How Can Anyone Like The Pilot Metropolitan!

RyanM

This pen reminds me a bit of that Chinese "snake" pen that isellpens was carrying. I actually know someone who bought one. The thing is huge (I'm betting easily a full inch in diameter), and heavy as all get out. I asked him what on *earth* possessed him to buy the monstrosity, and he said "Umm, seemed like a good idea at the time...."

[Man, I miss the old "blink" .gif from before we migrated over to the new server....]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I agree. Can't see why anyone would ever want something like that.

"...seemed like a good idea at the time..." :lticaptd:

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Sailor Kenshin

• Bookman

• jordanjay29

I have one. It doesn't see much use today, but on occasion, it comes out of the drawer and is fondled. It is quite a nice writer, actually. And it's serious eye candy.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Ryan....When and where did you purchase said pen?

How long did you have the pen..before in your words

Honestly. This pen is hopeless....and on and on...annoyed

with this pen..I can't stand it.....You get the drift.....

now ..provide us with a photograph and or scan of

the pen...............................Get the drift...................

By the way, how is school coming along..and when

are you turning 19 this year..perhaps someone

will send you a pen for your birthday................................

Fred

I gotta agree with the imbalance between positive and negative reports. I get that this whole forum is trying to maintain a level of decorum well above the norm on the interwebs, and rightfully so. But sometimes it seems like the fanboys and fangirls carry too much clout compared to the naysayers. It doesn't always tie directly to the level of diplomacy exhibited by such negative commenters. Personally, commentary of either a positive or negative sort is useful to me when it indicates the what", "why", and "why not". That can give comments a clearer context.

Per the Metropolitan itself: I have all 5 of the animal series (completionist OCD) with fine nibs. I bought the first one because I am still trying to wrap my head (and therefore my fingers) around the love of fine so many folks espouse. In other words, I have been seeking a non-scratchy tool that isn't as wide as the Grand Canyon - I have a gazillion mediums and broads of dozens of brands (translation = way too many pens in my stash, but that's another story). Add to the mix the fact that the Met animals appealed to my aesthetic. I took the plunge and bought the purple because to me, it was just so "purty" (I am a Texan, ya know). Doggone it, the nib wouldn't line up no matter how much cajoling I attempted. I cannibalized a medium nib out of my plumix and it was "all better now". But that still didn't satisfy the original quest for a satisfactory fine nib. So I took a leap of faith and joined a certain online pen junkie's consortium who shall remain nameless but makes prominent use of the consonants "M" an "D" :) This time, the two fine nibs were just hunky dorey. They move across the paper without reminding me of nails on a chalkboard, a sensation experienced all too often. Now being three fifths of the way through the animal series and satisfied with the fine nibs, I jumped on the opportunity recently offered by the aforementioned consortium :) Even worse, I introduced one of my best friends to my "crack supplier". My buddy only uses fines and was very impressed with those I already owned. He is now no longer an "M D virgin" since his packet arrived yesterday. Mine was delivered on Wednesday. Those two pens are equal in performance to the other pair. Now I just need to get the first nib fixed since replacement isn't an available option sans the rest of the pen . . .

Edited by bmillicent

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

I gotta agree with the imbalance between positive and negative reports. I get that this whole forum is trying to maintain a level of decorum well above the norm on the interwebs, and rightfully so. But sometimes it seems like the fanboys and fangirls carry too much clout compared to the naysayers. It doesn't always tie directly to the level of diplomacy exhibited by such negative commenters.

It is what it is. I gave up expecting balance and objectivity here, but there is still information to be gleaned.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I gotta agree with the imbalance between positive and negative reports. I get that this whole forum is trying to maintain a level of decorum well above the norm on the interwebs, and rightfully so. But sometimes it seems like the fanboys and fangirls carry too much clout compared to the naysayers. It doesn't always tie directly to the level of diplomacy exhibited by such negative commenters. Personally, commentary of either a positive or negative sort is useful to me when it indicates the what", "why", and "why not". That can give comments a clearer context.

It is what it is. I gave up expecting balance and objectivity here, but there is still information to be gleaned.

When someone says, in effect, I realize others might disagree but I didn't like ______, almost universally I've found the reactions at FPN to be measured and well argued. The OP here seemed to begin his post in this fashion but then went beyond it, indirectly attacking the judgments of people who bought Pilot Metropolitans, used them, and liked them anyway. ("How can anyone like the Pilot Metropolitan?")

