Omas 90Th Anniversary Set Unboxing

whichwatch

One of my earliest experiences with Omas was when I attended my very first pen show in Columbus a number of years back. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I saw what I considered to be the most beautiful pens I had ever encountered. This was Omas’ “Celluloid Collection” which consisted of seven different color celluloids each with a different size nib, ranging from Extra Fine up to Double Broad. There were only 50 of these numbered sets issued. This started a long infatuation with Omas for me. I bought some of their resin pens, then finally found and bought a never inked Celluloid Collection. I drooled over my prized set but never could bring myself to ink them and over time actually assembled another set from non-numbered pens I bought individually and with which I do write. So now I have both - one for display and one for writing!

http://www.fototime.com/%7B3846E0B3-4B07-4714-8990-2ACB307FAF7C%7D/origpict/pens.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/%7BBAE4E501-2DC3-49A4-B095-73775FDF5FA1%7D/origpict/nibs.jpg

A couple of months ago Omas announced they would soon issue the Cavalier Armando Simoni set in honor of their 90th Anniversary. This was to contain three pens and would be limited to 90 sets – half with gold trim and half with “hi tech” trim. No hesitation this time. I immediately contacted my favorite pusher, placed my order for a set with gold trim, and waited not so patiently. Finally the day came.

What? Pictures or it didn’t happen? OK, pictures it is…….

Sniff. Sniff. Oooh, I love the smell of a UPS truck in the morning!

http://www.fototime.com/%7BC5D110E5-3719-4989-95CE-D9F840C5A57E%7D/origpict/DSCN8107.JPG

Yup, well protected with a nice hand written thank you note from the pusher man

http://www.fototime.com/%7B7A2603A5-AD65-4029-8F7D-DDC4E71E4A9E%7D/origpict/DSCN8109.JPG

Black outer cardboard. Yeah, yeah, just get it open already and be careful not to tear the cardboard flap or drool on it.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B72B612F5-39FC-4340-AD5B-F5365FC2847A%7D/origpict/DSCN8110.JPG

Nice black presentation box with a tan velour material on the cover saying….. aww, you can read, right?

http://www.fototime.com/%7B10FFB36A-3716-41A9-B27B-65391158F330%7D/origpict/DSCN8111.JPG

Nice bilingual booklet containing founder and company history, “The Myth of the Celluloid”, a page with technical data on the pens, and warranty pages.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BC919DD70-ABCE-465B-89D7-FA24F0CA090B%7D/origpict/DSCN8112.JPG

We’re getting closer.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B9CF55299-5C2C-4232-9907-5D6D4A7EAB8B%7D/origpict/DSCN8113.JPG

Oooooweee! One in Scarlet, one in Saft Green, and one in “Radica” which the booklet says are “the most Omas representative”. The Scarlet and Saft Green were used in the original Celluloid Collection pictured at the start of my post. The “Radica” was not in that collection but appeared later in what I have generally heard called the Omas “Mueller”.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BCDD58088-1AF7-469B-867C-B1F286099FDF%7D/origpict/DSCN8114.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B195973A3-DA09-415C-A117-9A77F3E7562C%7D/origpict/DSCN8115.JPG

According to the booklet “the nine rings pinched by hands celebrate the nine decades of history”

http://www.fototime.com/%7BD9183C1C-8222-4808-BB6D-F739C85FA6ED%7D/origpict/DSCN8116.JPG

Yup. That’s what it says.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B33BA33EE-4DF2-48C0-95DF-C9D8C57F32D5%7D/origpict/DSCN8117.JPG

90 sets, Half (even numbers) with gold trim and half (odd numbers) with high tech trim. Looks like mine is set 02/90.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B1D0C50B9-F30A-49C7-9AC8-EC185C317E2C%7D/origpict/DSCN8118.JPG

Special nib engravings note the 90th Anniversary

http://www.fototime.com/%7BFE03BF06-A627-4FC3-BA1E-71F14DEA9CCC%7D/origpict/DSCN8119.JPG

Here is where it gets a little confusing, at least to me. Initial publicity said the three nibs would be Extra Fine, Medium Extra Flexible, and Broad. Bryant thought he had arranged a different combination on the sets he had ordered, but apparently rather late in the game found out the nibs would be Fine, Fine Extra Flexible, and Medium. I have seen a number of dealer posts listing the initially announced nib configuration. I suspect they don't actually have any sets yet. I have seen an Ebay auction with pictures of an actual set listing the nibs to be the same as I received. And I have seen a very well known US dealer website saying he had sets in stock, but listing the nibs to be what were originally announced.I suspect that Omas originally announced one configuration, for some reason changed it late in the game, and either posts/ads were prepared by dealers before sets actually arrived, or some dealers never checked (and apparently either Omas or distributor Kenro never told them).

