Lamy Al-Star Copperorange Review

Pencilcaseblog

-This review is an adapted version of the one that can be found on my personal blog (www.pencilcaseblog.com). Visit my blog for more pictures, a copy of the written review and of course many other pen, pencil, paper and ink reviews. Enjoy the review! (Full review:http://www.pencilcaseblog.com/2015/04/lamy-al-star-copperorange-fountain-pen.html)-

post-113505-0-57896600-1429437924_thumb.jpg

Ah yes! Another Lamy Al-star! One of many things in life that succeeds perfectly in dividing the world into two groups: the peeps that love it to bits, and the ones that absolutely hate it. Although you might want to add a third group for the people like me, somewhere in between the love and hate!

It's not that I don't like these pens. In fact, to be honest, this is probably the kind of pen I use most of the time. But there's a difference between using it and loving it I think. They're great pens for what they do, but as far as looks go, I'm not a huge fan.

post-113505-0-09794100-1429437927_thumb.jpg

That's why I also didn't expect myself to like this new copperorange color, the limited edition for 2015. I'm not that fond of bright colors anyway, so it felt like a lost cause... But now that I used it in real life, I actually quite like it! Especially when paired with the new copperorange cartridges, this thing is pretty cool. In real life, the orange color is vivid and bright, yet slightly less than what you see on the pictures. My camera picked it up like this, and even after bringing the saturation down, it still appears slightly brighter than it actually is.

It's a bright pen, don't get me wrong, but I actually quite like the not-so-punch-in-the-face kind of orange they used on this one. I don't know if copperorange is an actual color, but the name does a good job at describing what this pen looks like. The ink color is also pretty much spot-on, and it's a nice ink to use (I'd even dare to say it's slightly better than the bottled inks I have from lamy, it behaves slightly better).

The big benefit of the Al-Star over the Lamy Safari, is the all-Aluminium build. It gives the pen a more solid feeling, and the annodized finish definitely looks a lot better than the plastic Safari. Other than the change in materials, and a larger diameter, it's still pretty much the same pen. It has the same overall design and dimensions as the Safari, and yes, also the same pre-formed grip section...

post-113505-0-39121300-1429437929_thumb.jpg

The pre-formed grip section is probably the biggest gripe of most people, and it's definitely something you have to get used to when using one of these for the first time. It can be considered a downside for some, but at the other hand, this pen is directed towards beginner fountain pen users, who will definitely benefit from having a certain 'guide' on how to hold the pen while writing.

I popped in my trusty 1.5mm stub nib to get the most out of the ink, and just because I like the calligraphy nibs Lamy makes. However I did notice that it is especially sensitive to oils on the paper; When you write, the oils on your hand transfer to the paper underneath, which can cause lesser performance with some pens. And this nib is definitely one of those pens that struggle with it.

post-113505-0-76818900-1429437931_thumb.jpg

Other than that, it's still a great performer. Give it a fine or medium nib, and the performance of the pen is much more consistent. It has a steady, normal flow, and the steel nibs from lamy are quite smooth, though with a hint of feedback.

In for a bright pen? Then this limited edition Copperorange Al-Star won't dissapoint. The Al-Star is a solid step up from the regular Lamy safari, while remaining very affordable, at 27 EUR / 38 USD. At that price point, it's pretty much a no-brainer, even if you're not a huge fan of that strange grip section. I'd also make sure to pick up some of the Copperorange ink cartridges while you're at it, which makes for a great pen and ink combo!

post-113505-0-52717300-1429438016_thumb.jpg

I'm currently doing a GIVEAWAY on my blog (runs 'till 26th of April 2015)! Make sure to enter for a chance to win a Lamy Al-Star Copperorange fountain pen and matching ink cartridges! Check out the giveaway here!

Edited by Pencilcaseblog

Dries | The PencilCase Blog | www.pencilcaseblog.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pencilcaseblog

• polydeucesL5@gmail.com

• visvamitra

• penxade

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic review. Hopefully I can make one that's as good as your standard some day.

Just a curious question though, is the lamy al-star quite capable of daily carry, did you have any leak problems with it please?

Cheers.

Fantastic review. Hopefully I can make one that's as good as your standard some day.

Just a curious question though, is the lamy al-star quite capable of daily carry, did you have any leak problems with it please?

Cheers.

Wow thanks! I'm flattered! :)

As for your question, I have a couple of Al-stars (and safari's for that matter) and never encountered any issues with daily carry! These are my workhorse pens, and they haven't failed on me once! Having said that, do keep in mind that I always put my pens in a pouch when I take them with me!

Kind regards,

Dries

Dries | The PencilCase Blog | www.pencilcaseblog.com

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice review! Interestingly, I am not a fan of orange, but I felt strangely drawn to this pen. I purchased it, along with a 1.1 stub nib and converter, and had thoroughly enjoyed it. I even bought the the Lamy CopperOrange ink. It has become one of my favorite daily work pens, and seems to get a lot of comments. I haven't had any problems with it to date.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I resisted this color as something I wouldn't normally buy. But, for some reason, I thought, what the heck, I don't want to put limitations on my expanding enjoyment of ink, so too with this pen. In person, it has a nice slightly burnt orange look that you see on some recent vehicle paint schemes. I paired it with Noodler's Habanero which has great shading, and the combination is one of my top two favorites. Great for a fun letter and putting a smile on my face when I see it in an otherwise reserved quiver of pens.

At first I never dreamed that I would like the color on this pen but after seeing it I had to have one! Thanks for the great review!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Nice review.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Great job on the review! I have the Copper Orange and love it. Its amazing what a color can do to the enjoyment of a pen