Many, many pens, inks, and paper products have attracted loyal followings, usually for good reasons based on each fan's individual experiences. It's no mystery: the Pilot Metropolitan has attracted a loyal following. Clearly, not everyone is a fan. The Metropolitan's so-called "step" is a deal-breaker for some. The Lamy Safari's training-wheels grip is a deal-breaker for some, including me. To each, his or her own. But it might very well be that in many cases there are far more satisfied customers than unsatisfied. And what might appear to be imbalance could simply be a majority of satisfied customers speaking up all at once.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Many, many pens, inks, and paper products have attracted loyal followings, usually for good reasons based on each fan's individual experiences. To each, his or her own. But it might very well be that in many cases there are far more satisfied customers than unsatisfied. And what might appear to be imbalance could simply be a majority of satisfied customers speaking up all at once.

There is no doubt that many writing products are well-done enough that the vast majority of commentary is positive. That isn't really the point, though. What has come to be common has been a rather stern approach to quashing any negative commentary on certain products or in certain areas, even when said commentary has been as well-reasoned and civil as other discourses. And you comments can vanish, and you can be banned. It is the biggest drawback to this community, and I don't think anything will ever change in this regard. I wish it weren't so, but - as I said - it is what it is. There are certainly other positive aspects of FPN, enough for now.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have a series of different pens and the Metro is a fantastic pen for its price. I have both the 78G, the Metro, and the Prera. The Prera is better. I love my Metros and most do well, though for some inks the fine points do not give the best of the inks. In the medium nib, the Metro becomes a full force pen for under $25. I will say that my Skilcraft I picked up recently has given my Metro a run, and if one needs a cheap "wet" pen, the Jinhao 250s are pretty good, and the medium nib has a fine nib tendency.

Although I love Pilot pens, I can see how some people might be a little disappointed in it.

I asked him what on *earth* possessed him to buy the monstrosity, and he said "Umm, seemed like a good idea at the time...."

Let she/he cast the first stone who never bought a pen while drunk :rolleyes:

In unrelated news, I'm expecting a Franklin-Christoph 20 any day now.

-k

Mmmmayyyybeeeeee? 78G is still a great little pen for the money, though. It posts fine. Some of them write a little dry, but not all.

Same section, same feed, same nib (except for the colour of the finish), same cartridge, same converter as a Metropolitan/MR, any difference observed is due to manufacturing variability and/or adjustment.

(and the Metro does have a plastic section ,,, )

Edited by GeneralSynopsis

--“Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
Giordano Bruno

A side note: Has anyone else noticed how it always the unrealistically negative claims about pens and inks which get questioned, while unrealistically positive claims are not only tolerated, they almost seem to be encouraged on FPN? Just my observations....

Another aspect of human nature I see regularly displayed is when someone expresses frustration with a pen's problems, there always seems to be someone else who responds with a rub-your-nose-in-it comment like, "Well, mine works perfectly." A trifecta of compassion, courtesy and counsel.

James

There is no doubt that many writing products are well-done enough that the vast majority of commentary is positive. That isn't really the point, though. What has come to be common has been a rather stern approach to quashing any negative commentary on certain products or in certain areas, even when said commentary has been as well-reasoned and civil as other discourses. And you comments can vanish, and you can be banned. It is the biggest drawback to this community, and I don't think anything will ever change in this regard. I wish it weren't so, but - as I said - it is what it is. There are certainly other positive aspects of FPN, enough for now.

If your point had nothing to do with Pilot Metropolitans or the posts in this thread, then I'm not surprised I missed it.

If your point had nothing to do with Pilot Metropolitans or the posts in this thread, then I'm not surprised I missed it.

Well, it did, but whatever. The issue is long-standing, and has been talked to death.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Well, it did, but whatever. The issue is long-standing, and has been talked to death.

Perhaps it's been talked to death. But in the post to which I responded you said, "It is what it is. I gave up expecting balance and objectivity here, but there is still information to be gleaned." If that post referred to the posts in this thread, then I didn't miss your point the first time around: I simply disagreed with your take on the replies to the OP. Apart from questioning whether he or she has accurately ID'd the pen, I didn't and don't see anything more going on in this thread than a disparate collection of satisfied customers answering the OP's call to explain themselves.

If that post referred to the posts in this thread, then I didn't miss your point the first time around.

Good. I was responding to bmillicent, in a direct quote, as well as encompassing a larger issue that those of us who have been here for a while have considered. YMMV.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Good. I was responding to bmillicent, in a direct quote, as well as encompassing a larger issue that those of us who have been here for a while have considered. YMMV.

Perhaps my mileage doesn't vary that much. As a percentage of total posts here, I probably hold the record for causing entire threads to be shut down. And perhaps I read too much tacit agreement with bmillicent in your it-is-what-it-is response. It just seemed that either the thread had jumped the tracks and other posters in other threads were now the subject, or else the very people the OP had asked to show up and say what's so good about the Pilot Metropolitan were being chided for showing up and doing what was asked. I apologize if I misunderstood.

The only issue I have with the pen was the step from the barrel to nib section (as many have mentioned) otherwise it is a sleek pen. That being said, Kakunos are cheap and awesome.