Wet Blue-Black Recommendations

strictlyobiter

Good afternoon everyone, I would love some thoughts on this topic. I have searched but I cannot find a similar thread.

I am looking for recommendations of WET blue-black inks. So far I have tried:

mixture of Waterman Black and Serenity Blue - nice but the colour fades quickly in my experience

Sailor Jentle Blue Black - way too dry

Sailor Sei Boku - I LOVE this ink but it's even drier than Jentle Blue Black

Noodler's 54th - I find after 2/3 pages it starts to dry out any pen I use

Cult Pens DDB - lovely ink with generally a good flow but after 1/2 a page it starts to become dry in my experience

Pelikan BB (old and new) - way too dry

Rohrer & Klinger Salix - perfect colour but very very dry

My thoughts for inks that might suit me:

Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

J. Herbin Bleu Nuit

Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Kai

Any suggestions on wet blue black inks? I use fat nibbed broad,music,stub and italic nibs only which I have had tuned for flow. My writing paper of choice is Clairefontaine wirebound notebooks and QConnect Bank paper reams for work purposes.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strictlyobiter

• gylyf

• tmenyc

• VivienR

Diamine blue black, Iron Tsuki You are pretty wet.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I find Sailor Shigure to be *very* wet. Pilot Blue Black is also fairly wet.

+1 on the Pilot Blue Black. On the other hand, Sailor Shigure is a very lubricated and smooth ink but it is not blue-black. It's a very nice and dark purple-black which can be used in formal settings in lieu of a blue-black ink.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I will get some Diamine Blue Black and Pilot Blue Black. I'm actually on my second bottle of Shigure! Love the stuff but it's definitely black-purple :)

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I will get some Diamine Blue Black and Pilot Blue Black. I'm actually on my second bottle of Shigure! Love the stuff but it's definitely black-purple :)

I find blue-black to be perhaps the most elusive category to define. For example, Sei-boku hardly fits the definition of what I would consider to be a traditional blue-black. Nor does Tsuki-yo or Herbin Bleu Nuit, which also has a violet tinge to it. Fair warning, you probably won't find Pilot Blue Black to really fit the traditional blue-black mould either:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/morocons/Ink/692E4043-C48B-4536-A6B4-D454F7AF95E4_zpsnyxhgiud.jpg

Still, it's a great ink! And Diamine BB is very nice as well.

Edited by gylyf

Thanks Gylyf for that swab. Much appreciated. I agree with what you say about the nature of blue black inks. I must say I am quite enamoured by the colour of the Pilot blue-black!

The Pilot Namiki blue black seems more blueish, but excellent flow.

The Monteverde blue black seems darker, but excellent flow.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

Noodler's Blue-Black is wet, nearly bullet-proof, and has some shading.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

As mentioned Noodler's Blue-Black is very nice but I like Noodler's Navy even better. You Can dilute a bit for more interesting color.

I'm using an unmeasured mix of Aurora black and Aurora blue now, and like it. It was the remains of a black vial and a blue vial in my shoulder bag; not enough in either to fill a pen, so I combined them. Not a true blue-black, but it's wet and it worked. Next time I'll start with blue and add drops of black until it's right.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Diamine Midnight is quite wet. To me it's more of a dark blue than a true blue - black but if wet is what you want, Midnight won't disappoint.

I'm using an unmeasured mix of Aurora black and Aurora blue now, and like it. It was the remains of a black vial and a blue vial in my shoulder bag; not enough in either to fill a pen, so I combined them. Not a true blue-black, but it's wet and it worked. Next time I'll start with blue and add drops of black until it's right.

Tim

I'm using a mix of Aurora Blue:Black at 3:1 and I love the resultant colour. Suits me fine.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Frankly, I'm not clear on the whole 'wet/dry' thing. I tend to attribute it more to the pen than the ink since it seems to me that the same ink behaves differently in different pens.

I just today started using the FPN Noodler's Starry Night today. Great blue-black, imo. It's a 'black with a little something extra'. More blue noticeable on my fingers than on the paper.

I maybe in the minority here.... but I've taking a strong liking to Hero 232. Its an iron gall ink, but it makes a fantastic blueblack as far as I'm concerned. It also runs wet in most of the pens I've run it through.

I'm using a mix of Aurora Blue:Black at 3:1 and I love the resultant colour. Suits me fine.

Thanks, Cap'n! That'll save me some experimenting the next time!

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Thanks, Cap'n! That'll save me some experimenting the next time!

Tim

No problem. I started with 2:1 then added a bit more blue each time so my resultant TWSBI bottle is near 3:1. BUT an original test using just drops, came out with the 3:1 being optimum - for me, of course!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"