I Want To Buy A Nice Writing Desk - What To Consider?

Shangas

Why not go back to the roll top desk option the Tambour (roller mechanism) can be repaired easily it is quite a simple mechanism

We might have to teach lionheartlee how to make a key :)

Michael that's all thanks to YOU that I got the gumption up to try and make my own key!! (Thanks, btw!)

If I buy a desk which requires locking up, I shall definitely like to look into making a key for it if it doesn't come with one! I wonder how hard they are?

Still doing a lot of thinking about this.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shangas

• my63

• lionheartlee

• webgeckos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Based on the needs you mention, I would get a roll top desk. A secretary desk doesn't provide room for anything more that letter, stationery, and bills, and it won't accommodate a computer for your emails. A pedestal desk will give you more space, but since you're concerned about your room size and the potential messiness of the desk, it doesn't seem to be the option for you. The roll top desk seems like your best option. It should provide a large enough work area for your work

This desk that I want to buy won't be used for a computer. I don't intend it for that purpose **at all**, so I don't think that's an issue.

I'm still tossing up between a rolltop and a drop-front. I can see benefits and drawbacks to both.

What Attracts me to the Rolltop/Drop-Front:

- Style

- Size (depending on internal arrangements, drop-fronts will give you half as much again, in terms of desktop space).

- Storage

- Ability to cover things up.

On top of that, I think having a desk like that with a finite amount of storage-space will encourage me to keep it neater and cleaner.

What Worries me about the Rolltop/Drop-Front:

- Surface-space (with the drop-front, dependent on style).
- Structural integrity (with the roller-top).

The only type of pedestal desk I would probably consider is a typewriter desk. Like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hvUgLTILEVE/TQGvgJR_mXI/AAAAAAAATS4/EeyWthZb6PI/s1600/DeskTypewriterOak.jpg

Problem is, they're not easy to find.

Rollertop desks and drop-front are just so much more common. The typewriter pedestal interests me because of the pull-out slides and the drop-front for the typewriter (where I can stuff extra junk that I don't need all the time). But finding one will be nigh impossible.

It's a lot to consider. Because whatever I buy, I don't want to need to change it again in another 10, 15 years...

Based on the needs you mention, I would get a roll top desk. A secretary desk doesn't provide room for anything more that letter, stationery, and bills, and it won't accommodate a computer for your emails. A pedestal desk will give you more space, but since you're concerned about your room size and the potential messiness of the desk, it doesn't seem to be the option for you. The roll top desk seems like your best option. It should provide a large enough area for your work, while also providing more storage. Also, you can lower the roller to hide a messy desk rather than organize it. If you're willing to entertain an additional option, I recommend a teacher's desk, which is really a slightly smaller version of a pedestal desk. (I have one and love it, but I must have a large work area.) It will give you the storage you desire and provide you with a large work space as well. For writing, researching, using books and a laptop, I find a secretary or roll top too small. If you're concerned about a larger desk without a covering getting messy then organize it every so often, but in the long run I think a larger desk is more versatile. Let us know what you decide.

I have two possibilities for my writing desk. The first is the large bookcase/writing desk that has been sitting in the corner gathering dust for ten years. The smaller writing desk has been in the storage area for about the same time. I put some items in it to give some idea of scale.

The bookcase has far more storage area, but a smaller writing surface.

post-118436-0-45220600-1428538927_thumb.jpg

post-118436-0-70288700-1428538937_thumb.jpg

I have a desk like that, but without the typewriter compartment. I've seen them on Craigslist quite often. You might want to consider one without a typewriter space. If you find yourself needing more storage, consider a file cabinet or other another storage option.

This us the desk I bought after being inspired by this thread.

Very nice Lionheartlee!!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I will always prefer the roll top in style & recently admired one with great original finish that was probably 75 year's old & seemed quite "functional" as far as the "top." Luckily it sold so I wasn't forced to acknowledge "my Mother knowing best" when/if the top stopped working. BUT I was awfully glad to see it leave & remove the temptation.

I have a slant top (unfortunately without the addition of the secretary top) that belonged to my Grandmother. I have NEVER "used" it as I just don't like the way you must clear the surface area before folding the top to the "closed" position. It has a really good "look" but when it first "came to me" I found that feature bothersome & hence it has always just taken up space in my living room.

