The Northern Pen Show, Chester - Sunday 19Th April 2015

Stephenthebear

Trying to free up my life to be able to get to this

Will many people from here be attending?

Having never been to a show, will I find many modern Japanese pens around (my particular interest)?

I see lots of content related to Parkers, Shaeffers etc and pen turners/makers but not a lot about my beloved Nakaya, Pilot and Platinum pens.

Regards,

Bear

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david6

• da vinci

• pavoni

• AJ50

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I am sure you will enjoy the show, they are great fun and you will be amazed at what you will see and learn.

Plenty of modern pens, loads of vintage but you may have to search for modern Japanese, don't let that put you off. The Northern show is the friendliest of them all and well attended.

Edited by Beechwood

I havent been to the Chester show but I do go to the London, Bristol and Lichfield shows regularly each year.

Like Beechwood I throughly recommend them. You will get to broaden your horizons a bit!

Sarj usually has high end Japanese pens, but only a few. Not sure about the run of the mill (in the nicest possible way) models.

Hi Stephenthebear,

I second that said by both Beechwood and da vinci.

Pen shows are to be recommended and are a great way of striking up relationships with the regular Sellers. You will also be able to put (real) names and faces to some of the FPN name-tags you come across here, though our foreign cousins naturally go to the excellent London show. Some shows provide name labels at the entrance which should enable you to spot a fellow FPNer.

The Northern is one of the bigger shows, so plenty of Sellers and well attended and as such, you will find a good spread of pens from vintage to modern. I am sure you will even find some modern Japanese pens.

Please note, if you are buying, you will need cash. :yikes: Curiously, not many Sellers take plastic, so cash is king. There are however plenty of cashpoints in Chester (as I was last told by a Seller unprepared to budge on an overpriced Conway Stewart 100 -_-).

Hope to see you there. If you think 'American President', you will easily spot me ;)

Pavoni.

Other than for a previous London show, I haven't seen a list of sellers for a show before.

Fellow FPNer ianpw is one of the organisers and so you might want to contact him to see if he is aware of who is attending as a seller. One tends to find the same regular guys from show to show, with more foreign sellers at the larger events.

Having missed the London event last year, I am really looking forward to the Northern.

Pavoni.

The Northern Show is in a new location - I think this is its second year in Chester. I missed last year but looking forward to attending this year.

Where in Chester?

Last year which I went to, was at a hotel opposite the train station.

That's a good question. I'm going to be driving up from London so I need to find out exactly where the show is and where to park.

Anyone know what the parking is like for this show?

That's a good question. I'm going to be driving up from London so I need to find out exactly where the show is and where to park.

Anyone know what the parking is like for this show?

If it is at the same place as last year, there was easy and plenty parking in the train car park.

Just looked up the location of the show which is: Doubletree by Hikton, Warrington Road, Hoole, Chester, CH2 3PD. It looks like an old country estate so there 'should' be plenty of parking on site, though probably very expensive.

The Northern Pen Show is at a different venue this year. Doubletree Hilton Hotel, Warrington Road, Hoole, Chester CH2 3PD. I have no idea what the parking situation is. I will be there manning the Worcester Pen Company table, come and say hello and have a chat about pens.

<span style='font-family: Verdana'>Do not worry keep going.</span><a href='http://www.worcesterpencompany.co.uk' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>My website</a>

Whoops you beat me to it David. Look forward to seeing you next Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing you again and browsing some more of the wonderful looking pens you bring along. Your Worcester Neptune ball pen looks very interesting and I look forward to seeing what colours and trim you have it in.

I'm planning on being there. Looking forward to meeting all the usual suspects and maybe a few new ones.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

I'll be turning up for a nosey around, staying down Wrexham direction for a weekend away with the wife and doubling it up with the show visit. Really hoping there's someone attending that'll be doing nib work.

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

I'll be turning up for a nosey around, staying down Wrexham direction for a weekend away with the wife and doubling it up with the show visit. Really hoping there's someone attending that'll be doing nib work.

John (Oxonian) should be there to work on our nibs for us.

Just found out I'm going. Glad they have changed the venue. It was very dark in the pen hall last year and you couldn't see the pens very well. Not a patch on Lytham. None of those delicious home baked biscuits and the coffee was not up to par.

John (Oxonian) should be there to work on our nibs for us.

Excellent, I've got a Home Sapiens that needs a spot of work to take it off of my 'annoying me' list :)

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly