Replacing A Missing Tassie On A Vacumatic Blind Cap?

jdllizard

I recently won an auction for a vac to rebuild (golden pearl, 1941, speedline filler) that was missing it's blind cap tassie, it's one of the ones without the threaded jewel. It just has a faux jewel machined into the blind cap, and a ridge where the tassie aught to be.

Can a replacement tassie be added back on? I assume the old one's gone because of celluloid shrinkage, so would a replacement have to be glued on or is there a better fix?

I plan on keeping this pen for my collection but I'd really like to have it complete with the tassie.

Also, are those reproduction tassies I see on an auction site any good, or are they ill fitting and not worth it?

John L

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Brian-McQueen

• jdllizard

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to get a new tassie on your pen is with glue, and I don't even know if that would hold it well. I can't speak on the quality of the reproductions. Your best bet is to get an entirely new blind cap. You can probably get a decent blind cap for just a little more than a repro tassie.

The reproductions are decent quality. Reproduction jewels from Woodbin tend to be pretty good too. I don't know if a tassie can be pressed on over the faux jewel or not. You would need to use glue. If it's a bulls eye jewel, you may want to find a way to preserve it. If it's black, cutting it off, drilling and tapping for a reproduction jewel is an option. Note that it's best done on a lathe.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.