I USE my Mother's old office desk which is similar to the one you pictured with the typewriter "space" except mine is provided with a pull out shelf to the left of the knee hole. It offers the ability of affixing the typewriter to the shelf & it is then "folded" away into a closed compartment after a "false front" door is closed. The right hand side of the knee hole is a series of four drawers with another drawer atop the knee hole opening. It is very large (63 inches wide & 35 inches deep) but extremely functional. My Mother brought it home when she closed her office & it had been her desk since the1940's. It has been refinished which resulted in a cleaner finish but is nothing remarkable in appearance. I have the" insert" from a roll top sitting along the back of the desk to provide the "cubby holes," small drawers & additional storage that is easy to access. I found it some time ago & feel sure it was probably the "remains" from a roll top that had "failed" (& therefore been "scrapped.") I saw one similar this week for sale in another antique mall so they are available with search.

I think if you could overcome the "looks" of the office desk & find one with the typewriter space "to the side" instead of usurping your desk top space you might enjoy it.

BUT if securing your "desk top" (out of sight out of mind) it would offer no attraction. I have enjoyed spreading things about & have no interest in concealing them from myself so it works fine for me.

@JKelly the smaller of the two desks that you posted, does it have a key for the locking mech? It looks similar to the desk I just purchased.

Edited by lionheartlee

Very nice Lionheartlee!!

Thank you! I'm quite fond of it. Once my writing/reading room is complete I will start a thread to give you a glimpse of my world.

I've had all three types of desks in OP's initial post. I loved the "idea" of a roll top desk...the roll top jammed half way down (or up) within the first year and really never did work very well...and, believe me, it was not a cheap desk. With the drop front secretary, there was never enough desk space or leg room.

I have a regular pedestal desk now and I'm very happy with it. I keep the computer et al on a computer desk on another wall.

However, like another member commented, no matter what size desk you purchase it will never be big enough. Stuff multiplies logrhythmically.

Michael that's all thanks to YOU that I got the gumption up to try and make my own key!! (Thanks, btw!)

If I buy a desk which requires locking up, I shall definitely like to look into making a key for it if it doesn't come with one! I wonder how hard they are?

Still doing a lot of thinking about this.

Thanks Shangas

You have made a key for a single lever lock the more complex locks simply have more levers in them so you need to cut one section at a time.

Roller desk doors are simply slats of wood with strips of canvas stuck to the back of them usually with hide glue, if one slat comes loose from either end it stops working.there is usually one screw at the end fixing it in place.

If you do get one and decide to replace the canvas it must be exactly the same length, and be careful only to glue the canvas to the slats and not glue the slats together as tha will also stop the tambour from working.

I hope this helps there are lots on eBay here but they won't fit int your bag like a box

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Christ! So many things to think about! Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I haven't even told my dad all about this yet.

And I have to, because I need someone to help me lug whatever the hell it is I end up buying. And I don't drive.

This is my secretary desk, which I love! It's tall, about 75", but only has a 17"x29" footprint when folded up. post-118810-0-58819100-1428563842_thumb.jpg

Debbie

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

If I am going to get a pedestal desk, then I think the type I want is something like this:

http://www.antiquesmart.co.uk/photos/wishbarn_antiques_rye_antique_oak_pedestal_desk_c1919_2.jpg

I like the option of the two slide-in shelves on the side. And a draw in the middle would be a nice bonus (although not necessary).

My only gripe with desks like these is that usually, one of the drawers in the legs is a filing-drawer, which I really don't have *that* much use for. I dunno. We'll see.

Spoken to my dad and got him on-side about what I'm after. We'll make a trip to some of the local secondhand furniture shops & antiques stores this weekend, and see if we can find anything that we like and can afford.

Then comes the issue of: "How the hell do we move it?" But we'll cross that bridge when/if we get to it.

I've made measurements of the room, and my current desks, and most importantly - DOORWAYS!!...To see what's the largest desk I can comfortably fit in my room. I'm limited by 32 inches / 80cm. This is the entrance into my room.

Most desks I've seen (even antique ones) seem to be between 70-80cm high (approx 28-32in).

We'll see how it works out!!

You'll be surprised how much maneuvering can make a large desk fit through a narrow space. Turning the desk on its sides and twisting as it push it in could make larger desk options available to you. Also, the teachers/typewriter desk you pictured usually come with the slide out tables you admired. I find them extremely useful!

Edited by Poetman