Anyway, here they are. Two are 18k gold and are two tone nibs, the Extra Flexible is one tone and is 14k gold.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BAD928A45-761D-4E89-B744-214AD27AB38B%7D/origpict/DSCN8120.JPG

For any who might be wondering, these pens are the size of the Old Style and Vintage Omas Paragons and have similar narrow roller clips rather than being the larger size with larger clips of the current Omas series.

I hope you enjoyed my little photo essay. Thanks for reading and looking!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• whichwatch

• dms525

• Ghost Plane

Very nice! Congratulations on the arrival of a gorgeous set.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Gorgeous! If I'd been able to get stub, italic, and broad, I might've had to sell a lot of things and get a set. Saved by the needle Nibbers!

Gorgeous! If I'd been able to get stub, italic, and broad, I might've had to sell a lot of things and get a set. Saved by the needle Nibbers!

Agreed :)

Thank you for the enjoyable post, the wit, and sharing the journey.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Gorgeous pens! Congratulations.

As a user, I'm with GP , sadly. I sure wish there were either an italic or a B or BB nib option that could be italicized on at least one of the set.

Anyway, I do have another pen around here somewhere I can use.

David

Thanks for the nice comments and the responses.

Actually, I too wish there were broader nibs available. The fact is, I bought the set in spite of the nibs, not because of the nibs.

Why would I do such a thing? I think the pieces are beautiful, I am a collector by nature and the set fits the self defined parameters of my collection, I am a sucker for multi-piece sets, etc etc. I have 50 or 60 pens in a wide range of nibs. I have written with almost all except the Celluloid Collection and this set (so far). So I have lots and lots of pens that I use regularly. I decided to own these for their beauty, their place in my collection, and what they mean to me. I may write with them from time to time, or I may choose to write with others depending on my mood, the content and context of what and where I am writing. That may make sense to others, or it may not. But it works for me.

For anyone who likes these pens but wants broader nibs, there are available single pieces of the earlier editions of Saft Green and Scarlet or the Mueller ("Radica"). The cap and barrel bands are different (original "Greek Key" motif instead of the 9 rings as on these). I can take pictures showing the difference if anyone wishes.

Edited by whichwatch

"Why would I do such a thing?" HA ha ha ha ha as if the rest of us nut jobs did not already have 7 reasons for you, none of which you mentioned. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Amazing!!!

Thanks for sharing!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous pens! Congratulations.

As a user, I'm with GP , sadly. I sure wish there were either an italic or a B or BB nib option that could be italicized on at least one of the set.

Anyway, I do have another pen around here somewhere I can use.

David

Those are some beautiful pens. Nibs.com says they will swap nibs in any sets purchased from them. I'm still thinking about it.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Those are some beautiful pens. Nibs.com says they will swap nibs in any sets purchased from them. I'm still thinking about it.

What the nibs.com text actually says is "Upon request, nibs can be swapped among pens in the same set at no additional charge." (emphasis added) This doesn't include the types of nibs I prefer or even those that can be customized to my preference, without re-tipping.

David

What the nibs.com text actually says is "Upon request, nibs can be swapped among pens in the same set at no additional charge." (emphasis added) This doesn't include the types of nibs I prefer or even those that can be customized to my preference, without re-tipping.

David

Thanks for the partial clarification. If you read a little further, it also actually says:

For those wishing to preserve the special imprint nibs in their original mint state, we can offer additional standard OMAS Paragon 18k solid gold nibs in your choice of Extra Fine, Fine, Medium, Broad, Extra Broad, or stock Stub, or 14k solid gold nibs in Extra Fine Extra Flessible, Fine Extra Flessible, or Medium Extra Flessible. Retail $295, our price $236 per additional nib.

I hope this helps.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

Thanks for the partial clarification. If you read a little further, it also actually says:

For those wishing to preserve the special imprint nibs in their original mint state, we can offer additional standard OMAS Paragon 18k solid gold nibs in your choice of Extra Fine, Fine, Medium, Broad, Extra Broad, or stock Stub, or 14k solid gold nibs in Extra Fine Extra Flessible, Fine Extra Flessible, or Medium Extra Flessible. Retail $295, our price $236 per additional nib.

I hope this helps.

Aha! Thanks.

David

Not gonna pay a premium for wanting a broader nib.

I understand your predicament. I have purchased extra nibs in the past, but I always ended up purchasing a extra pen to go with them. An extra nib is useless without a pen.

I think that I will just use the set as is. I like all sorts of nibs, from XXF to O3B and then some.

Not gonna pay a premium for wanting a broader nib.

+1

And I think it is an insulting attitude for the manufacturer to presume that "one size suits all" when they indeed make the broader nibs.

Special edition is usually associated with higher cost & more desirable features & precluding the nib choice doesn't feel "special" to me. I will use my Omas (Extra) Paragon in Saft green with MY nib choice & feel just as "special" whether it has gold rings around it's body or a different design for it's cap ring.