necessarily for the better.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick