Estie Nib ?

JotterAddict62

Greetings Esterbook fans;

What is the most sought after nib [ number ] for the J pens ?

Thanks to all that respond.

A Parker fan.

Always on the lookout.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• OcalaFlGuy

• inkstainedruth

• redbike

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to know also. But more than what everybody wants is the one that works for me.

Pop Tarts and gravy, It's whats for breakfast.

The most expensive one, around $100 I think is the Superfine mapping nib and I'd guess you wouldn't want to write with that.

Then I'd say;

1314 Flexible Stub, I think Anderson's gets $75 When they have them

2312 Italic Medium

9048 Fine Flex

9128 EF Flex

9788 Med Flex

9284 Stub

There are some Gold plated 3xxx Sunburst nibs too I think that are close to unobtanium.

Those are the ones I know of.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Well, define "most sought after". Is it for regular use, or "just to have"?

For regular use, I'd say the 9668 Medium is probably the one that sets the bar. As far as price and being able to get one, then Bruce has a pretty good list. I would add any of the frosted 9xxx nibs to that list, and maybe the 9314-X nibs. I also see a lot of interest in the broad nibs, like the 9968.

I've got a frosted 9550 (well, it's coming), and I went and got a NOS 3668 nib not too long ago.

My favorite for regular use is a 9556 I write quickly so the more specialized nibs don't work well for me.

I think Bruce has nailed it pretty well. I certainly still would like to get a 9048 and a 9284, but haven't been willing to spring for the prices I've seen on the Bay of Evil. And wasn't all that happy at my first pen show when three separate nibmeisters took a look at a borked 9128 nib I had tried to straighten out myself (I had gotten greedy and not looked at the seller's photos closely enough) and told me to just toss it and get another one. Fortunately, my final stop was at Mike Masuyama's table, and he cleaned up my hack job pretty well, because I was not looking forward to the prospect of paying more than double what I'd paid for the pen, just to get a replacement nib....

I might add a 6xxx series nib to that list. I think that was one that even Brian Anderson had never seen before, from a thread from a couple of years ago.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You have to be diligent, and watch for the details. I've come across some of these nibs and obtained them pretty reasonably. I got the 9128 (which I didn't care for) that I had when I noticed a listing for a 9668 (including the box) showed that the nib itself was the 9128. There are times when having nothing better to do pays off.

Hmmm. That could've started a new thread: "New High for a Renew Point?"

Without that cool display box, even.

post-242-0-45670600-1428624980_thumb.jpg

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Yowza! That nib cost that much? Okay, it looks nice, and it's definitely not your average width, but stilll....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow, I have one of those. I had no idea it was worth that sort of price. I've also got a couple of the 3XXX sunburst nibs. I bought a lot of new, old stock Estie nibs years ago when they cost around 5 bucks. Perhaps I should think about cashing some of them in. The prices I'm seeing don't seem sustainable.

Perhaps I should think about cashing some of them in. The prices I'm seeing don't seem sustainable.

You're right.

The prices will probably Still climb.

Last I knew $150 got you the little glass case for the 8440 in addition to the nib.

Apparently, not anymore it doesn't...

Pure C-Worder fodder. I'd no more use a Superfine Estie nib than a Superfine anything else nib. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl