Hobonichi Fans, What Do You Use It For?

Baalberithim

I bought one of the 2015 planners and have yet to really find my use for it. I find myself doing most of my planning throughout the day in Field Notes, and don't have as much going on in the longer scale to get real good use of it. I already keep a journal in a separate book, so I don't really need a page for that. If anyone has a suggested use or could give examples of other ways they use it, I'd really appreciate it.

I can see the Hobonichi is a quality product and want to give it a good try before I give up on it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baalberithim

• PaperDarts

• Cryptos

• Hallel

Well, I have a desk with a wonky leg so I use my Hobonichi to prop it up... just kidding!

Actually this is the first year I have had the Techo. I use it to chart daily tasks - using a the bullet journal method (kind of), and of course any known future engagements get added in as and when they are known. If there is space, the weekends are usually empty, I have started doodling. Sometimes drawings, sometimes random patterns, sometimes odd quotes or thoughts, and at other times experimenting with colour blending. It's up to the individual. I don't think that there is a 'proper' way to use it.

I use mine as a thought dump. Sometimes I use it to schedule tasks and write out lists, sometimes I just record the weather and the price of gas and what I had to eat that day. I also use it as a mini journal, I find the paper handles mush better than Field Notes (depending on the edition). And it helps having a year long planner instead of a pocket book that I fill up in a month and a half.

Some people use their Hobo's as art collages or to collect poems and quotes and such-like. I really enjoy mine and I wish you luck in finding a use for yours.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

I've been curious about the same thing, so will be watching this thread avidly. :D I've been tempted to get a Hobonichi to try out the Tomoe River paper, but missing the start date of the journal (even the April version) really bothers me. :\ I'd probably use it for quotes/poems but I already have a notebook designated as a commonplace book and I don't think I have time to keep more than one book going.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

When I had one I used it for bullet journalling, scheduling appointments and so on.

I enjoyed using it, but it was just to small. When they release an English A5 version I will be buying them again!

If I were going to switch from Field Notes for my daily planning, I'd probably either get a Midori Traveler passport or use one of my Luechtturm books. Aside from daily to do lists, the Field Notes is use for a daily inventory and any notes that come up throughout the day.

I work in seafood, so I wouldn't want to bring the Hobonichi on the floor with me since it'll stick way out of my pocket and get wet and/or covered in fish guts.

For the time being, I've made myself a little schedule for this year's Formula 1 races. I think I may need to really start planning a bit more ahead and in greater detail. I've tried a few times, and the planning ahead part is easy enough. The hard part is getting out of bed on time on my days off to do everything I penned in.

I use the Japanese A5 version, other than the information pages which aren't of much use the diary and planner bit is fine.

The numbers for the dates are there and on the planning bits run Monday to Sunday.

On the main diary bit, I just write the day at the top of the page, I tend to do two or three months ahead or if I write an item in, I put the day for that item

It works fine for me (the A6 I found too small)

I use mine mainly as a planner, but the paper is so delicious that I find myself adding other things - the daily weather, my to-do list, a record of work accomplished, meetings and notes, reminders to myself, and sometimes a bit of doodling. My handwriting is quite small, so there's room for all that on a page.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I use my Hobonichi as:

• an appointment calendar / planner
  • a visual diary with sketches, doodles, washi tape, stickers, and pasted-in images
  • notes on what I'm reading / writing / watching
  • a place to track health info, to-do's, wishlists (especially pen & ink), weather, vacation plans, all the nuts and bolts that don't really fit in a regular journal

I frequently use little animal & monster stickers and give them a cartoon speech balloon to comment on the events of my day. Sometimes they have a conversation. It's like having one's own Greek chorus.

all encompassing perfection. That is for documenting what is happening around be should I be called upon to test my recollection....

I bought the A6 techo in March. Went to a work conference and took all my notes on the Jan-Feb pages. Then mid-March I started a daily bullet journal. I ended up using it for work and keep it open on my desk. Like the small size. I carry a passport-size Midori for personal use. So far it's working for me... but having separate work and personal lists is a little trying.

I frequently use little animal & monster stickers and give them a cartoon speech balloon to comment on the events of my day. Sometimes they have a conversation. It's like having one's own Greek chorus.

I love this! Couldn't we all use a Greek chorus some days! :P

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I'm a big Hobo fan and actually have both Techo and Cousin sizes. I also don't let starting late in the year hold me back from getting a January or April start as I use the past pages for Kanji practice and sketches, while the day entries are generally sit down meetings when I can enjoy and take full advantage of the lay flat design, which really, really helps!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I use my Hobonichi as:

• an appointment calendar / planner

• a visual diary with sketches, doodles, washi tape, stickers, and pasted-in images

• notes on what I'm reading / writing / watching

• a place to track health info, to-do's, wishlists (especially pen & ink), weather, vacation plans, all the nuts and bolts that don't really fit in a regular journal

All the above EXCEPT for the stickers and speech bubbles.