Combo Collection

spacecoastpenny

If you read the Easterbrook section you will know I am in the process of sorting and bringing all my fountain pens back to working order. I started with my Easterbrooks and second up is all my Combos. Since I am thinning the collection, I will be selecting only 1 or 2 of these pens to keep.

In way of combos this hat I have.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/radiosailor/combos/DSC09967_zpslpgvqw2m.jpg

Wearever Arnold Packard Schnell Arnold Treasure

I love the colors on the Packard however the Schnell is a great writer. Once I have them all rebuilt I will post more photos and give better reviews.

Edited by spacecoastpenny
spacecoastbanner_FP.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spacecoastpenny

• kazoolaw

• TorPelikan

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

For reasons that are unclear, I've picked up two Mabie Swallow combos, and keep looking for more in other colors.

I'm sure you don't need to be told the Schnell PenselPen is a high ticket item in a field of second/third tier pens: congrats!

gary

Thanks Gary,

I have done some research and found it to be a collectable pen. I love the look of the clip.

One of my favorite guitar comes from your home town it seems.

How do your Mabie write?

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

Please post updates on the restoration process. I have an Arnold combo I picked up a couple of years ago but don't know where to begin. Part of the problem is that there is black stuff that is gumming up the lever and I can't tell if it's dried ink or that the sac got gummy and oozed and then hardened. I'm presuming that the pen is celluloid and I haven't been able to get a definitive answer as to whether or not it's safe to soak celluloid for extended periods. And that's assuming that it *is* celluloid, and not casein....

Mine is similar to your smaller Arnold, but is a pale yellow cracked ice (is that the pattern, cracked ice?) instead of the green.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've got an ARNOLD just exactly the same as yours. Small light greenish one.

It has "SIGNATURE 2 MADE IN USA" on its butterfly nib.

Surprisingly, its sac is alive now.

But I've all forgotten whether I've replaced it or not!

The pen is so small and it can carry so small amount of ink, I cannot find a way to use it.

They have smallish nibs, both with fine points. I've not gotten used to their balance, as the caps don't post securely enough to achieve a balance for me to do more than use them as dip pens.

Also forgot that I Have a New Banker: there's no accounting for (the lack of) taste.

Are your combos daily users?

gary

Edited by gary

Inkstainedruth, I will post photos of the rebuild. I read that lighter fluid will clean your pen. You may want to ask the experts however if it works for I have never used it.

Gary, No I don't use them everyday. I only have the Schnell in working order so far. I just love that airplane clip. When I bought it it was in a baggie full of pens Parkers, Waterman, Shearers and a Swan. So I first paid attention to the other pens and put the Schnell in my to go through later box. About 2 months later I got the Packard in a box full of pens I bought and has when I revisited the Schnell pen. Soon after I bought the Wherever on its own for $1, so there I was a had 3 combos and the way I look at things that meant I had a collection. The remainder came with other bulk pen purchases.

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

I have a bunch of these that I picked up in an estate lot I purchased. Some of them are really nice writers, even if they are tree trunks. I have a yellow Arnold, like the green one. I also have a number of unbranded ones. The branded ones include a black Packard, Travelers, Epenco, Fifth Avenue, Onward, Welsh, and a Favorite (very tiny) souvenir pen of Pittsburgh. There are some really nice patterns on a lot of these old combos. I may put some of them up in the classifieds here.