Reflections On The Marketplace

jmeldorf

After about three years back using fountain pens, I had the pleasure of attending my first pen show today: Atlanta, 2015. I was struck by the quantity of exceedingly large, or highly-decorated, pens that were on display. I cannot understand why.

Personally, I would never want to use a pen as thick and long and heavy as some of these. Neither would I want the discomfort of trying to use a pen covered with metal filligree. I want a pen, first and foremost, that serves its primary function: to write and write well, with comfort in my hand. Only then do I look to designs, or color, or type of material, in deciding whether to purchase or pass.

I respect the artistry in these oversized pens. I can imagine picking one up occasionally, and marvelling at the handiwork and honoring the non-present artisan who created it. But I would not spend a dime to buy one, nor hint for one at Christmas.

Am I missing something? Or are these pens merely canvases upon which to create, but never to use, the beauty found thereon.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcelo

• wspohn

• jmeldorf

• sakayume

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm actually at the same show.

Pens speak a different language to each person attracted to the hobby. Some speak design, some speak utilitarian.

While all utilize a basic vocabulary (weight, size, etc.) the dominant language spoken to each of us can be vastly different.

A love for the hobby is the language we all speak together.

I'm a bit unclear if your concern is the over-decoration or the size. Luckily, I have opinions on both! :P

Size:

I don't like small pens. A Noodler's Nib Creaper, for example, is too small for my tastes. The Noodler's Konrad is about right. I own an Edison Collier which is large, but the grip is sized right, even if the pen is big. However, I recently bought a Jinhao 159 and discovered there is an upper limit on pen size for me. Since this pen is frequently compared with the Montblanc 149 (at least in size and basic appearance) and some kind of Pelikan, this suggests to me that I wouldn't like these pens.

So, I like a happy medium, probably on the larger size of medium. A Noodler's Konrad, a Pilot Custom 823, a TWSBI vac700, an Edison Collier, and others are all a nice size. My heaviest pen, a Monteverde Regatta Sport, is comfortable to hold, but I'll concede that it is a bit too heavy. I wish it was lighter.

But, on a funny side note, I really love writing with my Lamy 2000, which is certainly smaller than a Noodler's Konrad.

Decoration:

I don't like gaudy decoration, especially what I've seen on some pens that looks sharp. However, I think that this kind of decoration is meant more as art than as functional design. I own two pens with painted designs on them of dragons. They're cool.

However, I've looked at pictures of super-expensive pens (think more than my house) and of some of the fancy Jinhao pens covered with 3-dimensional dragons. Those bother me as writing tools. But, I don't think these pens are sold for the writing. Seriously, does someone write with a $1 million diamond-studded pen? They're meant for display the way I might show off a painting or a photograph.

I figure to each his own. I don't waste my money on a decorative pen. I want to write with my pens. I'm actually going to give away my two dragon pens because, while I think they're gorgeous, I don't like writing with them because of the nibs.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I think the pens described by the OP are generally gaudy and ugly. Also, I agree with Waski. These pens are not usually for writing, but for show. Personally, even if I could afford one, I wouldn't buy one.

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Trying to understand the taste of other people uses energy which could be used for much more profitable activities.

I am totally snobby about the pens I like, and feel that they are, frankly, the only pens worth liking. But, I also know I'm wrong. I mean, does ink come out the end? Then it probably has a friend somewhere who calls it a pen, and loves it to death.

This is a thread that has been developing over the last several years. The quantum leaps from one one to another via a significant change in the basic pen itself, eg, Parker '51', Snorkel, VP, etc, the only other way the manufacturers could go was the the manipulation of the 'packaging'. I understand this has to do with marketing and sales however personally this is not my style. Just writing with a fountain pen in public draws more than enough attention in itself. I don't need any more help via a glitzy pen. These 'fancy' looking pens are what under other circumstances would be called 'arm candy' Kapisch?

If others like them and can give the good homes and enjoy writing with them, go for for it. I'm not going to report you to the FP good taste police

I think it is wonderful to use the maximum artistic inspiration and precious materials to make superb, stunning pens. They obviously aren't meant as daily writers, but as aspirational incarnations or as commemorative expressions. Nothing should hold us back on this. However, to each his own.

It would help if you posted some pictures as an example of what is ugly and what is not since things like "highly decorated" are very vague and subjective. To some having a gold cap would meet the definition of "highly decorated", to others it would be pens that look like a locomotive and some would define the colourful painted Japanese pens as such. None of that says something about writing experience. There are lots of such big and highly decorated pens that are really good writers. The main reason why you'd want to try writing with any pen before you buy it.

Hmm, when I think of highly decorated I think of those amazingly blinged out Chinese dragon(? snake?) pens. Those are not to my taste, but I'm glad they exist as the pictures offered me some amusement. :P I tend to prefer non-black pens so perhaps some of the pens I like, others would consider highly decorated.

