Do You Have A Pen That Seems To Have A Miracle Nib?

jdllizard

So to start I'll admit I keep many pens inked at a time. Some are daily users, some are rebuilds that I'm keeping inked for continued testing, some are just new, cheap pens I inked to see how they performed. Usually I test write a phrase (or several) and do some basic scribbles with each one every week or two, to keep the ink flowing and try to keep them from drying out. Tonight I decided it was way past time I cleaned and flushed some that won't be daily users and I'm done testing so I can safely put them away.

I finally get to a lovely grey Esty Dollar pen with a 9668 nib that I rebuilt probably nearly a year ago and have kept inked ever since. Now if you recall I mentioned I try to sit and write even a few scribbles with each inked pen every week or so, but this time I let it go way to long. It's been months since I picked this pen up and wrote anything with it, yet without so much as even the slightest prompt or hesitation of flow, it laid down ink like I had been using it consistently all along. It's like a miracle nib, smooth as butter and just won't dry out!

I decided rather than the usual clean and flush so it can go back into the collection, it will remain inked for more daily use.

How can you not love a pen like that!

John L

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jdllizard

• pajaro

• Lovely_Pen

• blazingthrough

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, of course. The great 9314-M on my go-to pen is that way also. Whether it's a coupla days, or weeks; it never fails to start up without a skip. And as I recall, the original 2668 I started with back in the '50s did the same.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Yes, of course. The great 9314-M on my go-to pen is that way also. Whether it's a coupla days, or weeks; it never fails to start up without a skip. And as I recall, the original 2668 I started with back in the '50s did the same.

I was going to say my 9314-M nib as well :) It's seriously the smoothest and wettest nib that I've ever had the pleasure of using...not sure if the seller just tuned it extremely well or what, but I love that nib beyond explanation. No other stub/italic nib even comes close...even my non-FP loving hubby tried the nib and was shocked at how nice it felt to write with.

In this pic, the 9314-M is the nib on the right.

post-99317-0-89261500-1428969488_thumb.jpg

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλεις, ἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The first nib that I thought of was my . . . 9314-M that lives on a pink CH. Never fails to start and wet enough to make the most pallid of inks look vibrant. The 2314-B on a "vampire red" J (thanks gweimer!) is equally impressive.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I have a red Transitional J with a 2284 Signature Stub nib that lays down a beautiful line of ink. I always keep it inked and use it whenever I can. I love this pen...beyond all reason. It has never failed me.

2 different replies with 9314-M, I've got one but I've never had it in a pen. I think I'll put it in my green bandless and see how it writes.

John L

Good old basic 2668 for me!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f295/fast14riot/2011-12-30003720.jpg

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f295/fast14riot/2011-11-05000128.jpg http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.png

I have a 9668 which I honed into an italic. I'd put it up against any professional regrind. Awesome line variation, and no digging trenches in the paper - not even with cheap copier paper.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

9312 italic, 2312 italic, 9284 stub. Pretty wet. The 9314-F is pretty good too.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

How does the 9312 italic compare to the 2312 italic?

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλεις, ἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

How does the 9312 italic compare to the 2312 italic?

There's not much difference, really. There's not a lot of tipping on these nibs. They are rather flat. Both are more like a cursive italic than a sharp italic. I do think I have had more enjoyment from these nibs than from the other Esterbrooks. I like the line variation. Since I am not using pens for work any more, fun uses are about all that's left.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I do not have a 2312 or a 9312. Going to have to keep an eye out for one or both of those.

John L