Initial Review -- Asa Sniper

DaveBj

I received my ASA Sniper in matte black Saturday, and here is my initial review. No pics, but I'll try to post one below tomorrow. There is one pic here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/289183-got-some-mail-from-india-today/

Information on material and the pen's precise dimensions can be found here: http://asapens.in/eshop/asa-sniper-hooded-nib-fountain-pen-india-online?search=sniper (No affiliation, other than that of a satisfied customer)

What made me decide to order one was the appearance in the photos from the ASA website, and the initial appearance when I opened the envelope and dug through the multiple layers of packing and protection was very favorable. The ebonite finish is very regular and just rough enough to provide a good grip on the section; no slippage at all; clear demonstrators are also available. The barrel has the name "Sniper" engraved on it, and below that, "ASA Pens India 2015." The Jowo #5 nib in enclosed in a hooded section that screws into the barrel, and there are a lot of threads between the ink inside and the outside world. The cap screws on and posts securely. The clip is firmly attached, and there is no filial.

Make no mistake, this is a big pen. The capped length is almost identical with that of a Jinhao 159, and both posted and unposted, it is about 10 mm longer than a 159. However, it is not a heavy pen. The barrel and section diameters are slightly less than those of the 159. I have large paws, and I don't like really skinny writing tools (like the classic Cross chrome BP and mechanical pencil), but beyond that, I'm pretty easy to please; the pens in my arsenal have a fairly wide range of diameters, weights, and balances (I can write just fine with the TWSBI 580 posted, for example). Besides that, I have an unusual grip, with the pen resting between my index and middle fingers. The Sniper slots into my hand like it belongs there. I just got done writing a two-page letter with no hint of fatigue.

The Jowo nibs are a known quantity on these forums. I went for the fine-point; medium, bold, and 1.1-mm are also available. It writes with a thicker line than the Japanese fine-point nibs, about the same as the medium nib on my old Sailor 21 pocket pen, but I knew about this, and I'm not at all disappointed with the line that it lays down. The pen is a 3-in-1 filler, taking either a Schmidt K5 converter, or a cartridge (presumably standard international size, but the company website does not specify), or a shot of ink directly into the barrel. I happen to like the simplicity of eyedropper filling, so I shot a dropper-full of Black Cashmere into the barrel, greased the section threads, screwed the section back on, and after a few seconds of light scribbling, the ink was flowing, and it was ready to write. The procedure is the same when the pen has been stored point-up; the ink drains away, and it takes a few (but only a few) seconds for the ink to get back to the point of the nib. Once the ink is flowing, the pen writes very well -- no runs, no skips, no drips. I know for sure that the barrel is nowhere full (in other words, there's a lot of air in there), but there has been no hint of burping. I haven't tested it for how long it can stay uncapped without drying out, but when I was writing my letter, there were uncapped pauses, and when I picked it up again, it was immediately ready to write.

In summary, this is a very good-looking pen that is very pleasant to use. At $55, including shipping from Chennai to the U.S., this one is a keeper.

Edited by DaveBj

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaveBj

• Aysedasi

• NinthSphere

• bbycrts

Here are the promised pictures:

fpn_1429546497__aaasniper1.jpg

fpn_1429546568__aaasniper2.jpg

fpn_1429546626__aaasniper3.jpg

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

DaveBj

This makes the wait for mine MUCH harder. Thanks for the review! As soon as the sort center in New York lets it go, it is MINE!

I got mine a few days ago as well. I have the mottled olive with the 1.1 italic nib.

The pen is well built and the ebonite is polished very well indeed. I am quite pleased with the quality of the recent ASA creations. That being said, I did have a bit of starting hiccups with the nib. It refused to write initially and needed to floss the tines to get the ink flow started. However after a little bit of smoothing it is an absolutely wonderful writer.The italic is just the right width for everyday writing and not too wet for use on poor quality paper.

Needless to say, I am very happy with the pen and I see it being a regular part of my rotation.

Edited by Stranger in town

:) Stranger no more :)

My Sniper was waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home yesterday! What a great suprise!

I haven't had time to ink it up, but in terms of form, I love it! The shape is fanastic, it is nice and light weight without feeling cheap, and the style just can't be beat.

I opted for the all-matte because, well, it's a Sniper - it should be covert! I will ink it this evening; I'm looking forward to getting it in the writing rotation.

i just rcvd mine....

:D

DaveBj

Has anyone gotten the demonstrator version yet?

Yes, with forest green cap and section. Had it for a few days. Wonderfully looking. Easily the best demonstrator I own.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered mine on 3rd April. Was told it was going to be despatched on 18th April. Despite 4 emails, I have no idea what is happening...... How long are others waiting? I know it will take a while to get to me, but I don't even know if it's been sent yet...... :(

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Ordered mine on 3rd April. Was told it was going to be despatched on 18th April. Despite 4 emails, I have no idea what is happening...... How long are others waiting? I know it will take a while to get to me, but I don't even know if it's been sent yet...... :(

Got an email after ordering that said it would be shipped on April 24th with an email notice. Haven't heard anything since. Haven't gotten around to emailing ASA.

Had a reply from Subramaniam, with apologies for the delay. Looks like they've been overwhelmed by demand and they only make two pens per day. Mine is due to be ready to ship a week today.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Had a reply from Subramaniam, with apologies for the delay. Looks like they've been overwhelmed by demand and they only make two pens per day. Mine is due to be ready to ship a week today.

Wow! Makes me feel very lucky indeed!

DaveBj

The waiting for this pen is really difficult but it is well worth it. The pen is beautiful in hand!

Figured as much, but two pens a day? No wonder there's a delay.