Most Iconic Fountain Pens?

jakob

I'm working on some designs for fountain pen shirts and I need a little help from the community on the research front. I was wondering which fountain pens would be considered the most iconic or the most representative of the companies that manufacture them (vintage or modern). The Lamy 2000 has to be one of them, right? Which others? Are they recognizable by their shape alone? I don't own any Mont Blancs, nor know a lot about them, but they seem to have pretty unique design and a unified design language between them.

I'd like to ask the same question again, but about nibs. The Pilot Falcon has a very recognizable nib. Sailor nibs have a pretty unique geometry. Are there other recognizable nibs? Pelikan? Platinum? Lamy Safari?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• ink-syringe

• kazoolaw

• frogbaby

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Parker 51. There is no getting away from the fact that it is the Iconic fountain pen.

Edited by The Blue Knight

The Parker 51. There is no getting away from the fact that it is the Iconic fountain pen.

That's perfect! That is another very iconic pen.

Just to clarify for everyone, I'm not looking for just the most iconic pen (though the Parker 51 is arguably that), but rather iconic pens. So feel free to add more :)

Pelikan m series. The shape is distinctive with only the size varying among models. Also the shape of the nibs is very similar among then as well. On nibs I'd think the Shaeffer inlaid nib would be indicative of that company. Cross century is iconic for that company. What companies are you look for? If you list them we might be able to list the pen. Like a 3776 for platinum for example. Sailor is obviously the 1911.

Edited by prighello

How many choices do you want to narrow it down to?

The Parker Duofold is a classic design that would translate well to silkscreening.

Another distinctive Sheaffer nib is the "Triumph," particularly the two-tone.

The word "iconic" is so overused it's nearly devoid of meaning for me. I think you're using it correctly!

Edited by Manalto

James

Actually for Lamy, as much as people talk about the 2000, I think their pen is the Safari.

The Safari is used by many more people, but the 2000 would be their flagship pen.

So this leads into what is YOUR definition of "iconic pen."

And is there a time period involved. Is it since 1900 or when. I am not familiar with most of the older pens, so my call could/would not include some GREAT pens of the past.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I think the Parker Sonnet is transitioning into an Icon. Parker has had a checkard history especially in the last 2 decades with numerous models most of which having not been hugely sucessful however the Sonnet is the excpetion conservative design excellent performance the epitome of mid range fountain pens.

Edited by The Blue Knight

i have never owned one but certainly the montlanc 149 would be an iconic pen

i second the sheaffer triumph nib which i really love

The Aurora 88 is another one. Sheaffer PFM. For innovative design, the Pilot Vanishing Point and the M90 (all steel construction).

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Pilot Vanishing Point.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Actually for Lamy, as much as people talk about the 2000, I think their pen is the Safari.

The Safari is used by many more people, but the 2000 would be their flagship pen.

So this leads into what is YOUR definition of "iconic pen."

And is there a time period involved. Is it since 1900 or when. I am not familiar with most of the older pens, so my call could/would not include some GREAT pens of the past.

I agree, regarding the Safari, also adding the practically identical Al-Star. That shape and the paperclip pen clip are recognized by anyone who knows anything about fountain pens.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

If I interpret your question in my own way, without naming explicitly, without showing a photograph of the full pen, just to (instantly) recognise a brand by a sketch of the nib -- Parker 51, Lamy Safari/al-stars , some sailors, Montblancs fit the bill... For me hero pens too..

Sheaffer Balance-especially the oversize

Esterbrook

Wahl/Eversharp Skyline

Montblanc 149

Edited by gary

Sheaffer Balance-especially the oversize

Esterbrook

Wahl/Eversharp Skyline

Montblanc 149

May I add the Doric?

Montblanc 146/149

Most people who aren't pen nuts would likely know about their flagship pens and before I got into this whole pen business the 146-149 was to me the iconic fountain pen.

For starters by manufacturer:

Waterman - Patrician

Parker - Duofold

Sheaffer - Balance

Wahl Eversharp - Gold Seal Personal Point

MB - Meisterstuck

Pelikan - 100

Edited by Charles Rice

Dictionary

iconic
adjective icon·ic \ī-ˈkä-nik\
Definition of ICONIC
: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an icon
a : widely recognized and well-established <an iconic brand name>

b : widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence <an iconic writer><a region's iconic wines>

(From Merriam-Webster online.)
As far as 2b goes, I think you have have to include the Japanese Pocket pens. The Pilot M90 is my favorite of those. Whenever I go to a pen show, I have at least two in my pocket. Everyone always likes them.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Parker: Duofold, P51.

Aurora: 88.

Montblanc: 149/146.

Lamy: 2000.

Pelikan: M series.

Onoto: Magna...the originals, though absurdly expensive today.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Duofold, Vacumatic, P51

Lamy 2k

MB 146/9

PFM or really just that inlaid nib in general. You see it and just think Sheaffer.

The various Touchdown Filler and Snorkel conical nib Sheaffers (which collectively sold in massive numbers mid-century).

Aurora 88

Lamy Safari/All Star/Vista

Pilot Varsity ?

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Some distinctive pens others haven't mentioned:

Eversharp Skyline

Esterbrook J

Pilot Custom 74 demonstrator

TWSBI 530

Omas Homo Sapiens

Nakaya Piccolo

Edited by debraji