fountainpenlady

Also I'd add to the list a Lamy Safari and possibly a Studio.

I think the Safari was the second or third pen I bought when first got back into fountain pens. I had tried one before and kind of new it was a pen that wouldn't work for me however it's one of those pens that gets so much hype on here I thought it was worth giving it another shot. However I should have trusted myself and not bothered because I think it has the record for me for being the one pen I never managed to get through even a converter full of ink the grip to me feels like a game if twister with ones fingers it that uncomfortable. I sold last year at a very good price as I wanted rid of it.

I so agree with almost eveything you wrote about the Safari. Much of it is how I became interested. I have to laugh since I have four Safaris!!!!! :lticaptd: All due in part to the hype. There is also a lovely artist, whose tag name is Buffybean, who swears by them and has a nice colorful collection. Seeing and reading all the pretty colors and her passion for them, sold me. I beleive three of them, other than the red are limited editions. Yet, you are spot on with your impression. They contine to feel to me like starter fountain pens. They are perhaps like the step up or as I have read the description, "work horse" when others have referred to them. They easily stain, for this reason the idea of selling them is out of the question. Also, I realize they are not worthless so offering them right now as a PIF is not something I am solidly thinking of doing at the moment. I have also modified the nibs, which were extra fine and I tuned them further, but they are black-coated and not so black on the edges. I enjoy the nib of one of them though. I have a collection of Iroshizuku inks. Now, the one Safari in rotation is used to enjoy the Iroshizuku inks exclusively. For that reason alone, I have no less than two additional converters, which were purchased as extras for all of them, and it will at least get some use.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• The Blue Knight

• inkstainedruth

• Cryptos

Only one comes to mind...In the past I've had two Picasso's which I sorely missed so I goes on Ebay and finds another, happy days! When the new Pic arrives I can't believe how terrible it is. The threads are loose and sqeak like fingernails on slate and the nib was so awful I would have not even used it as a dart...Methinks I gotted a counterfeet, and a bad one at that. The only saving grace, it was not an expensive pen. It was not a real Picasso either.

BTW, the only reason I have never bought a Safari...all the hype.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

My dear sister (who is arguably the oldest Goth in captivity) creates wonderful art with those little bitty technical pens: stuff I can't do despite years of schooling and decades in the cartoon racket. Check out her work on celticjackalope.com. It may be annoying that she disdains the fountain pen, but I can't argue with the work.

My dear sister (who is arguably the oldest Goth in captivity) creates wonderful art with those little bitty technical pens: stuff I can't do despite years of schooling and decades in the cartoon racket. Check out her work on celticjackalope.com. It may be annoying that she disdains the fountain pen, but I can't argue with the work.

Checked it out. You are indeed right from this sample. She is an artist with her chosen tool. Symbolically stepping back..some of us can be near snobs when it comes to others for whom fountain pens are just not their chosen writing or self-expression instruments. Also, having a brother myself, who is not into writing, journal or poetry, or otherwise, fountain pens, bottled inks or off white plain paper, I fully understand. Your honestly and praise of her is impressive. Be Well

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Chrissy, does your Bexley have any smell? Originally, mine had an innocent kind of smell I can only describe in remembering when a child and getting perhaps a free hard plastic toy in a corn flake box or something. Not offensive. Well, years later when I unboxed it again several months ago, the smell was and is obnoxious. I thought initially my imagination. Next, I purchased a new converter thinking the smell was coming from the converter. To no avail. The smell permeated through the body of the pen and also made the converter have the same smell. After months ago purchasing a Goulet nib steel nib and it being my first time changing a nib, the pen once again became one I enjoyed wriitng with often. Yet, the smell of the pen and frankly the "must be the resin used" excuse which simply says to me after having paid nearly $300.00 for a pen years ago, I am stuck with a foul smelling pen is unutterable. It is a learning lesson for me. Should I find out what a pen is made from before buying or falling in love and purchasing it? Should I do some research about the pen's history? Perhaps only purchase pens which others have reviewed and smelled? If a pen is made from resin take this as a cautionary tale and keep it moving? Refine my taste to ensure I don't experience this again? Or, stop here.

