Inky T O D - Every Day Carry (E D C) Inks

Ambrose Bierce

I am toying with the thought of making a ink an EDC, but I have no idea where to start (blue-blacks don't interest me). So Can anyone post their swatches of their EDC inks, or maybe lend suggestions?

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ambrose Bierce

• amberleadavis

• aardvarkbark

• VivienR

I tend to carry a color in every category (Green, Red, Blue, Black) and these are the ones I like the most so far. I also have at least one pen inked with a sample of ink that I haven't tried yet, just to make things fun. See every swatch in the ink swab database, at http://inkymadness.tk/

Green- Private Reserve Spearmint.

http://inkymadness.tk/Private%20Reserve/Spearmint.jpg

Red- Diamine Oxblood

http://inkymadness.tk/Diamine/Oxblood.jpg

Blue- Private Reserve Tropical Blue or Thistle #3

http://inkymadness.tk/Private%20Reserve/Tropical%20Blue.jpg

http://inkymadness.tk/Thistle/%233.jpg

Black- Scribes Black

http://inkymadness.tk/Scribes/Black%202.jpg

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

Not all blue blacks are alike and I use Dromgoole's Blue Steel because it puts up with a lot of abuse.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/2013-Ink_748b.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have Montblanc Lavender Purple, Pelikan 4001 Violet, and Pilot Iroshizuku Kujaku with me every day. Lavender Purple is for writing, and the other two are for drawing.

I always have a red or brown ink going. Usually either Diamine Oxblood, Stipula Sepia or MB Toffee Brown. My EDC blue was Sailor Sky High and now I am in the process of test driving some saturated blues (Diamine Bilberry, Sargasso Sea, Midnight, PR electric DC Blue, etc). For now, my EDC blue is Waterman Serenity Blue.

So I guess my EDC inks are blue and brown/red? I don't make a conscious effort to have a green ink on hand for example. Although I usually have another 8 pens loaded with the ink Du jour. Lol.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

black (Cross/Pelikan and Waterman)

blue (Cross/Pelikan, Waterman Florida/Serenity blue, PR DCSS blue)

green (Waterman, Diamine Sherwood green)

Like the PR Spearmint, I need to get a sample, to test it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Diamine Oxblood.

It's fairly much a job requirement that I have a red ink on me at all times to abuse the students with, and Oxblood is so versatile of a colour that it can also be used for reports and correspondence.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

I usually have one pen inked with either Noodler's Black or Montblanc Midnight Blue (the old formulation).

Love Diamine Asa Blue! Makes a great ED ink!

post-103805-0-52568300-1429104704.jpg

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I usually carry one pen with Diamine Chocolate Brown (nice, dark, well behaved brown) and one pen with Diamine Asa Blue. I'd post swatches, FP_Ink_Geek, but I still haven't figured out how to do that. Suspect maybe it can't be done in the mobile mode...either that or I'm more obtuse than I think.

I usually carry one pen with Diamine Chocolate Brown (nice, dark, well behaved brown) and one pen with Diamine Asa Blue. I'd post swatches, FP_Ink_Geek, but I still haven't figured out how to do that. Suspect maybe it can't be done in the mobile mode...either that or I'm more obtuse than I think.

Yeah I have e experience with chocolate brown, and Asa blue swatches are found easily so it's cool. And yeah, pictures and the mobile version of FPN don't get along well

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

Nope. I carry whatever strikes me. Usually I have at least one "normal" color - blue, or black, or sepia, or... but not always.

Today I had Iroshizuku Kosumosu and vintage Parker V-Mail black. (The V-Mail could be an EDC, it seems to work very well, but I enjoy the variety too much.)

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I think I have settled on Roher & Klinger Scabiosa for my EDC ink. It is a good wet ink, with waterproof qualities, and a conservative color that isn't a boring blue black. I'll post a swatch when I get home.

I have the same two pens continually inked with my EDC inks.

Diamine Sapphire blue

And

Diamine Onyx black

The rest all chop and change and I play with them all, on most days.

I'm enjoying Florida blue in my Ahab at the minute, which has lovely shading with the flex.

Ian

I consider blue-black to be the ideal EDC, and am intending to use Starry Night for just that purpose.

If my order would only ever ship.....

(hint, hint)

Wait, hasn't it shipped?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Diamine Imperial Purple for sure, and recently I carry a back too from my black collection (Platinum Carbon Black / Caran d'Ache Carbon / J. Herbin Perle Noire), or whatever please me.

I have one of the original Visconti Traveling Ink Pots from the 90's (I think it was the 90's). I always carry that with my pens in a three pen case and have it filled with Diamine Chocolate Brown. Since they're so darn expensive now, has anyone come up with a hack for carrying extra ink? Don't mean to hijack this thread but it seemed to go hand in hand. 😉

I have one of the original Visconti Traveling Ink Pots from the 90's (I think it was the 90's). I always carry that with my pens in a three pen case and have it filled with Diamine Chocolate Brown. Since they're so darn expensive now, has anyone come up with a hack for carrying extra ink? Don't mean to hijack this thread but it seemed to go hand in hand.

I know, but its looking so good, its on my wish list and eventually will buy it. But usually I check my ink level. Although sadly recent days I use less ink and fountain pen than I desire.

My EDC is Iroshizuku Asa Gao. It's one of two colors that the family keeps an extra bottle around. The ink just works in every pen!

Of course, now that the KWZI order has shipped, we'll see how the new colors fit into the mix.

Buzz