Who Likes Less Than Full Size/oversize Pens?

Garageboy

Yeah, OS and standard size vintage pens always command the biggest prices, but who actually likes the smaller pens?

As much as I want a standard size Sheaffer Balance, i love my Craftsmen (full length, slender)

Anyone else?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Garageboy

• pankaj

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say I prefer oversize but I like my Diplomat Excellence that would be considered a full size pen as it has an no6 nib and is very thick.

What would your definition of a full sized / over sized pen be?

Edited by The Blue Knight

I have a tiny Hero 9296. It's a nice looking simple but elegant pen. But for the life of me I can never get a proper grip on the section, it's way too small for my hands. It made me realize that if I buy a pen, I MUST be able to use it as a pen, I dont care how it looks. So definitely a no to small pens for me.

I use a Parker Classic/180 and it is just a little larger in diameter than a standard wood pencil.

And if the Cross Classic Century had a converter I would be using it also.

I prefer the Esterbrook LJ to the larger J.

So not everyone like a FAT pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Is there a definition for 'standard" regarding length and girth? Without knowing that I cannot tell where my pens fit in the spectrum.

I tend to like pens on the small to medium size. I love the MB 144 and the Pelikan M200. My largest pen is the 146 and that would be my upper limit. I've tried the 149 and larger Pelikans but they feel too big. Granted, I only wrote with them for a few minutes, so take my opinion with several grains of salt.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Is there a definition for 'standard" regarding length and girth? Without knowing that I cannot tell where my pens fit in the spectrum.

"Standard" seems to depend on the era/time period and company. And even within the company you could have different sizes. Most of my pens are what I would call late vintage/early modern. But the older pens were smaller and lighter than many of todays pens.

Note in my measurement, the place on the pen that you take the measurements vs where you put your hand makes a big difference. Also some pens taper (Parker 45, Lamy 2000), so where you take the measurements becomes more important.

Parker 51 (vintage 40s to 60s), section is about 10.6mm, body about 11.2mm. And weigh about 18g with the cap.

Parker 45 (vintage 60s to 90s), measures; section 10.6mm, body 11.6mm, weight 13-17g.

'Slimline' Parker 180 Flighter (vintage 70s to 80s) measures; section, 8.4mm body 9.5mm, weight about 18g

"Original" Cross Century (vintage 70s to 80s) measures, section 8.8mm, body 9.8mm.

Sheaffer Snorkel (vintage 40s to 60s) measures; section 9.6mm, body 10.9, weight 18g. This is just the model that I have as the mechanism was put into several pens.

Sheaffer Prelude (don't know the vintage) measures, section 10.9mm, body 14.6mm, weight 28g.

Lamy 2000 measures; section 10.5mm, body 13.3mm, weight 25g. Fatter and heavier than my Parkers.

Pelikan M200 measures: section 11.2mm, body 11.7mm. This pen is about my limit for comfortable lengthly writing. I actually prefer the slightly smaller M150.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have tiny hands so old ringtops work for me. If you can deal with the possibility of sudden, catastrophic loss, they're great, and you can get your hands on an old Waterman for less than a hundred bucks.

What I meant was pens with different size options-

I.e. Sheaffer- you can have a balance from the Miss Universe (short, slim) size to the Premier (O/S)

Sort of a mixed bag. I love the Monteverde Catalina, which is short, but fat. I also prefer the size of demi 51s to full size, so it was great when I was able to complete my three pen pouch with a third demi, pushing the fulls to their own pouch. And, although I've never tried any other MB, it was a pleasant surprise when my 144 arrived to find that its dimensions are very close to those of the demi 51. Then there are cool pocket pens like the Passaportto...

What I meant was pens with different size options-

I.e. Sheaffer- you can have a balance from the Miss Universe (short, slim) size to the Premier (O/S)

That depends on the manufacturer. For example I find the modern Montblanc 144 totally useless while the 50's versions fantastic.

Hmm, I don't know. I prefer the pen to be long enough for the back end to extend about an inch beyond the web of my thumb. Whether that is with a cap posted or not doesn't make much difference to me. As for the girth,well I don't have anything bigger than an Indian ebonite pen, but I have several quite thin pens because - I suppose - most of my very small collection is vintage. In other words, there isn't a specific size that suits me but rather a range. Perhaps that is true for most of us?

I find that I can write with all of the pens I have tried without any serious discomfort over time. However, I do think that as long as the pen is in the acceptable size range it is the weight that causes me the biggest problems.

I prefer Standard sized Esterbrook/400 and Medium-large P-51/600 size pens. I grew up with them. Posted many are well balanced.

I find Large pens and I have 7-8 to be some what clunky. Un-posted for my style of holding a pen, the 'fore finger up' to be too small. :yikes: Posted to be too top heavy. It takes me a few minutes to get use to using my Large pens....and I notice they are Large.

Many others don't have that problem....some grew up thinking Large pens as standard...they ain't. They are Large.

Oversize that I've tried in the B&M...1000/149 to be real awkward and too thick....over sized.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have some slimmer pens, and a soft spot for my first "good" pen, a Parker Vector. But for long writing sessions I need something a bit larger: Parker 51s and Vac Majors, Pelikan M200/M400, Noodler's Konrads.

I have smallish hands, and those are all a perfect size and weight for me. I tried someone's M800 once, and it was just a little too big a pen for me.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I like pens of all different sizes. I think, most of all, that one needs to get used to the size, balance, and weight of a certain pen. It's not so much that one has to "break in" the pen, as that one needs to get used to a certain pen and its feel.

My problem is that I like to switch pens and when I go from one pen to another, my penmanship changes (and perhaps suffers) until I get used to the pen. But I like variety and so I just take that into account. Does that happen to anybody else?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I like pens of all different sizes. I think, most of all, that one needs to get used to the size, balance, and weight of a certain pen. It's not so much that one has to "break in" the pen, as that one needs to get used to a certain pen and its feel.

My problem is that I like to switch pens and when I go from one pen to another, my penmanship changes (and perhaps suffers) until I get used to the pen. But I like variety and so I just take that into account. Does that happen to anybody else?

Erick

Absolutely. Right now I have a Delta Dolcevita Oversize and an Aurora 98 Archivi Storici in rotation. I seldom eat the same food at breakfast, lunch and dinner too.

I generally prefer larger pens, both in length and diameter. However, I prefer them on the slightly lighter side. I don't like a heavy pen.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!