Focus: Asa - Ican, Galactic, Heritage And Gama - Himalaya

arunura

So its been a while since I did anything on FPN. However its just been 2 days since my last purchase. Yes, I love fountain pens and with asapens.in (Subbu) in the FP community there are a lot of wonderful pens to select from. I shall probably do a more detailed post later for now I shall post a bunch of pics that I took (hastily), while explaining a bit about each of the pens under focus. I sincerely apologize for any shabby pictures.

ASA Heritage: [Purchased from http://asapens.in]
A few weeks ago my wife placed an order with asapens.in for a large pen. Subbu suggested us to try out his new design. I think this pen will be listed soon on his website. He sent a few pictures over and we decided to go for it with a Jowo-B nib. Below are a few pics of the heritage.
post-108539-0-52146100-1428127730_thumb.jpg
As compared to GAMA Hawk.
post-108539-0-87881900-1428127697_thumb.jpg
Check out the chunky section of Heritage as compared to the (relatively) puny section of Hawk. I hold the pen just below the threads and I just love the balance I get. However, for the sake of reviewing I tried holding the section close to the nib and found that the pen is a little top heavy, but for that one really has to hold it close to the nib (way down the section). If you're like me and hold the pen higher up, then you'll love the way this pen sits on your hand. This pen is slightly larger than GAMA-Himalaya(? Hope I got the name right). Interestingly, the sections of both these pens weigh the same. However, the barrel of Heritage is more heavier than that of Himalaya. Advantage? It does sit on the webbing between my index and thumb more securely. Disadvantage? It does become a little top heavy if you hold the pen closer (really close) to the nib. Observe that the Jowo-B nib is a few mm longer than the IPG on Hawk. It could be compared to the Lyle Ross Pompei http://www.pensbylyleross.com/pompey-4-cosmic-silver.html, for me just by looks the ASA Heritage wins. Note that they both come with Jowo#6.
post-108539-0-57500400-1428127702_thumb.jpg
More perspective. More similarity.
post-108539-0-71373800-1428127706_thumb.jpg
My top three ebonite pens (Top to Bottom): GAMA Masterpiece (Purchased from Gem and Co. Chennai),
GAMA/ASA Himalaya (Purchased from http://asapens.in) and ASA Heritage (Purchased from http://asapens.in).
post-108539-0-46067000-1428127711_thumb.jpg
Uncapped: Check out the ambitious 40mm. You could stab some one with it. This pen is atleast
as mighty as a small dagger.
post-108539-0-13053600-1428127716_thumb.jpg

Top to Bottom: ASA Galactic, Heritage and I-Can. Personally, I don't like the names but... what is in a name right?
post-108539-0-37257000-1428133516_thumb.jpg

Uncapped: I love the concave section of I-can. Personally it is a little skinny for me. But
my wife uses this pen and simply adores it. This is her daily user. The I-can and galactic are her daily carry pens (for now). Right now the i-can is inked up. Last week the Galactic was inked up with purple ink.
post-108539-0-92172600-1428133520_thumb.jpg

The section of Galactic. Personally, I think the nib is set too deep. I just cannot write with this pen. I fatigue easily. But my wife says exactly the opposite. All said, the bock is just a wonderfully wet writer. I feel the bock is more wetter than the corresponding Jowo. I love 'em both though.
post-108539-0-07765700-1428127754_thumb.jpg
post-108539-0-92638700-1428127771_thumb.jpg

The pen is stained purple. But I think it is kind of a cool look.
post-108539-0-41094200-1428127776_thumb.jpg
post-108539-0-53231200-1428127780_thumb.jpg

Asa Galactic: [Purchased from http://asapens.in] The Franklin Christoph of India? We certainly believe so. I hope ASA flourishes internationally. This pen looks lovely. (In my wife's opinion) this pen is wonderfully smooth (thanks to the wet bock broad nib), it is well balanced. She feels that the nib is a little skinny for the pen but nevertheless it performs upto her expectations.

post-108539-0-76280100-1428127794_thumb.jpg

post-108539-0-65335400-1428127799_thumb.jpg

As compared to the GAMA demonstrator. The Gama is slightly larger than the Galactic. However the section tapers a bit more.

post-108539-0-93429300-1428127803_thumb.jpg

ASA I-Can [Purchased from http://asapens.in] Let me get this out of the way. I hate the name, abhor it.

