Opinions Wanted: Pelikan M30 Vs Montblanc 224

Mhawke7894

Hi everyone. I recently started looking German-brand pens, and have become very smitten with designs they were coming out with in the 70s, in particular the Pelikan M30 and Montblanc 224, which seem to be very similar in design to my eye. I like their medium size, tapered end, semi-hooded (or whatever the best term is, this seems one of the most unique part of them) and their piston filling systems. Unfortunately, I am not very knowledgable about either companies' reputation or specific products from then, and I can only afford to get one right now. I would really appreciate any opinions on which of the two you would prefer or any other relevant info. Thank you all very much!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mhawke7894

• peroride

• pankaj

• TorPelikan

I like those models too.

My preference is M30.

Though, MB224 is a very good looking pen, it's a little fragile.

Especially, mat finished section and barrel sometimes develop crack.

My MB220 became unusable due to deep crack, finally broken into pieces.

Also their ink window is fragile.

I've seen many of them with cracks.

They are very thin and built-in wire spring is continuously giving stress to them.

Of course, M30 has its weak-point too.

The section is a little thin in the front opening.

But the crack is usually repairable with some kind of glue or nail-enamel.

Again, both Pel M30 and MB 224 are well made pens.

But if you intend to use them as your daily writer, I will recommend Pelikan M30.

regards,

I would go for the MB, tho' I don't rule out there are past instances of barrel or section cracks in certain cases. But Pelican is not free from fragility either. MB is a looker and a good writer too.

If the M30 is one of the earlier models without a step to the hood, cracking is less of a threat. I've got one (and an M20) and I love 'em. I haven't had an MB to compare with (because they partake of the MB mystique and the bidding always goes too high), but I was recently talking to a chap who had only recently gotten an MB after overcoming a prejudice he developed in the era of the pens you're looking at. The prejudice was this: Montblancs were never hesistant to start, because the cap was always full of ink. This is one man's opinion, of course, and second hand at that, but I can't say I'm regretting being "stuck" with the Pelikan.

On that hood question-- top safe, bottom you really need to watch for cracks starting at the corner of the hood:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Pelikan-0473.jpg

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Pelikan-0471.jpg

...and that's less helpful than it should be; you can make out some enclosing section plastic that runs forward under the point, and where that joins the up-sweep of the hood is a stress-point.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds like both of them have a reputation for cracking, but would either or both of them be ok as long as they were not treated too roughly? Also, as people seem a little reluctant to fully endorse either, what other pens would you recommend that are styled similarly (tapered medium size with pseudo-inlaid nibs)? Thanks again!

• 4 years later...

How prescient this thread

Oh noos!! :o

I just received my minty Pelikan M30 and it feels more delicate than my M series pens.

I concur with the previous great advice even though I intend to add to my trio EDC in my Nock case.

I enjoy the nice styling but am now concerned with future maintenance so I will baby it. I write with a lighter hand and surprised that the M30 does not have the wet gush normally found on M series feeds using Pelikan ink. It feels more like a Parker 51 dryness that I guess it was designed to compete with. Oh well, I still love that this old pen has new life. :)

fpn_1560406687__pelikan_m30.jpg

@Mhawke7894 if you're impartial to cheaper pens, I cannot recommend the Wing Sung 601 highly enough for bullet proof EDC or like others have mentioned an M series: 200-600

If the M30 is one of the earlier models without a step to the hood, cracking is less of a threat. I've got one (and an M20) and I love 'em. I haven't had an MB to compare with (because they partake of the MB mystique and the bidding always goes too high), but I was recently talking to a chap who had only recently gotten an MB after overcoming a prejudice he developed in the era of the pens you're looking at. The prejudice was this: Montblancs were never hesistant to start, because the cap was always full of ink. This is one man's opinion, of course, and second hand at that, but I can't say I'm regretting being "stuck" with the Pelikan.

On that hood question-- top safe, bottom you really need to watch for cracks starting at the corner of the hood:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Pelikan-0473.jpg

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Pelikan-0471.jpg

...and that's less helpful than it should be; you can make out some enclosing section plastic that runs forward under the point, and where that joins the up-sweep of the hood is a stress-point.

I think I can second this statement. But I'd like to add that most of the hooded or semi-hooded designs were prone to problems with cracking and leaking. I had very bad experience with Montblanc (other model though) and avoid that brand ever since. My M30 is like the one in the top picture and is a perfect and sturdy daily writer. Pelikan promoted this series of pens as made for the "new modern writing style" meaning that it must withstand brute force attacks by people used to ball points. Maybe people took it literally and destroyed many of them which now are sold with cracks. B) Also, mine writes as wet as any Pelikan but the nib is less soft/flexy than the earlier 100/140/400 models. This was a tribute to the "new modern writing style".

Edited by OMASsimo

Thank you @OMASsimo good point about the ballpoint pressure

Mine too is the top version in the image so it looks like we have the same M30 :P

I'm using Pelikan Royal Blue but will refill with wetter Waterman's to see if it flows easier

Some of Pilot's pocket fountain pens have hooded or semi hooded nibs. They are quite practical, but to my knowledge are all c/c pens. There's also the very affordable Camlin 47 (piston pen with an ink window) and Kanwrite Relic (internal piston pen with no ink window but available in transparent plastics), to name a couple (check FPR). There's a new Esterbrook too, but it's often considered overpriced.

Edited by SoulSamurai