fountainpenlady

I know we love all our writing instruments.

Yet, do you have a pen you wish you had left unpurchased? A pen you wish you had not spent money to own? A pen which perhaps worked initially, but now weeks, months, years later has stopped working smoothly and providing ink perfectly? You can't even use it as a doorstop! A pen which no original warranty or formally solid iron-clad guarantee dare apply? What pen do you own, which you wish you never took home! Noone will tell your pen, promise.

Just between you and me, mine is an America the Beautiful Bexley.

What is your pen of written discourse or pen of ill-refute? :wallbash:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• The Blue Knight

• TheOtherBart

• Cryptos

I can honestly say I don't have one, the best I can say is I have the odd FP that does not get used as much as others but that's about it.

I would think this could because I buy more vintage pens than new ones and get what I really want rather than what is trendy.

I am holidaying, at present, on the Gold Coast in beautiful Queensland, Australia and went to a local B&M pen shop yesterday, there were plenty of beautiful pens on display but none really floated my boat. There were however, some should I have bought them, would have fitted perfectly into your post's topic.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I've had quite a few actually. Mostly poorly assessed by me prior to purchase, although a few were also poorly restored by professionals after purchase. Luckily there were a few people here on FPN who were more than happy to take them for free - in the majority of cases I even stumped up the shipping too. I don't have any left that do not work but I do have a few that I do not use - mainly because they do not suit my hand one way or another.

Overall my net pens coming in/pens going out is in the loss zone. If I look at vintage pens (i.e. no longer in production, for sake of drawing a line) I have just 14 pens left.

If they really don't work anymore and you cannot sell them, give them away! There are always people out there willing to tinker with such things. Then you don't have to worry about them anymore. :D

I've had quite a few actually. Mostly poorly assessed by me prior to purchase, although a few were also poorly restored by professionals after purchase. Luckily there were a few people here on FPN who were more than happy to take them for free - in the majority of cases I even stumped up the shipping too. I don't have any left that do not work but I do have a few that I do not use - mainly because they do not suit my hand one way or another.

Overall my net pens coming in/pens going out is in the loss zone. If I look at vintage pens (i.e. no longer in production, for sake of drawing a line) I have just 14 pens left.

If they really don't work anymore and you cannot sell them, give them away! There are always people out there willing to tinker with such things. Then you don't have to worry about them anymore. :D

I am going to attempt one more remedy. It will only hopefully address one of the issues with the pen, not others. Yet, what happens if the issue with the pen is one where giving it away must also include the caveat of "don't berate me, even in memory; the person received the pen for no cost. The issue known, one can not act as if unknown before receiving the pen. Unsure how evolved people are in actually receviing something, getting it for no cost and then not acting as if they were doing the person offering a favor, and they have been duly duped. I would rather not know what was done to it after the person receives it.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I haven't had any complaints yet, although one recipient let me know that a pen eventually snapped in half, just as information. I would like to think that if people are willing to take them in to have a go at getting them working, and the giver is totally transparent on known issues, and they are free, then you will not get any responses berating you.

I don't have specific pen however I do have a period of time when I was buying pens for the sake of it. In Mid 2013 when I was first coming back to fountain pens and I was buying a pen every week for about 2 months looking at people pens on FPN thinking I wanted a collection too. However to build it I was buying quantity over quality. I ended up PIF'ing most of these pens last year and selling the odd one or two as well as most of them were fairly cheap . Know that I only have 12 pens decent mostly mid range pens I am far more discerning in what I buy and try to plan purchases far more to avoid impulse purchases.

What's the Bexley's issue(s)?

That's a nice enough pen, and obviously you at least liked the way it looks, that it deserves a pen tune up from a pro if you can't work through the issue. (With our help) If it Came to you not right and was new, I would think Bexley would help you with it.

I only have one real Bzzt. Tilt. Fail.

The Black Laque Sonnet of Satan.

No. Way. Could I ever torture another person by giving it to them.

I guess I keep it as a lesson learned. A reminder to Resist the Shiny, I *knew* better than buy a used Sonnet on Fleabay, it was an inexcusable, dumb ass move. A reminder that if you must attain The Shiny, there are right and wrong ways to do that.

So it sits unused in one of my 12X carry cases.

That's ok I guess, it really is a beautiful pen. And I'm not terribly fond of Black pens.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I don't have specific pen however I do have a period of time when I was buying pens for the sake of it. In Mid 2013 when I was first coming back to fountain pens and I was buying a pen every week for about 2 months looking at people pens on FPN thinking I wanted a collection too. However to build it I was buying quantity over quality. I ended up PIF'ing most of these pens last year and selling the odd one or two as well as most of them were fairly cheap . Know that I only have 12 pens decent mostly mid range pens I am far more discerning in what I buy and try to plan purchases far more to avoid impulse purchases.

Unfortunately my mistakes ran to several hundred dollars in total. A burden that I haven't really recovered from. I am in the zone where I cannot afford nice examples of anything - everything is user grade - and that's not likely to change any time soon. It's made giving stuff away a little easier, but it also makes choosing something to acquire much more problematic. When I see some of the lovely examples show on the boards - Bruce's pictures of 51s spring to mind - I can only look on with a certain resigned wistfulness, knowing that I will not only never be able to acquire anything like that, but will probably never even lay eyes on them. However, that is a separate issue, and not something I have any power to rectify.

Maybe we could have an exchange program for budding restorers and tinkerers. Even doorstops must have some salvageable parts that would be useful to someone.

Unfortunately, I have had at least two pens in my collection which I wish never purchased. One was a Waterman Briarwood LeMan 100. Purchased it new many years ago, along with another wooden choice of the series. Over time and years I guess it developed a hairline fracture. I have read this happens. It was is not a sign of misuse. After initially writiing with both, I boxed it up and left it in the box for years. I decided to sell both. The briarwood was being sold; I provided pictures, also revealed hairline fracture. I sold the pen. The person then turned around and demanded their money back; the excuse used was that there was a crack in the pen's body. Money returned. The pen kept in its case prior to the sale, returned to it case after the sale and returned to me. At some point, disgusted by the entire matter, I threw pen, case and converter away. Too much of a reminder of the entire sordid affair.

Now, I have a Bexley. Purchased this Bexley in the early 2000s. It was during my first Pen Show attended and I purchased it without any thought. Simply, it was nearly all red. I wanted a purchase to remember my first pen show and it was this fountain pen. I enjoyed this pen, inspite of the hard plastic odor. Even had Richard Binder, whom I purchased the pen from at one of the tables grind its nib more so that it would be an extra fine instead of the fine point it originally possessed. It had been kept boxed for several years after that so I did not use it much. Recenlty, unboxed it and granted the nib was damaged due to misuse in perhaps days, the smell changed. It developed an obnoxious odor. I purchased a new converter thinking it was the old one which gave the odor. It was the pen's body, the plastic itself. Decided to seek help for the feed and nib. The feed no longer accomodated nib correctly. While boxing it up to send for repair, body of pen fell a part. Yes, lower part of pen fell away from upper part of body of pen. Can't recall how much I paid for the pen back when first purchased; over two hundred dollars, much more because I paid for the extra grind. Recently returned from Bexley, pen's body has been I guess made whole again. The original nib I refused to send somewhere else so they could charge me more to see whether they could repair it. I am through! May see whether a steel nib will make any difference, if not, I can use the steel nib for an Ahab spare. As for the pen, might become a PIF at some point. I realize that having thrown away the Waterman, someone could have tinkered with it. At the point thrown away, I was not thinking about whether someone else could use it as a doorstop.

That would be the Parker Urban, initially bought to (temporarily) replace the Vector I'd left at my brother-in-law's house.

Broke a converter trying to put it in the pen. Sent it back to Parker -- well, Newell-Rubbermaid (under warranty). They were kinda snotty about it and sent me a slide converter. That converter got stuck in the barrel, and the pen went *back* to them (on their dime). Replaced the pen and converter, but the new pen's nib unit leaks out from under the section on the upper side of the nib. At this point it's probably out of warranty, doesn't get used, probably would cost too much to have repaired. I'd throw it away, except that the set (pen, converter, cartridges and bottle of Quink) cost me $50 originally, *plus* I had to pay for shipping, insurance and a piece of PVC pipe to mail it in the first time, plus insurance the second time.

And I can't sell it or even do a PiF -- I'd feel entirely too guilty palming off the piece of cr*p onto some unsuspecting person.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And I can't sell it or even do a PiF -- I'd feel entirely too guilty palming off the piece of cr*p onto some unsuspecting person....

You can give it away. Someone will find a use for it. As long as you tell them what the problems are. As an aside, 'letting go' is a useful quality to cultivate.

I haven't had any complaints yet, although one recipient let me know that a pen eventually snapped in half, just as information. I would like to think that if people are willing to take them in to have a go at getting them working, and the giver is totally transparent on known issues, and they are free, then you will not get any responses berating you.

As one who had the honor and privilege of receiving one of your pens, I would like to say it has become a regular. In fact, I even have it filled with an ink from down under - currently Blackstone Blue Cashmere. Works wonderfully even though I have that ink mixed dry. I need to try it with Red or Green Cashmere......which are mixed wetter.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Oops. Double post

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

That would be the Parker Urban, initially bought to (temporarily) replace the Vector I'd left at my brother-in-law's house.

Broke a converter trying to put it in the pen. Sent it back to Parker -- well, Newell-Rubbermaid (under warranty). They were kinda snotty about it and sent me a slide converter. That converter got stuck in the barrel, and the pen went *back* to them (on their dime). Replaced the pen and converter, but the new pen's nib unit leaks out from under the section on the upper side of the nib. At this point it's probably out of warranty, doesn't get used, probably would cost too much to have repaired. I'd throw it away, except that the set (pen, converter, cartridges and bottle of Quink) cost me $50 originally, *plus* I had to pay for shipping, insurance and a piece of PVC pipe to mail it in the first time, plus insurance the second time.

And I can't sell it or even do a PiF -- I'd feel entirely too guilty palming off the piece of cr*p onto some unsuspecting person.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

See, same here. I wanted to know how much it would cost to get my pen working again. However, I made it clear I was not going to spend any more money up to a certain amount. I was given the option of sending the pen on somewhere else to have repaired. Also, originally, sent a check along with pen and it proved to not be enough for repair from original place. Too much money on a pen I do not even have in rotation. I just have sentimental value attached which dwindles each second. :lticaptd: Now it was thought I would spend additional money to see whether it could be repaired? Not. I would have to have spent more money without any guarantees. The message was something like we can see whether we can repair it. Well, I made the decision to simply put a halt to the entire thing and have the pen returned to me. I agree with you about the guilt aspect. I would be totally transparent and let whomever decide. I can't bare this time to simply throw in the trash another pen. The pens are and I know you know have cost a lot of money. Almost forgot to add, the message was also if we break your nib in trying to repair we are of course not responsible and we will try to help you find another nib. Right. :lticaptd:

Anything Noodlers.

Noodlers.

The Kobayashi Maru of fountain pens.

Wow! Now that is kind of a surprise to me. I have purchased two Noodler's Ahabs. People kept talking about them being so good for tinkering. Not my goal to be a tinkering pen person. I have made my share of mistakes believing I could do something turned out I could not accomplish. Yet, I am finding that I love my two Ahabs equal to my Omas or Pelikans. They are also the only pens in my collection which seem to enjoy Iroshizuku inks. I use those inks now exclusively in both Ahabs. Yes, they were finnicky. I opted to change both flex nibs with Goulet extra fine. They did need tweaking in terms of messing with the nib and feed so that they would not emit ink all over the place, but overall they are my favorites in rotation for the moment. I do have to watch when cleaning them. The parts are easy to go down the drain. But I kind of like them, only doubt I want to acquire an entire collection of them.

As one who had the honor and privilege of receiving one of your pens, I would like to say it has become a regular. In fact, I even have it filled with an ink from down under - currently Blackstone Blue Cashmere. Works wonderfully even though I have that ink mixed dry. I need to try it with Red or Green Cashmere......which are mixed wetter.

It's good that it finds employment. You should know that it was you who was helping me by accepting such a stray, not the other way around. And I am very grateful for that.

Edited by Cardboard_Tube

I have a Waterman Hemisphere that I don't regret purchasing, but just doesn't get too much use. The nib was swapped by the factory already once, but still writes dry and a bit scratchy. I will have to work on it someday to get it to write better, but today is not the day. This was actually my first fountain pen, but I have long moved on.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

I have a Waterman Hemisphere that I don't regret purchasing, but just doesn't get too much use. The nib was swapped by the factory already once, but still writes dry and a bit scratchy. I will have to work on it someday to get it to write better, but today is not the day. This was actually my first fountain pen, but I have long moved on.

I guess I am there with you in terms of wanting to simply move on. Yet, also I still would not have wanted to so willy nilly abandon again the pen without feeling some degree of guilt. Yet, you are no doubt where I am heading, long moved on. I wonder how many of us simply started out impulsively. Some may have no regrets, perfect match; some were so impulsive we in hindsight wish we had not gotten so easily caught up in the passion before knowing a bit more. Now, I no longer judge my own collection by the maker, or cost. I enjoy writing with them more because they fit my temperment, style and fit with where I am now in my enjoyment of this interest.

I guess I am there with you in terms of wanting to simply move on. Yet, also I still would not have wanted to so willy nilly abandon again the pen without feeling some degree of guilt. Yet, you are no doubt where I am heading, long moved on. I wonder how many of us simply started out impulsively. Some may have no regrets, perfect match; some were so impulsive we in hindsight wish we had not gotten so easily caught up in the passion before knowing a bit more. Now, I no longer judge my own collection by the maker, or cost. I enjoy writing with them more because they fit my temperment, style and fit with where I am now in my enjoyment of this interest.

Well I tried to love it, without some extra work, but I guess I just wasn't feeling it. I almost had the "It's not you. It's me." talk with my pen before storing it in my case.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens