Exotic Pen Review: Russian Soyuz Unknown Model

butangmucat

This is the first of my two Soyuz pens which I found from eBay. For those who does not know anything about this brand, this is the best brand of the ex-USSR and some of them have a rather good performance. This comes as an 2nd hand pen and the seller says this pen has an 14K gold nib. This pen did not come with any packaging. Though the pen has a stainless steel finishing, it is light compared even to some Jinhao pens. The pen comes with no special decoration, but only a golden clip. The section is made out of plastic, and has a descent size which is comfortable enough to grip.

http://img.vim-cn.com/21/036b2fc30e11a9fb6404e0eea7b18b206d426a.jpg

Appearance & Design: 9

This pen has a plain stainless steel finishing and a gold clip. I personally like this kind of simple design as it looks serious enough for me to put into my shirt pocket for my prom and simple enough to be not noticed. However some people might expect more from a pen of this level.

Construction & Quality: 7

The quality of this pen is exactly how the Soviets used to treat all their products. The pen is durable as I can see from the barrel that it has successfully survived certain level of abuse and corrosion of time. However, the detail of this pen is not as good as I have expected. The details made the pen feel a bit cheap. Overall, this is a tough pen, but lacks some good detail processing.

Weight & Dimension: 9

This Soyuz is a rather big pen. Whether posted or unposted, it can stay safely in my hands. The section is also suitable for my rather big hands and writing with it for a long time will not be a big problem. Though this is a pen with steel finishing, it is only a bit heavier than a Platinum Plaisir and I like this weight. It makes field trips easier.

Nib & Performance: 6

http://img.vim-cn.com/5b/afbb6dc77b2be327c941e826a8fa1fd84fd8de.jpg

Sample written using Private Reserve American Blue Fast Dry

This Soyuz has a wet nib. Probably this pen was originally intended for officers to sign their names on files. Even with Private Reserve's fast dry ink, the nib still looks wet. The line is probably at least M or B. The nib has a rather good flexibility but when it flexes out too much, railroading starts to appear. There are some feedback but not unpleasant.

The nib is fine for writing Latin alphabets but when it encounters complex scripts (i.e. Chinese which is just below the Lipsum paragraph), it can get a bit hard to control. The main reason is that the nib is too wet and too broad for these scripts. It is a semi-hooded nib and I do not think a nib replacement today is possible.

Filling System & Maintenance: 3

This pen features a rotational piston filler which is detachable from the barrel. For some reason, the piston is very stiff and it requires quite some force to make it move up and down. It seems that the lubrication of ink helps a little and I might have to seriously consider the EEL series for this pen. The pen cannot be taken apart and this renders some maintenance like using silicon grace to lubricate the pistons impossible.

Cost & Value: 8

This pen is used and it is probably a vintage. I got this for less than 30 bucks and I think that it is acceptable. Thought the maintenance can be a bit painstaking, the overall performance of this pen really impressed me. This is my only 2nd hand pen so I am not discussing about its value compared to others but this one is one the pens that I might take with me on a travel or my prom.

This Soyuz is an interesting pen. Though old, it is still pretty durable and it is a pen that I will use in a field trip for note taking; it is also a pen that I will take to occasions like prom of ceremonies. To be honest, this might be one of my favorite pens. If you have a chance, you really should try one of this pens. You can expect rather good performance at a good price, and it will be a good choice as long as any other pen. My second Soyuz is an NOS and I will write a review when it arrives.

English is not my first language so if I made any language mistakes, please point them out, thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• butangmucat

• fromthecrowd

• graystranger

• grainweevil

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the review. I used the same pen while in Moscow University. The nib is indeed golden. This pen cost about 10 roubles in 1977. This is 90 portions of ice cream, or 77 loaves of bread or two bottles of vodka. It is nothing special and was sold in every stationary shop. I had no luck with Russian pens. Tried about three of them and swiched to Sheaffer and Parker.

Thank you for the review. I used the same pen while in Moscow University. The nib is indeed golden. This pen cost about 10 roubles in 1977. This is 90 portions of ice cream, or 77 loaves of bread or two bottles of vodka. It is nothing special and was sold in every stationary shop. I had no luck with Russian pens. Tried about three of them and swiched to Sheaffer and Parker.

I just want to know that is it a common problem for exceptionally tight pistons or it is simply that this pen is too old? Thanks.

New piston worked well. Had no problem with it. Must be the age. What bothered me was inconsistent ink flow. I remember dip trying pens in the shop, until the finer one was found. May be this persue of the fine nib was wrong policy with these pens.

Gr8 Review , thanks . If possible please post photo of piston

Likewise, on both counts.

I have a couple of Soyuz Parker 51-a-likes and rather like them. Steel nibs unfortunately, but a Parker nib will fit if one is inclined. Something about the USSR blatantly copying a pen from the USA appeals to my sense of humour, I think!

Gr8 Review , thanks . If possible please post photo of piston

Sorry that is all I can show you now because there is still plenty of ink inside.

http://img.vim-cn.com/5d/53abcec8e7fb1ef729dddf6b2e7419125ac2ac.jpg

Edited by butangmucat

Can the grip section be removed from the piston? If it can you might put a little silicone grease in the chamber wall with a cotton swab if the opening is wide enough. If the opening is too narrow, you might get a little silicone on a toothpick and put it on the chamber wall in several places. Running the piston up and down will distribute the silicone along the wall and along the pistol seal lubricating it. Of course you want it empty and rinsed out before you do this. If the piston is stiff I'm afraid it will wear quickly without some lubrication.

JUST NEVER GET ANY SILICONE ON THE NIB OR FEED!

The silicone included in TWSBI pens is more like a syrup, a thick fluid. It would spread easier than the thicker grease.

I think it is a nice looking pen. Thanks for the information and photos.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Can the grip section be removed from the piston? If it can you might put a little silicone grease in the chamber wall with a cotton swab if the opening is wide enough. If the opening is too narrow, you might get a little silicone on a toothpick and put it on the chamber wall in several places. Running the piston up and down will distribute the silicone along the wall and along the pistol seal lubricating it. Of course you want it empty and rinsed out before you do this. If the piston is stiff I'm afraid it will wear quickly without some lubrication.

JUST NEVER GET ANY SILICONE ON THE NIB OR FEED!

The silicone included in TWSBI pens is more like a syrup, a thick fluid. It would spread easier than the thicker grease.

I think it is a nice looking pen. Thanks for the information and photos.

There are demonstrations of other Soyuz pens (Parker 51 replicas) being taken apart but not this particular model. Maybe I still need some ink to lubricate this pen?