Price Of A Sheaffer Legacy I?

Lovely_Pen

I noticed that nibs.com has some nice looking Sheaffer NOS and used pens available, and I just thought I'd ask here on the forum what a good price for a Sheaffer Legacy I would be? The design is very appealing and the weight doesn't put me off at all.

Thanks for any replies!

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλεις, ἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ink-syringe

• Lovely_Pen

• jar

• Pincel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would depend on the particular pen and whether or not is cam with all the materials, box and papers but I would suggest between $125.00 and $1250.00.

You might check with Vanness Pen. I bought mine there last year & at that time I believe they had more available. Mine is a copper color & came in a boxed set with a Daum inkwell. They even managed to locate a stub nib for it & I have been very happy with it. The price was certainly on the "lower end" of that curve!

(I am NOT related to nor employed by Vanness...just think they have provided me with nice pens & unique inks & would like others to know about same.)

I bought one of those nib.com puppies. Seemed like a good price, esp since they will go over the pen before shipping, which is a big deal to me. 50% of the time i buy a pen and it has to be sent back for something and from here shipping is slow and expensive. I need it done the right the first time.

Fingers crossed.

(this was me admitting I'll never be able to swing a PFM)

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Thanks for the replies everyone. I took the plunge and used some store credit to buy one! Here's hoping the two of us get along :)

Mine's here. It is unbelievable. Holy cow.

Mine's here. It is unbelievable. Holy cow.

So which one did you get? And without pics it never happened.

I was literally taking a picture (bad one, it's night here) now... and typing something up....

I have ALWAYS wanted either a Legacy I or a metal cap PFM. I do not like the current Heritage series that much and I prefer the styling of the Legacy I to the II but would have taken the II if the I in black and 2 tone palladium gold plated trim version was not just sitting there for the taking. As luck would have it pretty much the very one I would have picked was available (841).

I just really like that version of the cap, w/ black laque. The squared-off barrel ends look better on the Legacy I (imo) also and I usually dislike jewelry finishes (esp. 90s Sheaffer jewelry finishes, my Targa looks slutty) so the 841 is the one I been kind of keeping an eye out for. I just could not let this go by the boards at this price. It is gently used and in nice shape and from a reputable dealer. It wasn't a good time for me to buy but. Yeah. I did and I am selling a bunch of pens to make up for it.

I know it is honeymoon phase but the Legacy I, that’s the sweet spot and so far (3 days in) it has exceeded expectations. The nib is a somewhat slender M but it is one of the best garden variety round nib I have ever used in my life. I am not sure what all nibs.com does to these things. I have/had a bunch of Targas and Imperial TDs. They are all amazing. Love these nibs, but this one is a cut above. I brought it to the local pen counter and everyone was oohing and ah-ing over the writing experience. Wet, smooth. Plus it is just so nice to look at

& it is very comfortable. It's about that 149/M800 size, which for me is perfect. The pen is weighty but not oppressive and very evenly balanced (much better than the Heritage pens I have tried).

One problem: I have no idea how the cart/converter part works. I just filled it as a regular touch down filler like an Imperial TD but I gather the barrel unscrews?
What a pen. Usually I am angry at myself when I do this. I have a ton of bills. I am supposed to be selling and not buying but I am going to give myself a pass on this one. It would have been dumb to let this one go. As penance I sold a pen I just bought and a lovely vintage waterman and will put some other things up.
Here it is next to the only other spendy modern pen I own the MB 146 I scored in a trade in order to sell that I now can not get myself to part with.
I am rambling..... sorry but as new pen days go this was the biggest ever for me. This was a grail pen and it is every bit as awesome as I thought it would be. What pen. Just epic.
LOOK AT THAT MONSTER!!!! LOOK AT IT!

post-115445-0-41756300-1429371295_thumb.jpg

One problem: I have no idea how the cart/converter part works. I just filled it as a regular touch down filler like an Imperial TD but I gather the barrel unscrews?

Yup, the section and barrel unscrew. Inside is a cartridge sized tube with a hole on the end and a sac inside.

http://www.fototime.com/B94EC2D6EF318E2/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/F87C90AA6FDEA37/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/316845275CE82D4/large.jpg

What is neat is that if it ever dies you can replace it with the standard Sheaffer squeeze converter.

Thanks.

Those pictures are helpful.

The barrel seems unusually hard to unscrew so I panicked. Screwed it back in and just filled it like a regular Touchdown filler.

I'll need to get a converter as my plan B ... when the touchdown inevitable kicks the bucket. Hopefully the nib won't also start leaking like my Targa(s) all did. Eventually.

Again, it is the honeymoon period and I am a bit of a Sheaffer homer but this pen. wow. I just adore it. Totally exceeds my expectations.

ARE YOU LOOKING AT IT?!?

LOOK AT IT!!

post-115445-0-13970000-1429376460_thumb.jpg

I have ALWAYS wanted either a Legacy I or a metal cap PFM. I do not like the current Heritage series that much and I prefer the styling of the Legacy I to the II but would have taken the II if the I in black and 2 tone palladium gold plated trim version was not just sitting there for the taking. As luck would have it pretty much the very one I would have picked was available (841)...

It is gently used and in nice shape and from a reputable dealer. It wasn't a good time for me to buy but. Yeah. I did and I am selling a bunch of pens to make up for it.

Me too, answered to the song of the siren. I was after this one:

fpn_1429376824__heritage.jpg

But alas, three days later, I got a reply this item has been sold! Not as lucky as you. Congratulations! Enjoy your Legacy I, Kevin.

Edited by BeRa

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

Ah. shucks. Better luck next time BeRa. I feel bad now a little dancing in the end zone but every time i pick this pen up i get giddy.

Hope you get one soon.

Meanwhile, wonder how the OP Is getting on with theirs?

I too received mine in the mail just yesterday and it is a thing of beauty! I am blown away by the great construction, and it definitely feels like a "flagship pen." For $139 I think these pens were just begging to be bought.

I too received mine in the mail just yesterday and it is a thing of beauty! I am blown away by the great construction, and it definitely feels like a "flagship pen." For $139 I think these pens were just begging to be bought.

What did you get? Is it the one I missed? Pictures?

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

Edited by ink-syringe

and it definitely feels like a "flagship pen."

I feel the same way. Well put. As a writer and in terms of comfort and looks I put mine as equal to or superior to the 146. I have no idea if it is as robust and the filling system is idiosyncratic but the pen feels great in the hand and the nib is incredible. I have no idea how it will be down the road and if the inlaid nib will start to leak or what have you but the laque the cap metal the nib all seem luxurious. Ah Sheaffer. You could have been a contenda. This could have been the American 146/M800 class pen.

I feel the same way. Well put. As a writer and in terms of comfort and looks I put mine as equal to or superior to the 146. I have no idea if it is as robust and the filling system is idiosyncratic but the pen feels great in the hand and the nib is incredible. I have no idea how it will be down the road and if the inlaid nib will start to leak or what have you but the laque the cap metal the nib all seem luxurious. Ah Sheaffer. You could have been a contenda. This could have been the American 146/M800 class pen.

I have several of the Legacy, Legacy 2 and Legacy Heritage versions and honestly have never found any difference in performance, looks or reliability.