I have no fondness for oversize pens either. Aesthetically, they do not appeal to me, but as I've never so much as held one I might change my mind about them. I dislike heavy pens though, especially if they're unbalanced, as I don't fibd them comfortable.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

I too would have appreciated pictures. I don't know that I necessarily agree or disagree with you. I just enjoy living vicariously through those who have the good fortune of attending pen shows.

Many pens are not just for utilitarian purposes but also expressions of art. Why is art important? Art stimulates our minds and gives us the opportunity to explore and present our creative side. Art entertains, informs, educates and enlightens us. It gives us an interpretation of things we see around us. Many say that without art, our lives would simply become plain and boring.

I didn't include pictures because I didn't want to single items out to offend their creators.

After a very short time, adding bling to a FP is a waste of time, effort and resources, IMO. Nearly all of the expensive, overly produced "art" pens look like this to me:

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/lepine_images/GRAPHY~1.jpg

I have yet to see anything that surpasses this, whatever more effort, materials and complications are employed:

http://ulugtekin.com/pen/Ulugtekin%20Parker/Rare/Parker_51_Flighter_Aeromatic_Fountain_Pen/Parker_51_Flighter_Aeromatic_Fountain_Pen_1.jpg

Of course, tastes differ, YMMV.

Nihonto Chicken

Many pens are not just for utilitarian purposes but also expressions of art. Why is art important? Art stimulates our minds and gives us the opportunity to explore and present our creative side. Art entertains, informs, educates and enlightens us. It gives us an interpretation of things we see around us. Many say that without art, our lives would simply become plain and boring.

I greatly value art & try to create my own versions of same by including it in my environment. I had a friend who inferred my house was much like another friend had commented after a visit to a mutual acquaintance's house: "After being in HER house I am afraid of what the inside of her head must look like!"

THAT to me is characteristic of the emotions people experience after exposure to art: sometimes it is just plain "FEAR" because some people choose the "plain & boring" perhaps because it makes them feel safe & unthreatened. I HATE snakes so from all pen makers who utilise them I RUN FAST! Doesn't matter if it is Montblanc, Parker, David Oscarson or Montegrappa I CANNOT imagine picking one up anymore than I would if it was alive. So I am likewise filtering my emotions from images.

BUT the good thing is we are all free to choose whether we desire challenge, chaos or serenity in our house environment from what graces our walls or hands.

How about the Chaos pen for starters? :)

A fun review of it on Amazon :

By Billy Downing - December 22, 2014

Boy, the good times I have had with the Montegrappa Chaos Limited Edition 18K Gold Fountain Pen are almost too many to even recall. At first glance I was very weary of committing to this beautiful Pen, then however I noticed that it came with FREE SHIPPING. And, needless to say that was a bargain not worth passing up.

Once I was able to secure a car loan from the bank (I told them it was a car, because I knew it would glide through pages like a BMW) I immediately placed my order, and began to wait patiently near my mail box. As the bills began to pile up, I thought to myself, "Oh man, when this bad boy shows up who knows what sort of magic will ensue. Bills? Once they see me pull out this magnificent pen they'll know I'm good for the money - eventually" Nevertheless, after tirelessly waiting around (Did I mention the FREE SHIPPING?) the day finally came.

I could instantly tell the mail man could sense my excitement as I peered into his oversized mail truck, so he generously allowed me to wade through all of the packages (After some calm, passive-aggressive shoving) There it was. The second I took hold of this pen, lemme tell you, it also took ahold of me. My outfit instantly changed to something much baggier and slightly full of holes (to allow it to breath, of course), my face sprouted a full beard, and my 1997 toyota camry disappeared from my old parking space to be replaced by none other than a "Letter of Delinquent Payments." Jokes on them, because I could just as easily use my brand new Montegrappa Chaos Limited Edition 18K Gold Fountain Pen to get around town.

The next day was the first day I was able to use this gorgeous creature. Upon arriving to work, I was immediately bombarded with questions. Such as, "where have you been?" or, "How did you loose your house?" To which I responded, not with words, but by simply holding up my Montegrappa Chaos Limited Edition 18K Gold Fountain Pen. The intervention of sorts quickly changed tone to, "Oh my god, where did you get that?" and, "Please, sign these papers of termination" Suckers. I knew they'd want to see her in action.

In the end I have to rate this Pen only 4 out of stars because, despite the fact that I now survive solely by drinking ink, it was only 18k gold and I am used to 24k. Great purchase though!

20 of 22 people found this review helpful

LOL!!!

Trying to understand the taste of other people uses energy which could be used for much more profitable activities.

+1

Get what you want. No need to go beyond that.

Some like the Pelikan Toledo pens, technically would fit the "highly decorated" description, as would the Maki-e pens. But because of the way they are made, it doesn't interfere with the function of the pen. On the other hand a so called "skeleton" pen or the Chaos or the Chinese dragon pens affect the way the pen is held. To say nothing of writing comfort.

I haven't tried, nor do I own any of the above, but that is my perception of how these pens are made. As a piece of art? It may not be my taste, but I am sure it is someones. But as a writing tool, they leave something to be desired.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain