Fisher Of Pens

Nathaniel Harter

A while ago I had the pleasure of trying out a Fisher of Pens fountain pen. I tried out the Cappuccino Swirl with a medium nib. I loved it, the colours look very well together, and fit the name. The pen is made of aluminate (which is a light-weight and scratch proof plastic), which is a has a smooth matte finish. The only think I didn’t like was the fact that the nib wrote a wet line for me. However, I do right tiny, and the pen was in a pocket so heat could of caused it. I would give this pen a 9/10, one of the best I have used and good value for its price.

Edit: Forgot to add the pictures.

post-94873-0-11605900-1428071541_thumb.jpg

post-94873-0-03335800-1428071552_thumb.jpg

Edited by SheafferKing

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doulton

• Carl Fisher - F3 Pens

• Nathaniel Harter

• langere

Can you do a full review of the pen and add pictures, please?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I would like to see a review also. Price? How does it fill: cartridge, piston, etc. More photos. Looks great.

I have never heard of this pen. Is it a vintage pen or a new one? Where do you get it?

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

The Fisher of Pens company hand makes these pens. This pen is new and not avaliable for purchase yet. They use a catridge filling system, I believe the international standered type. You can buy them here on their site. I do not have a way to get more pictures, as I no longer have the pen.

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

Thank you for the kind words Nathaniel.

Most of my pens are custom and made to order. The pen shown here does use a standard international cartridge/converter and a JoWo nib in #5 or #6 as shown here depending on the finished size of the pen.

If anyone has specific questions, please don't hesitate to reach out and ask.

Thanks,

Edited by Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher - Owner and chief artisan at F3 Pens

https://bio.site/f3pens

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very low tech review: for the picture of the pen I ordered, please see the first posting here: I ordered a Cappuccino Swirl with a modified italic fine nib.

Customer Service: 10/10. I contacted Carl Fisher after seeing a glimpse of his work in a photograph on this forum. He responded very quickly and was attentive to all of my requests, such as the nib modification. He gave me a time estimate and the pen arrived much earlier than he predicted--it could be luck with getting the nib done. I also believe that Carl Fisher is scrupulously honest. This is the first time I have had a pen custom made. I prefer smaller pens (My Conway-Stewart Dandy is the perfect size for my hand). I mentioned my concerns and preferences about size to Carl who must have been very attentive.

Design: This was perfect for me. It is about 1/4 inch longer than the Dandy unposted and about 1/4 inch shorter than the Dandy posted. The difference is negligible. I would call this pen a medium women's pen; men may think that the size is small. The entire point is that I was able to specify a weight and dimensions based on my all-time favorite pen, The Dandy. Carl Fisher's pen is slightly more streamlined than the Dandy with rounded ends. The Dandy has flatter ends.

NIB: I ordered a special nib--an italic and Mr. Fisher arranged to have it done off of his premises. The turnaround was speedy.

FILLING: It comes with a standard c/c. The converter was great and filled right away. Some of these c/c's are coy little vixens and need to be coaxed. This one filled up without air bubbles or staining.

Cost and Value: 10 out of 10. It is worth it for me to pursue my own pens. I think that the value of patronizing a penmaker is enormous to me because I don't much care about brand names. I do care about ease of writing and filling the pen. I care very much about the size. This pen fit into my hand simply perfectly. It's the kind of pen that I could use for hours without fatigue. It is smooth and does not press into my flesh at all. If this pen were made by a major company I would imagine it to be at a price point of about $500.

Conclusion: 10 out of 10. I highly recommend that you think about what might make a pen perfect for you and for your hands and for your style. See if you can custom order one from The Fisher of Pens. It is clear to me that there is an enormous amount of value in patronizing a conscientious pen-maker (penwright??) and that you can select various colors, sizes, nibs, along to way.

I believe that you can see the pen that is now mine through its midwifery on this topic:

"A Custom Order Cappuccino Swirl Fountain Pen" posted by Carl Fisher on March 10th.

NOTE: I have no affiliation with him; I was inspired to order one of his pens by his posts and pictures on the FPN. I don't have a huge collection of FP;s but I have Pilots, Pelikans, about 5 Viscontis, Dani Trio's, and my CS Dandy, Wellington, and 100. For my next pen, (I acquire only 1 or 2 a year and all of my pens are users) I will return to Carl Fisher or try an other independent maker of pens.

Edited by Doulton

"Tea cleared my head and left me with no misapprehensions".

The Duke of Wellington

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I believe that you can see my pen here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/286637-a-custom-order-cappuccino-swirl-fountain-pen/

Edited by Doulton

The Duke of Wellington

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/286637-a-custom-order-cappuccino-swirl-fountain-pen/

I believe that this is my pen. It has a good medium flow; the ink is always laid down evenly but I can play with the italic nib to very my writing width.

Another bonus: If I were to ever need customer service, I am certain that Mr. Fisher would work with me.

Edited by Doulton

The Duke of Wellington

Thank you so much for all the kind words and reviews. Feedback from the FPN community at large goes a long way to helping not only me but other quality pen artisans. I think we're blessed with a great group of specialty pen makers and we all constantly push each other to improve the art.

Thank you to both Doulton and SheafferKing.

Carl Fisher - Owner and chief artisan at F3 Pens

https://bio.site/f3pens