No, my Bexley doesn't have any noticeable smell. I much prefer gold nibs in my pens so I would be reluctant to change mine

Chrissy, For many years, I too was a gold nib snob. I only used 18kt gold, slumming was 14kt for me. Yet, my Bexley's nib was damaged and would not perform as meant when I first purchased it. I also had the nib tuned upon purchase to write as an extra fine point instead of a fine. My decision to purchase and try out a steel nib was for me the least expensive of options. The pen was not my top writer in terms of being in current rotation. I simply pulled pen out of the box again after nearly 10 years of being boxed, unused and redeveloped a fondness for it. Not to mention, Bexley no longer makes gold nibs anymore for their Bexley pens. Therefore, unless one obtains a gold nib from somewhere else, Bexley only offers steel nibs for pens purchased if there develops something wrong and a replacement nib is needed from them. Something to keep in mind. I could have researched perhaps another maker's nib, which might have proved almost equal to the cost of the pen originally; made little sense to me. The pen continues to hold more sentimental value. Although, it cost me much more than one dollar, but it is not my favorite any longer. Therefore, I decided what the heck. If nothing else, I would only lose $17.32, which was cost for the replacement nib, including shipping. It was an extra fine and honestly wrote better than original gold nib. I have as a result, replaced my Noodler's Ahabs with the steel nibs. I am also awaiting another one to see whether it will work again for my funky ailing Bexley. You are fortunate, whatever the resin used for your pen was not defective. I was not so fortunate, lucky or lacking the ability to smell it, while trying to enjoy writing with it, steel nib and all. ;)

I know we love all our writing instruments.

Yet, do you have a pen you wish you had left unpurchased? A pen you wish you had not spent money to own? A pen which perhaps worked initially, but now weeks, months, years later has stopped working smoothly and providing ink perfectly? You can't even use it as a doorstop! A pen which no original warranty or formally solid iron-clad guarantee dare apply? What pen do you own, which you wish you never took home! Noone will tell your pen, promise.

Just between you and me, mine is an America the Beautiful Bexley.

What is your pen of written discourse or pen of ill-refute? :wallbash:

I can't really say I've spent significant cash on any pen that didn't work. Okay, there was one of my first fps, a no-name plastic-bodied purple thingy that leaked. But it was two dollars, and today, I'd either be able to repair it or I'd use it to dip-test inks.

I have a couple of NOS Hero pens that had problems from the start, but we're talking $10 and under, and these may be repairable. When I get the time.

What I have found, however, is that certain pens turn out to write well, but they don't suit me. These, I either sell or PIF.

Sorry 'bout your Bad Pen Experience!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Wonderful detail on those drawings, especially on the Gods and Goddesses. Would be real tough to achieve that kind of finesse with an FP.

A lifelong FP user...

Sailor Kenshin

You put things into nice perspective. Guess if really honest, I wish others who are new to this interest would perhaps consider things which you avoided, and I seem not to be the only one who has experience. This passion we share has a myriad of choices, price range end to end. You can get free from someone, or as I did days ago purchase and sent my grandson two of his first fountain pens, each only costing $3.00. There are fountain pens for those who have more money, which can cost as high as nearly a million dollars. There are all prices in-between. What made my mouth fly open is others who post pens in the classified section, $11.000.00, even more. Yet, I sincerely hope we don't all have to fall down the pit of regret looking back because we jumped in impulse into this wonderful interest. I refrain from saying hobby, because it is more than that for me. It is an element of how I define my individual and unique self; it is my chosen tool for one form of communication; it sets me apart from those who are strictly into technology. It fuels my passion for using different inks and my love of plain off-white paper. It compels my quests. So, my Bexley still pretty from afar; still reminds me of the first and hopefully not the only Triangle Pen Show attended years ago. I don't remember how he looks, but I remember Mr. Richard Binder tuned my pen. He is I guess one of the legends, since I also have an M800 nib with his Waverly tip. I got to be around others for whom my passion is not foreign, strange, abnormal, not unusual. The vibes were truly contentment. Found myself not wanting to buy up the entire hall of merchandise on tables; but enjoyed seeing so many choices available. This year I am hoping to attend and also splurge and make it a belated Mother's Day present to self to return again to the Pen Show. This time a little wiser, a little less giddy, perhaps enjoying the experience more than thinking I can not possibly leave without that one pen I do not need and would make my already perfect collection jealous. To coin a well used modern phrase, "it's all good!"

So, the Bexley still pretty from afar; still reminds me of the first and hopefully not the only Triangle Pen Show attended years ago. I don't remember him, but remember Mr. Richard Binder tuned my pen. He is I guess one of the legends, since I also have an M800 nib with his Waverly tip

Very well put, I couldn't agree more. Part of this is what I tell myself when I sell a pen cheap or I give a pen away. At one point in time that pen made sense, it may have been the finish, it may have been the price, it may have been the nib. It's too easy to sulk when a pen that you spent your hard earned money on falls out of favor and you realize the resale is a fraction of what you paid for it.

However the best way to think of it is to see the positives in letting that pen go. It may be if it's a PIF doing a good dead. If it's selling a pen you will at least be able to use your favorite pens more often, it maybe adding a degree of order to your collection. It maybe that you consider the purchase like a rental and think you got a good amount of use for only £x. Or even thinking of it I'd spent that money e.g. Alcohol you would have nothing to show for it except from a bad hangover however I still at least have a nice pen.

I think it helps to put things into perspective.

Very well put, I couldn't agree more. Part of this is what I tell myself when I sell a pen cheap or I give a pen away. At one point in time that pen made sense, it may have been the finish, it may have been the price, it may have been the nib. It's too easy to sulk when a pen that you spent your hard earned money on falls out of favor and you realize the resale is a fraction of what you paid for it.

However the best way to think of it is to see the positives in letting that pen go. It may be if it's a PIF doing a good dead. If it's selling a pen you will at least be able to use your favorite pens more often, it maybe adding a degree of order to your collection. It maybe that you consider the purchase like a rental and think you got a good amount of use for only £x. Or even thinking of it I'd spent that money e.g. Alcohol you would have nothing to show for it except from a bad hangover however I still at least have a nice pen.

I think it helps to put things into perspective.

So very, very true. I am not ready to part with my Bexley for reasons written already.Yet, once I see whether my last remedy works, someday.... In agreement with you, do you know how many chocolate delights or vanilla ice cream, with sprinkles I could have purchased? Since I live with Diabetes, my alternative choices could have very well killed me in one sitting; still I would have nothing to show for it, dirt is dirt if you are buried amongst it. You are so right. :lticaptd:

The thing is that pen is all about the nib. The nib is sublime and you have let the pen grow on you and in no more then 1 months time it would be a favorite.

That's what I found. When I first bought it I questioned why I spent £60 on a at first a pen that appeared mundane and boring and felt so light however after a month I really began t love using it and still do to this day.

What finish was it?

The standard green with the black stripes. Don't know if you want more than that, but I got rid of it a year ago, and that's all I remember. From the moment I got it, I didn't like it. That's why I never wrote with it. I figured I could get more for it, if it was unused. I did too, and I've never had any regrets, and have never looked at another Pelikan.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

The standard green with the black stripes. Don't know if you want more than that, but I got rid of it a year ago, and that's all I remember. From the moment I got it, I didn't like it. That's why I never wrote with it. I figured I could get more for it, if it was unused. I did too, and I've never had any regrets, and have never looked at another Pelikan.

There nothing wrong with doing it of course but if it was me I would have at least tried dipping it. A lot of the pens I own which I value the most I could have easily dismissed when I first picked them up but though experience I know that you should give each pen a week or two use before you brush it off as not being a pen that is suited to me. A lot of pens just require a bit of time to get used to them.

I'd have agree with you about the green finish though as I think it looks kind of cheap along side the far nicer look of the sovereign line up. That's why I went for the black.

Edited by The Blue Knight

"I can't give it away !"

Of course, you can. You just won't. That's okay. Have it fixed, or abandon

it into a drawer.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

"I can't give it away !"

Of course, you can. You just won't. That's okay. Have it fixed, or abandon

it into a drawer.

It was simply a rhetorical title and topic in order to get the conversation started and for others to share their experiences. Initially, and honestly, I am kind of disappointed in myself for having been so impulsive to have purchased it in the first place. I have never heard or experienced anything remotely like this situation. My Noodler's Ahabs, which others have remarked on the smell is not offensive to me. I can give it away, throw it away, use a hammer and smash into pieces and sprinkle like resin confetti; however, repeatedly, I have said for now, it still holds an obnoxious odor and sentimental value.