The name is not even half as cool as the pen. This pen is an absolute beauty. True, the design is classic from a bygone era (may be). But, we all love it. I don't understand why more pens do not have this section design. This is truly a writer's pen. Enough said, buy it and you won't regret it one bit.

post-108539-0-10211900-1428127814_thumb.jpg

Check out the concave section, Deccan Advocate comes to mind does it not:

post-108539-0-11871500-1428127818_thumb.jpg

post-108539-0-42667600-1428127822_thumb.jpg

ASA Heritage... just one more picture:

post-108539-0-43552900-1428127836_thumb.jpg

ASA Heritage in the fore and I-can at the back:

post-108539-0-55487600-1428127840_thumb.jpg

I love the side view of the Jowo nib/feed unit:

post-108539-0-73412600-1428127844_thumb.jpg

Top to bottom: ASA I-can, ASA Heritage, GAMA Himalaya and Deccan Advocate. Personally I hate most of the Deccan pens. But the Advocate, is pure bliss to use. If you look closely at the picture you know it is beat. This is the only Deccan pen I won't hesitate to replace if anything were to happen to this one. I know a lot of people love Deccan pens, it just never worked for me (other than the Advocate ofcourse). Peace out.

post-108539-0-62366900-1428127857_thumb.jpg

More pics of the same.

post-108539-0-85193600-1428127861_thumb.jpg

My Deccan Advocate and GAMA Himalaya are beat, perpetually inked:

post-108539-0-01591300-1428127866_thumb.jpg

A few writing samples, these are my wifes handwring:

post-108539-0-99813500-1428127880_thumb.jpg

post-108539-0-26131000-1428127885_thumb.jpg

post-108539-0-23127500-1428127889_thumb.jpg

Personally I prefer the Jowo 1.1 when I just scribbling stuff (rough calculations). For me, it feels more stable.

Mr. Subbu from http://asapens.in is doing us all a great service by producing these wonderful pens. Me and my wife are supporters and wish him all the best. Sometimes I wish Mr Prataph of Gem&Co. were as enterprising too. Kudos to these wonderful people who keep the art of making fountain pens in India alive.

Hmmm... What will be our next purchase.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arunura

• mcgeechan

• mehandiratta

• rkpai

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well written review with well taken pictures!!

I have all the pens mentioned in this review except for the ASA Heritage.

I have been eyeing the ASA Heritage for a few weeks and will be getting it with the Ambitious 40mm nib.

Enjoy your pens :)

Regards
Rakshit

Well written review with well taken pictures!!

I have all the pens mentioned in this review except for the ASA Heritage.

I have been eyeing the ASA Heritage for a few weeks and will be getting it with the Ambitious 40mm nib.

Enjoy your pens :)

Regards

Rakshit

Thanks. They truly are wonderful writers are they not? I do love my Ambitious nib it gives a nice medium width. Go for it.

Cheers.

Thank you for the nice reviews.

I had tried to get the ASA Galactic, but its was out of stock, but I hear it should be back in stock soon *crosses fingers*

To make up for the lack of the Galactic, I bought their last Oliver F27.

Congratulations, I love my F27s. Great writers thanks to that Schmidt nib and they are beautiful, too.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thank you for the nice reviews.

I had tried to get the ASA Galactic, but its was out of stock, but I hear it should be back in stock soon *crosses fingers*

To make up for the lack of the Galactic, I bought their last Oliver F27.

Congratulations on your Oliver. The acrylic is beautiful. Hope you get your Galactic. You might want to give instructions regarding how deep you want your nib set. Personally I feel that the nib is set too deep and I have no equipment to set it right.

If you don't mind, what kind of paper are you using

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

If you don't mind, what kind of paper are you using

Hi. I don't mind at all. These are 80gsm sheets. I do not recall the brand though.

Galactic got ordered yesterday as they are back in stock, still waiting on my Green and black F27 to arrive but the Neon yellow/green one has arrived, I filled it with R&K Alt Goldgrun and drained the converter in 2 days I was writing so much with it as it was gorgeous.

Galactic got ordered yesterday as they are back in stock, still waiting on my Green and black F27 to arrive but the Neon yellow/green one has arrived, I filled it with R&K Alt Goldgrun and drained the converter in 2 days I was writing so much with it as it was gorgeous.

Hurray. Enjoy your wonderful pens.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I recently let go of my ASA Heritage in order to consolidate the size of my ever increasing pen collection. Prior to handing them over to their new owners, I decided to get a few pictures taken and I thought of sharing them here with the group.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Fountain%20pen%20pictures/IMGP2258_zpsacqksc4s.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Fountain%20pen%20pictures/IMGP2259_zps37ul0q8r.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Fountain%20pen%20pictures/IMGP2260_zpsm5z5d0jm.jpg

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

• 2 weeks later...

Arunura,

you've created a useful and funny summary of the characteristics of many great pens. Thank you for the craft and creativity you invested in this. The section on that Heritage is a whopper! I agree with you on the name of the I Can. Mr. Subramaniam sold me one, but it's in the modified form of a beautiful (and beautifully named) Azaadi -- and I also agree with you on the section, which is extremely comfortable.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/309637-review-of-the-asa-azaadi-in-opal/

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers