(Leather) Pen Case For Large Pen

Pen_andy

I posted this in the main forum and did not get an answer to my queries, but that was probably the wrong place. I bought a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Oversized with an EF nib and love it. Writes smooth as butter with no pressure at all and a good inklow, not too wet with Diamine Read Dragon, just about right for me.

Now, a dilemma: I would need to put it into a case for transport. The pen is slightly bigger than my Pelikan M800 (as I knew beforehand), but that also means it won't fit into my Pelikan 2-pen case (well with some pushing it will, but that's not the point).

1. I was thinking either to get a Onoto case (the big roundy thing) but my worry is that because of the clip it won't fit. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

2. The alternative would be a Viscont 3 pen case (future growth in pen numbers!), I assume it fits, but again, does anyone know?

3. Another alternative would be the Diplomat 4 pen leather case, would that work with all 4 pens of similar size to the Visconti/M800?

Of course any other good cases/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for your help to someone new into fountian pens.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen_andy

• stevesurf

• Barkingpig

• Intellidepth

Delta Markiaro makes an orange or black single pen case large enough for my oversize Dolce Vita.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

For a "smart, debonair, handsome" leather case, that will take a large fountain pen,

take your pen to a cigar store.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I posted this in the main forum and did not get an answer to my queries, but that was probably the wrong place. I bought a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Oversized with an EF nib and love it. Writes smooth as butter with no pressure at all and a good inklow, not too wet with Diamine Read Dragon, just about right for me.

Now, a dilemma: I would need to put it into a case for transport. The pen is slightly bigger than my Pelikan M800 (as I knew beforehand), but that also means it won't fit into my Pelikan 2-pen case (well with some pushing it will, but that's not the point).

1. I was thinking either to get a Onoto case (the big roundy thing) but my worry is that because of the clip it won't fit. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

2. The alternative would be a Viscont 3 pen case (future growth in pen numbers!), I assume it fits, but again, does anyone know?

3. Another alternative would be the Diplomat 4 pen leather case, would that work with all 4 pens of similar size to the Visconti/M800?

Of course any other good cases/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for your help to someone new into fountian pens.

Here's my suggestion ~ I really like the Pilot Somes three pen case. I expands vertically to accommodate tall pens. Should you have a large diameter pen, the dividers are attached inside on one side of the pen case so they "flex," still provide protection and even allow you to mix two large pens and one small pen - great flexibility. Yes they are expensive, but I have found, given the great variance in pen sizes, it gives me the flexibility to change out and re-arrange:

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/penroom/cabinet/japan_maker/sls3-01-bn_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8426747188_db5bf2e380.jpg

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/bunbougu-shibuya/cabinet/26/sls3-01.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I have one of the Onoto cases, and just about anything will fit in it including my Dani Trios. Not really pricy but the quality is just okay.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Wow, the pilot Somes is indeed a beautiful case :yikes:

I agree & even though I have more "cases" than I could ever use I gave a little "look see" on Ebay & then got brave enough to attempt a search on "j subculture" for same. AND after a bit of search FOUND them there! I was comparing the 2 pen case & the j subculture appears to be almost $30 cheaper. So for anyone else who is "lured" by these posts there are @ least a "range" of prices available for these nice cases.

Here's another idea for you that is leather of great quality and made for large pens. The Minerva Box rolls are very popular in Japan are inexpensive when you see the quality of the leather, the construction and versatility. You can simply put a pen in each pocket or even have other pen items like ink sample vials, etc. I got mine at a Maido store.

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/3df/cabinet/01304549/slip_on/ivl-6001-7.jpg

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/3df/cabinet/01304549/slip_on/ivl-6001-5.jpg

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/bunguya/cabinet/doc21/img10523929535.jpg

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/3df/cabinet/01304549/slip_on/ivl-6001-3.jpg

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Now the Pilot Somes looks as close to perfect as you get :wub: , Thanks for that.

I am no fan at all of wraps, just doe snot feel right to carry pens like that, but I knows, it's me....

If you can let me know the largest diameter in mm as well as full capped length, I could measure the interior of my Franklin Christoph Penvelope for you. From memory they have dimensions on their website though. This is a stiff-ish case.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/accessories.html

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

If you can let me know the largest diameter in mm as well as full capped length, I could measure the interior of my Franklin Christoph Penvelope for you. From memory they have dimensions on their website though. This is a stiff-ish case.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/accessories.html

Thanks. The Diameter at the barrel is 18mm (0.71in), but with the clip it is 22mm (0.87in), length is 145mm (5.71in). I am mainly concerned about getting the clip into the case as it is quite big compared to most other pens.

Looking at the measurements, I should be fine, except for the clip being the issue.

Edited by Pen_andy

Thanks. The Diameter at the barrel is 18mm (0.71in), but with the clip it is 22mm (0.87in), length is 145mm (5.71in). I am mainly concerned about getting the clip into the case as it is quite big compared to most other pens.

Looking at the measurements, I should be fine, except for the clip being the issue.

Length is easily ok, 18mm will be snug but not tight, clip would not be an issue as the pen loops that hold the barrel/clip in a penvelope sit inside another area where there is room for at least 7mm thickness of business cards, or small phone, and the clip can sit on top of the pen loop in this area.

Does the 18mm take into account the cap dia? If so, it'll be fine. It could take 2 of these sized pens.

The loops are stitched in a high quality non-stretchy fabric, so there is no velcro.

I'm measuring a 2 Penvelope case purchased this year in black saddleboot.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Have you considered a custom case there are a number of members here who make pen cases including myself

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/255117-making-a-pen-case/

I have made a number for oversize pens such as yours they also have a formed kydex (thermo plastic) core to add some extra protection.

please forgive the self promotion

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Never thought about custom... I have a solution (for now at least) in that my dad sent me an old MB pen case that he remembered having lying around - as you do. It fits my Visconti Homo sapiens together with the M800. I will keep the other suggetions saved and once I get another pen (surely there is no need for any... yeah right) and then re-assess in light of the new pen.

Thanks for all for your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Now the Pilot Somes looks as close to perfect as you get :wub: , Thanks for that.

I am no fan at all of wraps, just doe snot feel right to carry pens like that, but I knows, it's me....

AND I can NOW say that it is! I received mine this morning & having chosen the most expedient shipping it arrived in SEVEN days from Japan after I placed the order with J Subculture. I have probably a dozen "traditional" cases & 6 ( or "so"!) cases designed for cigars, which certainly have their merits over some of the cases by allowing ANY sized pen to be accommodated BUT there is NO way to describe the "Somes" case without seeing it "in the hand!" It looks truly TWICE as nice as ANY of my other cases & certainly affording the MOST protection for your pens than others. BUT the finish is easily the nicest of any I have.

I chose the "two pen size" because I find I don't need any more than that if leaving house yet it nicely allows both a Pilot 823 & Pelikan M800. IF you have a larger girthed pen than either (& I do) I found you cannot carry 2 similar pens @ once. Not a problem for me & I found a big "fat" Bexley Poseidon fit well with it's "roommate" a Targa (full size.) If you HAVE to have a Delta DV Oversize & your Edison Collier "together" you would need the 3 pen Somes & perhaps be lucky to add your third slimmer pen. BUT as the cigar cases allow the length of ANY pen there is not really suitable padding between said pens & the Somes allows great protection for each pen "inside" the case.

I chose the light colored finish & can imagine it acquiring a great look as it ages. The adjustable top closing "flap" that is secured by the belt secures the case even when the Edison Collier is in residence. It would be a perfect case for either pocket or bag & is pleasantly devoid of identifying logo or branding (only a "small box" appears @ the bottom of the reverse side stating: "PILOT "Looks just like WHAT it is........a beautiful leather case with OBVIOUS detail to finish & design." somes"

AND I received my first origami "swan, pheasant or Turkey?" inside the well padded cardboard shipping box. Japan has now spoiled me by being the "Eastern" or "Asian" version of Couronne de Comte's traditional "European" elegant shipping experience!