Also, I have just been notified a new Goulet #6 nib is on the way and I am going to try to see what it does before, I absolutely give up and decide what to do with my funky writing instrument. If there is any feedback whatsoever, I am assured by your response you will enjoy receiving them via pm. However, unless totally poor, desperate, or whatever reasoning, who in their right mind would want a pen which stinks when you are writing with it? Even a free one? Even a lower mid-level expensive one? I'll decide for sure what to do with it, but I thank you sincerely for your additional suggestions. Enjoy the rest of this wonderful day. :D Feeling particularly salty this Monday, and contrary. Perhaps tomorrow will do better with the measure of my appearance of discontent. Peace.

The only pen I've spent a substantial amount of money on, a Homo Sapiens Steel I bought myself to commemorate receiving tenure. I knew nothing about Viscontis, but I fell for the unusual material at my semi-local B&M pen shop. Got it home, inked it up, and it just gushed. Feathered and bled like crazy on every paper I had handy.

First I sent it in to have the medium nib replaced with a fine, no improvement. Then I sent it off to be tuned to reduce the flow, and just got it back a couple of weeks ago. It's better, but still just too wet for my tastes. I'm shopping around for "better" notebooks so hopefully I can still use it, but at this point I'm just sort of disappointed and a little peeved at myself for spending so much money on a tool I don't like using.

Dear Fountainpenlady,

Actually I'm my sister's sister...if you've ever seen Sparks, with the glamourous brother and the unglamourous brother, we're the female equivalent.

But her stuff's amazing. You've seen my work, too (if you have little children) as my gig is character designer on "Sofia The First".

The only pen I've spent a substantial amount of money on, a Homo Sapiens Steel I bought myself to commemorate receiving tenure. I knew nothing about Viscontis, but I fell for the unusual material at my semi-local B&M pen shop. Got it home, inked it up, and it just gushed. Feathered and bled like crazy on every paper I had handy.

First I sent it in to have the medium nib replaced with a fine, no improvement. Then I sent it off to be tuned to reduce the flow, and just got it back a couple of weeks ago. It's better, but still just too wet for my tastes. I'm shopping around for "better" notebooks so hopefully I can still use it, but at this point I'm just sort of disappointed and a little peeved at myself for spending so much money on a tool I don't like using.

I can certainly commiserate with you. I have and continue to be there symbolically. Try the Clairefontaine. Although, it may make the ink glisten and the ink may dry slower. Yet, when I think of possible paper you might need for your gusher, I can see nothing remotely adequate. Do you like Rhodia? I am thinking something with some tooth or texture would exacerbate the situation. Yet, something like those mentioned, although slick would certainly make the ink feel a bit better once it eventually dries. Good Luck.

It was simply a rhetorical title and topic in order to get the conversation started and for others to share their experiences. Initially, and honestly, I am kind of disappointed in myself for having been so impulsive to have purchased it in the first place. I have never heard or experienced anything remotely like this situation. My Noodler's Ahabs, which others have remarked on the smell is not offensive to me. I can give it away, throw it away, use a hammer and smash into pieces and sprinkle like resin confetti; however, repeatedly, I have said for now, it still holds an obnoxious odor and sentimental value.

Also, I have just been notified a new Goulet #6 nib is on the way and I am going to try to see what it does before, I absolutely give up and decide what to do with my funky writing instrument. If there is any feedback whatsoever, I am assured by your response you will enjoy receiving them via pm. However, unless totally poor, desperate, or whatever reasoning, who in their right mind would want a pen which stinks when you are writing with it? Even a free one? Even a lower mid-level expensive one? I'll decide for sure what to do with it, but I thank you sincerely for your additional suggestions. Enjoy the rest of this wonderful day. :D Feeling particularly salty this Monday, and contrary. Perhaps tomorrow will do better with the measure of my appearance of discontent. Peace.

Ah ! Deep inside, you love that pen. It is like the "ugly puppy". How can I NOT

love an ugly puppy ? Everybody has at least one "ugly puppy". Full hearts to all.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I can certainly commiserate with you. I have and continue to be there symbolically. Try the Clairefontaine. Although, it may make the ink glisten and the ink may dry slower. Yet, when I think of possible paper you might need for your gusher, I can see nothing remotely adequate. Do you like Rhodia? I am thinking something with some tooth or texture would exacerbate the situation. Yet, something like those mentioned, although slick would certainly make the ink feel a bit better once it eventually dries. Good Luck.

I'm just now beginning to experiment with the notebooks. I have a Rhodia and a Red 'n Black in my Amazon shopping cart, hopefully one of them will be suitable. Actually I'm pulling for the Red 'n Black to work, it's a significantly cheaper option. :blush: