Cheap, 'boring' Pen. Need Recs.

Sailor Kenshin

Never mind why I need these, lol. I just do. Uhm...science experiments. Yeah. Let's go with that!

I am hoping to get recommendations for readily available a pen under $20 that takes standard international cartridges, is NOT made of metal, and is a wet writer. Slim pens don't suit me either.

I am absolutely, definitely, moving away from metal-bodied pens and will be doing a couple of PIFs in a while.

I already own a Kaweco Sport and four Nemosine Singularities. The Nemos fit the bill but write dry and need fiddling. There's my Rotring Core...wouldn't mind another (XL this time), but the prices have gone through the roof.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• dcwaites

• Ian the Jock

• Manalto

I'm curious about this too, and waiting to hear recommendations. Would you consider Chinese pens? I've bought a few Baoers and they are wet writers (but metal body).

James

I'm curious about this too, and waiting to hear recommendations. Would you consider Chinese pens? I've bought a few Baoers and they are wet writers (but metal body).

Will cheerfully consider any non-metal-bodied pen!

I have two Baoers. You're right, nicely wet writers, but both are metal-bodied, and one will soon be PIF.

Pilot 78G?

Edit: Sorry, forgot the part about standard international cartridges.

Edited by scully012

Pilot 78G?

Edit: Sorry, forgot the part about standard international cartridges.

I have four of them...wonderful writers. Thanks for the rec, but you're right, they take only Pilot carts.

As the prices for the Rotring Core have risen quite dramatically as you say, you might consider the Rotring Primus - although it has a wood barrel - at least it's not metal. It's got the same unusual grip section.

The Rotring Rivette surfaces on the cheap on eBay from time to time and is also a good pen.

Another choice is the Pelikano Jr. and the Pelikan Twist (although the shape and colors of the Twist are not for everyone!).

Most of these are kids pens, and they might not be your cup of tea.

The Schneider Base is also a good model, but they tend to be rather dry in my experience.

Good luck.

As the prices for the Rotring Core have risen quite dramatically as you say, you might consider the Rotring Primus - although it has a wood barrel - at least it's not metal. It's got the same unusual grip section.

The Rotring Rivette surfaces on the cheap on eBay from time to time and is also a good pen.

Another choice is the Pelikano Jr. and the Pelikan Twist (although the shape and colors of the Twist are not for everyone!).

Most of these are kids pens, and they might not be your cup of tea.

The Schneider Base is also a good model, but they tend to be rather dry in my experience.

Good luck.

I do have Pelikanos! And I was surprised to find that most standard international carts don't fit. Thanks for the other recommendations. I'd never heard of the Primus.

I'm interested to know why you don't like metal-bodied pens?

I'm not disagreeing with you, quite the opposite in fact. I hate the things too.

My reasons are that they are non-traditional, wear poorly if painted, and dent easily.

I'm not really talking about 'flighter' type pens here, just those pens that look plastic but are actually metal.

Edited by Jamesbeat

I'm interested to know why you don't like metal-bodied pens?

I'm not disagreeing with you, quite the opposite in fact. I hate the things too.

My reasons are that they are non-traditional, wear poorly if painted, and dent easily.

I'm not really talking about 'flighter' type pens here, just those pens that look plastic but are actually metal.

For me, they are too heavy, too cold in the hand, and ultimately make my achy hands hurt more.

Edited because I'm a dope and didn't see that you wanted international cartridges.

Edited by ElaineB

What about the Jinhao 599s.

I think they take international carts, are all plastic, and are nice and wet.

All sorts of colours available too.

I'm personally not a fan, as I like metal bodied (heavier) pens but they would fit the bill.

Ian

Edited because I'm a dope and didn't see that you wanted international cartridges.

No....never a dope....but now you have me curious. :D

I second the 599's. Decent pens, even better at a buck or two. Colors to help you keep track of which pen has which ink. Carry well in a pocket. Good give-away pens as they are well-behaved for newbies/kids.

I like the Rotring Rivette someone mentioned above. I use one at work with red ink for markups and would get another one or two but I haven't seen any at a decent price in a while.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

What about some Indian pens? Usually they're not metal, and there are some CC pens there for under $20. Okay, so shipping will be a bit expensive, but if you buy everything you need in one go, it shouldn't be too horrible.

Serwex seems to have some that fit your criteria, available via Fountain Pen Revolution. There are other pens there, too.

Proprietary cartridges and all...Pilot Lucina in medium, from Japan, about 42USD. Smooth, wet, reliable, underrated!!! Buy a box of Pilot carts and fill 'em with your fave ink...reuse, recycle, relove.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Proprietary cartridges and all...Pilot Lucina in medium, from Japan, about 42USD. Smooth, wet, reliable, underrated!!! Buy a box of Pilot carts and fill 'em with your fave ink...reuse, recycle, relove.

Twice my price point, and I need international carts. There's a reason. But thanks for the suggestion.

Waterman Kultur?

Since it's no longer made, the price you pay may vary a lot, so I can't guarantee under $20, but a couple of years ago I got one in an unopened blister pack for $17 including shipping. Comes in a number of translucent colors, but you can get one in clear, which meets the boring requirement. :) And it writes quite well, although I haven't used mine in a while.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

What about the BIC XPen fountain pen, aka the Stypen? They're plastic bodied; the plain gray ones are less than $10, use standard international cartridges and have a medium steel nib.

I got several from Canada a few years back. They write okay and they're cheap so I don't fret about carrying one everywhere.

I seem to recall you're in the SF Bay Area? If yes, drop me a PM. I have way too many cheap cartridge pens, donating one to Science (or Art) would be fun.