Dc Show

RonLyke

I'm considering attending the DC show this August. The dates are up on the website, but the other information (schedule, etc.) are from past years. I'm a show newbie; is the general public show only Sat. and Sun.?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GClef

• RonLyke

• PS104

• Hayseed Brown

Great 1st show to go to.

I believe unless you plan on getting a "trader pass", which is good for the entire 4 days of the show (Thursday-Sunday), it will be open to the general public Saturday & Sunday.

I had meant to go to the Philly show and didn't. So, now it's DC. It will be my first show and I'm looking to get a couple of nibs touched up and will also be looking for my first vintage pen(s).

I'm thinking about the DC show as well, but who in the world runs that website? It's an abomination. I mean, really, it keeps the stigma that fountain pen people are "in the dark" and are just relics of years gone by. It's honestly the most unprofessional site I've ever seen. I'm not looking for anything cutting-edge, but what a joke. And isn't this supposed to be one of the biggest fountain pen shows?

Just shaking my head.

I see on the Pencentral.com page (apparently the DC Supershow home page) that the show is August 13-16. On the DC Fountain Pen Supershow Facebook page, the following is posted:

Washington D.C. Collectible Fountain Pen SupershowThe Largest Pen Show in the World.Aug 16th, 17h (Preshow), 18th and 19th, 2015 Sheraton Premiere Tyson

Is this not the show's official page, or does the "organizer" not know when his show is occurring? (Wow, that sounds harsh.) I've heard so many great things about this show. I want to make hotel and airline reservations, but I don't know the dates. Does anyone know what's up?

Edited by RonLyke

I believe the 13th-16th are the correct dates. That would properly fall on Thurs-Sun. I'm not sure about the Facebook dates but they would seem erroneous.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I believe the 13th-16th are the correct dates. That would properly fall on Thurs-Sun. I'm not sure about the Facebook dates but they would seem erroneous.

Oh, man...if your dates are correct, I would be ecstatic!

I was telling the Mrs. I may have to skip the Supershow this year because it always seemed to happen on the 2nd weekend in August - and we were thinking about a christening that same Saturday!

I said, "Well, I'm just gonna have to see if I could get the organizers to change the dates, that's all." And, she's like, "Mm hmm...yeah, right."

¡Et voila!

I hope you're right, because she's gonna freak out when I tell her.

Edited by GClef

Wow. That seems a bit later than past years, regardless. Actually for me, it's awesome -- means that I don't take time off from my regular vacation the way I had to the past two years (for which I just checked the dates). That will make the people I go camping with happy -- I won't be bailing on them when it comes to breaking camp and doing cleanup.

Okay, well, two years ago I had to leave midweek to fly to the West Coast (family wedding), and then went to visit friends in Spokane for a few days. Flew back early to go to DCSS (husband stayed through the weekend and flew back the following week).

Nothing like doing your first pen show on zero sleep and a 5-hour drive. Nothing. Especially since it was DC (which I gather is one of the really big ones). I think I spent Saturday existing on caffeine and adrenaline. :rolleyes: Of course then crashed about 10:30 Saturday night.... I needed a semi-reasonable night's sleep since I was signed up for Richard Binder's class Sunday morning; I understand that he wanted to be at his table most of the day, but really -- 8:30 AM? On a Sunday? :gaah:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just got an e-mail from Mr. Johnson (the show organizer). He says, "August 13-16. Positively! Am correcting now and Thanks."

I'll see you all there.

Ron

I had so much fun there last year--my first pen show! The web site may not be great but the show itself was magical! I can't wait for August!

Honestly, I'm new to fountain pens, and that website makes me not want to go to this thing. I'm looking at it, and I have no idea what's going on. I know this is harsh, but are the clowns running this thing, or what? Maybe someone should link this thread to the organizer.

I had so much fun there last year--my first pen show! The web site may not be great but the show itself was magical! I can't wait for August!

No one is looking for a "great" website. Just looking for one that isn't complete and utter gibberish.

Totally agree with the criticism of the web site. It has more clutter than I do. Lose the "history". Who cares?

A great show (if you get there on the right dates)

Would help if a map could be embedded showing where the place is in stead of having to jump off the site to Google the address etc

Always try to get there on Saturday as by Sunday exhibitors are already packing up to leave

The show dates do seem later than normal, ie first week of August

But this can be easily verified by looking at the "history" on the web site.(hoisted by their own petard, so to speak)

I am tempted to go this year myself -- for once the Pen Show's dates don't correspond to those of GenCon, which I can't miss for professional reasons. OTOH, I'm not sure if I'll really want to pack up and head out for yet another trip in the summer.

Questions for past attendees:

1. Do major pen manufacturers (Parker, Sheaffer, Cross, Mont Blanc, Pilot, etc.) have display/sales booths at the show? I see a lot of mention of pen repair people, pen experts, and such, but little mention of manufacturers.

2. For someone like me, whose collecting tends to focus more on "modern" pens than on vintage/antique pens, is the show still worth attending? Or is it more focused on older pens?

Thanx!

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

I'm thinking about the DC show as well, but who in the world runs that website? It's an abomination. I mean, really, it keeps the stigma that fountain pen people are "in the dark" and are just relics of years gone by. It's honestly the most unprofessional site I've ever seen. I'm not looking for anything cutting-edge, but what a joke. And isn't this supposed to be one of the biggest fountain pen shows?

Just shaking my head.

Absolutely, totally agree. I'm sending you 10,000 karma points. Really, I can't better express how much you're right about this.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Mobile%20Uploads/Picture0414152250_1.jpg

I am tempted to go this year myself -- for once the Pen Show's dates don't correspond to those of GenCon, which I can't miss for professional reasons. OTOH, I'm not sure if I'll really want to pack up and head out for yet another trip in the summer.

Questions for past attendees:

1. Do major pen manufacturers (Parker, Sheaffer, Cross, Mont Blanc, Pilot, etc.) have display/sales booths at the show? I see a lot of mention of pen repair people, pen experts, and such, but little mention of manufacturers.

2. For someone like me, whose collecting tends to focus more on "modern" pens than on vintage/antique pens, is the show still worth attending? Or is it more focused on older pens?

Thanx!

To answer your questions, some manufacturers (small ones) go. Wahl-Eversharp, Classic Pens, Edison Pen, Oscar Peterson, etc. and some small German companies show up and have booths. Most of the space is taken up by pen retailers, such as Fountain Pen Hospital, Goulet Pens, Richards Pens (Richard Binder), etc. And then there are the tables of vintage pen sellers.

There really is enough for everybody and everything. It's about half and half modern and vintage.

I find it's really worthwhile. It's good to meet people and get to put faces to names.

I usually try to go on Fridays and then return on Saturday. That means getting the "dealer" ticket, but it's worth it.

So - do come!

Erick

Edited by langere

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Question: If you come in on the Metro, can you walk to the place where they are having the show or do you need to take a cab or bus. I might well be in DC on the date. I would love to go.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Question: If you come in on the Metro, can you walk to the place where they are having the show or do you need to take a cab or bus. I might well be in DC on the date. I would love to go.

Yes, the Sheraton is within walking distance from the Spring Hill Station on the Silver Line.

It's just an 8-minute hike.

Edited by GClef

Do exhibitors pack up early Sunday? I was planning to arrive late Friday and leave late Sunday, but if Sunday isn't really an all day show, maybe I'll get there late Thursday & leave late Saturday. Is Friday a good day to visit?

Does anyone know the price of the trader pass?