P75 Sterling Silver Cisele

mitto

Although I love my 51s I strongly believe that the 75 was the best pen Parker ever made. The length of time it was available speaks volumes.

I could argue the 75 was proof Parker learned something with the "improvement" fiasco of the P-51 (read C/C).

All they did when they "redid" the 2nd version of the 75 was to (arguably) clean the aesthetics up a bit. They really didn't mess

with the pens workings very much. Don't fix something that isn't broken.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Manalto

• Matlock

• prf5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could argue the 75 was proof Parker learned something with the "improvement" fiasco of the P-51 (read C/C).

All they did when they "redid" the 2nd version of the 75 was to (arguably) clean the aesthetics up a bit. They really didn't mess

with the pens workings very much. Don't fix something that isn't broken.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I can't argue with that Bruce.

Peter

Mitto, I found the following information on Richard Conner's web site (http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/parker.75.html) and, because it contradicts some of the information above in this thread, I thought you would find these excerpts interesting. I've copied the wording exactly, complete with misspelling. This is my first encounter with the Penspotting site, so this is not offered as an endorsement, nor is it meant to dispute information already exchanged; it's merely to present another version of the details. Incidentally, just a few moments ago I got myself a Parker 75 sterling silver "grid" (see below) on eBay, inspired by yours.

Here are the excerpts:

"P75s were eventually offered in a wide variety of finishes, but the one most closely connected with the model is the sterling-silver grid pattern. Originally, the grid was finished in a black enamel to bring out the color of the squares, but later the lacquer was omitted; the natural tarnishing of the sliver made it somewhat redundant. You'll hear this pattern called "ciselé" by Parker publicists and some collectors, and this is the correct nomenclature for the later French-made models, but "grid" is really the correct term for the first US-made pens. Those earliest pens are also known as "flat tops" because they do not have the small dishes or indentations in the ends that were found on most of the production (allegedly, the "dish" was added to promote the 75 as a gift pen to which corporate logotypes or other insignia could be attached)...

"Parker found early on that its strongest sales for the 75 fountain pen were often outside the US. In the 1970s, Parker built a 75 production line in Meru, France, where special lacquered and epoxy-matté variants of the 75 were made. Eventually, by the end of the 1980s, all 75 production was moved to France, and exotic new precious metal finishes were offered in addition to the perennial sterling grid model. In the 1980s, a new feed and point design (using 18k gold rather than 14k) was introduced, necessitating the redisgn of the section to all but eliminate the triangular grip contour. This design change rendered the adjustable point (and all the ergonomics research behind it) rather moot. When the 75 was phased out in in the mid-1990s, it was replaced by the Meru-made Sonnet model (which is still in production at this writing, and is also offered in a sterling grid model)."

Edited by Manalto

James

That is a very good site Manalto, and gives a lot of usefull info. However www.parker75.com is slightly better and a little more accurate in one or two points. For instance the bit about the new design using 18K rather than 14k is slightly out as 18k nibs are available in the old "narrow feed" design as well as the new "wide feed" design. Also 14k nibs are available in the later design. This is more to do with the fact that 14k is not recognized as gold in France.

The adjustable point feature always made me smile as, early on, the pens were sold with a special tool to carry out the adjustment. I have one such tool but I find that fingers work just as well (yes I know that you then have to wash your hands).

Where it says "You'll hear this pattern called "ciselé" by Parker publicists and some collectors, and this is the correct nomenclature for the later French-made models, but "grid" is really the correct term for the first US-made pens." is only partly true. It is correct if you speak French and applies equally to US and French production, just as "grid" applies to US and French models if you are a Yank :) .

I note the point about the grid being finished with black enamel on the early models and not on later models. However later french 75s can be found with the enamel and the Sonnet usually has this feature.

Peter

Really , Matlock? Thank you . Would you be kind enough to let me know how should I proceed cleaning and polishing the pen?

NO ! Give it a gentle wipe with a soft cloth. It was never intended to be "shiny".

Thorough flushing will remove dried ink for good writing.

Good catch at a nice price. Cartridge pens are very easy to maintain.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

That is a very good site Manalto, and gives a lot of usefull info. However www.parker75.com is slightly better and a little more accurate in one or two points. For instance the bit about the new design using 18K rather than 14k is slightly out as 18k nibs are available in the old "narrow feed" design as well as the new "wide feed" design. Also 14k nibs are available in the later design. This is more to do with the fact that 14k is not recognized as gold in France.

The adjustable point feature always made me smile as, early on, the pens were sold with a special tool to carry out the adjustment. I have one such tool but I find that fingers work just as well (yes I know that you then have to wash your hands).

Where it says "You'll hear this pattern called "ciselé" by Parker publicists and some collectors, and this is the correct nomenclature for the later French-made models, but "grid" is really the correct term for the first US-made pens." is only partly true. It is correct if you speak French and applies equally to US and French production, just as "grid" applies to US and French models if you are a Yank :) .

I note the point about the grid being finished with black enamel on the early models and not on later models. However later french 75s can be found with the enamel and the Sonnet usually has this feature.

Thanks, Peter. I didn't necessarily trust unquestioningly the information there, as I hope I made clear in my previous post. I have visited the Parker75 site a couple of times, most recently in my enthusiasm for the pen I got earlier today, and find its exhaustive detail fascinating. We're really getting close to splitting hairs anyway, regarding the dates when they did or did not enamel the design, what's interesting to me is the knowledge that it was done and a decision was made to appreciate the natural patina. (It reminds me of the story of the stone facing that was originally intended for the George Washington Bridge.) I think ciselé is the better term; "grid," with its electronic implications, can be confusing. And let's face it, ciselé sounds more elegant than growly old grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrid.

James

James

From Richard Conner's web site (http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/parker.75.html): "In the 1980s, a new feed and point design (using 18k gold rather than 14k) was introduced, necessitating the redisgn of the section to all but eliminate the triangular grip contour. This design change rendered the adjustable point (and all the ergonomics research behind it) rather moot."

I bought my French Parker 75 Cisele at Seattle Pen in 1983. The owner recommended that he swap the 75's 14k nib for an 18k Premier nib and I agreed. It has a triangular contour.

Thank you , Manalto. Where is your new found pen? Wouldn't you show us?

Got it today on eBay, item 311332622610. It's all your fault!

James

Make me pay a penalty to you then. Lol. Welcome to the 75 sterling silver grid league/club , dear Manalto.

Khan M. Ilyas

Original Parker 75 prices, from Lih-Tah Wong's site: http://www.parker75.com/

1964 - $25 (188.32)

1977 - $50 (192.61)

1979 - $60 (192.65)

1989 - $150 (282.06)

1993 - $155 (250.15)

The figure in green is the price, adjusted for inflation, in 2014 dollars (the most recent adjustment available) from the West Egg site.

Khan, I think you already know your penalty - hearing about my 75.

James

Edited by Manalto

James

Original Parker 75 prices, from Lih-Tah Wong's site: http://www.parker75.com/

1964 - $25 (188.32)

1977 - $50 (192.61)

1979 - $60 (192.65)

1989 - $150 (282.06)

1993 - $155 (250.15)

The figure in green is the price, adjusted for inflation, in 2014 dollars (the most recent adjustment available) from the West Egg site.

Khan, I think you already know your penalty - hearing about my 75.

James

Let us see your 75 when it arrives. And , thank you for the price comparison , James.

Khan M. Ilyas

That's a good-looking pen and a good price. Congratulations.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

That is a great looking pen James. Congrats.

Khan M. Ilyas

Did you notice in the listing that it has the highly sought-after 'Sunburst' top?

(The same as yours?)

Edited by Manalto

James

Did you notice in the listing that it has the highly sought-after 'Sunburst' top?

(The same as yours?)

It is the same as mine. I mean the top of the cap and the bottom of the barrel. Even the engraving pattern is the same. Plain cap front and two lines engraving on the back.

Khan M. Ilyas

I just searched around to find my Parker 75. I don't recall where I got it. I know my father had the matching ballpoint and pencil, so it may have come from him. I is French with a 14K Medium nib. Now I have to find some Parker Ink and give it a try.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I just searched around to find my Parker 75. I don't recall where I got it. I know my father had the matching ballpoint and pencil, so it may have come from him. I is French with a 14K Medium nib. Now I have to find some Parker Ink and give it a try.

If it is French it should have 18k nib and not 14k. Please look again for make of your pen as well as the marking on the nib.

Khan M. Ilyas