Pilot Sf, Sfm, Sm, Fa Nibs - Which One Will Be Better For Flex Writing?

bodobose

Hi,

I am considering the purchase of a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 pen for normal as well as flex writing (when needed) and I have some questions about the Soft Fine (SF) / Soft Fine Medium (SFM) / Soft Medium (SM) / Falcon (FA) nibs of Pilot.

I know that modern flex pens cannot compete with vintage pens as far as fllexing is concerned. But vintage flex pens are not available where I live and I do not also want a wet noodle at the present. I have heard Noodler's Ahab is finicky and I am not interested to do lot of tinkering as well. As such, I have zeroed in on to the aforementioned Pilot nibs.

All that I want is the option to do some flexing while writing normally - it need not be too much, but it needs to be something noticeable so as to have some interesting line variations.

After reading/watching reviews on the net and here, I find that the Falcon (FA) nib of Pilot has more flexing capabilities than their other nibs, but some say it is meant for the Japanese market and their alphabets and for slow writing - for others who try to write a little fast, it is said that there is a lot of railroading with the FA nib.

Quite interestingly I also found in some reviews that the Pilot SFM nib has some considerable flexing capability - I saw a video on youtube where I found quite some line variations with the Pilot SFM nib. I want to be sure before buying.

I write in normal speed (not slow) and would like to know from you who have experience in these nibs on which one of these will be better for my purpose, i.e., normal speed writing with the option of some noticeable flexing when needed without the irritating problem of railroading?

If you are kind enough to show some writing examples, it will be very helpful for me to decide...

Hope I could make myself clear...

Thanks in advance to you all

Edited by bodobose

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bodobose

• A144

• tinkerteacher

• minddance

Hi Algester,

Thanks for your reply!

I don't worry about the thickness of the SFM nib while writing normally, but I want flexing capability without frequent railroading problem. I am done with finicky nibs - I feel that if the nib does not perform as expected or if it performs arbitrarily, then it is ultimately a waste of money. As you own SFM nib, what is your experience about its flexing capability?

Edited by bodobose

bodobose, I had the exact same dilemma when I purchased my PIlot 912 to use as semi-daily writer, albeit a daily writer with "flare." Like you I had narrowed it down to the Soft nibs or the FA nib.

Besides, the Youtube videos you mentioned, also check the numerical nib sizes here:

http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

A comparision of handwriting with the Soft and FA nibs on a Pilot 912 here:

http://www.gouletpens.com/nib-nook

Keeping in mind that the Softs write a little broader than the non-soft counterparts and can flex one or two sizes broader, and that the FA if used at a normal speed is a good, albeit wet, daily writer that starts as a fine and can flex up to atleast a broad, I ended up going with the FA on my 912.

Edited by tinkerteacher

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

Hi tinkerteacher,

What is your experience with the FA nib as regards the railroading problem? Does it railroad a lot while flexing and when generally does it railroad more?

No experience with the FA nib, but I'd highly recommend the FPGeeks video of them on YouTube if you haven't seen them already. They really demonstrate what situations the nib tends to railroad in.

I do have a 91 with a SFM nib and really like it. With very light pressure, it doesn't flex much, but it allows you to get a bit of line variation when you want to. If you want to get max line variation you will have to slow down some. But it works great for a daily writer.

So many inks, so little time...

Hi tinkerteacher,

What is your experience with the FA nib as regards the railroading problem? Does it railroad a lot while flexing and when generally does it railroad more?

I've only had my 912 FA for a few weeks now (thanks YEN-USD rate) and am still getting used to it, but, as I use it as my semi-daily desk writing pen and not for full on calligraphy, I've not yet seen much of this railroading everyone talks about.

It's "default" mode seems to be a Japanese Fine and it will happily flex with no fuss to a Japanese Broad; anything beyond that and the result is not worth the effort in my opinion.

I suppose if you were trying to force it behave like some vintage flexy calligraphy pen you could cause it to seriously railroad, but that's not what I use it for.

From the description you gave of what kind of writing you would like to do, I'd say it would be a good fit for you.

Edited by tinkerteacher

And, if you'd like a nice well-designed and well-made soft leather home for your Pilot 912, check out Pilot's new Pensemble pen cases.

I got the Pensemble single pen Japanese style wrap around for my 912.

I have a Custom 742 with FA nib, a Falcon with SF nib, and a Custom 91 with SF nib. Each are very different nibs. The 742 has the most flex, followed by the Falcon, followed by the Custom 91. All are buttery smooth, and you just need to figure out which nib you really want. The Custom 91 with SF nib can actually be used for taking note; neither the Falcon or the FA nibbed Custom 742 will work easily with that task.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Many thanks for your reply. I watched FPGeek's video on the FA nib and after seeing that I felt the nib is not performing as expected.

I request you to see this video - the second pen is a Custom 74 with SFM nib... in this video, SFM nib appears to be quite "flexy"! As some of you have this nib, I would like to know is it true at all?

I have the Custom 74 with the SFM nib and i think you will be disappointed if you buy it for flexing. It´s soft, but not "flexy". To get anything like whats shown in the video you would have to press down very hard, harder than i would recommend. I dont use my SFM nib for flexing at all.

It will get you some line variation, but its more subtle than in the video.

I have the Custom 74 with the SFM nib and i think you will be disappointed if you buy it for flexing. It´s soft, but not "flexy". To get anything like whats shown in the video you would have to press down very hard, harder than i would recommend. I dont use my SFM nib for flexing at all.

+1

I use my SFM for regular writing. It's a lovely cushioned experience, but there are far better nibs out there for flexing.

Thanks! That's clears the micunderstanding on my part.

So it appears that for modern flexing in Pilot pens only the FA nib will have some semblance of flexing; but after watching the FPGeek's video, I am not quite sure about its performance. There is way too much rairoading there!

And having no option to buy any vintage pens here, there goes my hope of getting a reasonably priced flex pen! :(

I would like to thank you all once again for your time, help and suggestions. I am new to this community and I find it's always such a nice learning experience to be here.

Many thanks for your reply. I watched FPGeek's video on the FA nib and after seeing that I felt the nib is not performing as expected.

Did you see what Dan said starting at 6'15", six minutes and 15 seconds in that FPGeeks video?

"In everyday writing, where I wasn't flexing the nib, it performed perfectly. Its supersoft feel and smoothness make you think of a brush pen."

I agree totally with Dan.

I did a writing sample with my CH91 SFM. I wasn't writing as fast as I do when printing (like at the bottom of the sheet), but not as slow as I'd go with say, a Noodler's Konrad/Ahab. The loops near the top of the page were drawn fairly quickly, the same speed as I'd draw them with a regular nib, just adding pressure on the down stroke. This is about as far as I am comfortable pushing this nib.

It's hard to give a good answer without knowing how fast you write, how much flex you want, etc. Even your ink will make a difference. I don't find Syo-ro to be the wettest Iro ink, but it's not a dry ink by any means. I'd imagine with a really wet flowing ink, say PR Tanzanite, I wouldn't have had any issues with this writing sample. You can see the few railroads I got with Syo-ro, but again, I'm writing faster than I normally would to make nice looking flex writing (or as nice as I can...). And as stated, the feeds weren't designed to keep up western cursive writing.

If you want to add a bit of flair to your every day writing, I think any of these nibs will work find for you. If you want a dedicated flex, maybe not. Perhaps you could post a writing sample similar to what you're looking to achieve with the pen?

Hi bodobose,

I'll just add that I agree with the other replies about the SFM nib (CH91) being soft but not flexy. I have a couple of vintage flex nibs, not wet noodles by any means, but they have a substantially different feel than my CH91 nib. The amount of pressure I feel comfortable applying produces very, very little line variation in the CH91, but the same amount of pressure in the vintage nibs produces good amount of variation. You said that there aren't vintage pens available locally, but is purchasing abroad out of the question? I know shipping cost from the US are fairly high, but I was wondering about other countries, in particular EU countries. There are nice vintage European pens that have some flex. Best wishes with your search for a pen.

I did a writing sample with my CH91 SFM. I wasn't writing as fast as I do when printing (like at the bottom of the sheet), but not as slow as I'd go with say, a Noodler's Konrad/Ahab. The loops near the top of the page were drawn fairly quickly, the same speed as I'd draw them with a regular nib, just adding pressure on the down stroke. This is about as far as I am comfortable pushing this nib.

It's hard to give a good answer without knowing how fast you write, how much flex you want, etc. Even your ink will make a difference. I don't find Syo-ro to be the wettest Iro ink, but it's not a dry ink by any means. I'd imagine with a really wet flowing ink, say PR Tanzanite, I wouldn't have had any issues with this writing sample. You can see the few railroads I got with Syo-ro, but again, I'm writing faster than I normally would to make nice looking flex writing (or as nice as I can...). And as stated, the feeds weren't designed to keep up western cursive writing.

If you want to add a bit of flair to your every day writing, I think any of these nibs will work find for you. If you want a dedicated flex, maybe not. Perhaps you could post a writing sample similar to what you're looking to achieve with the pen?

... And here's the picture I MEANT to post:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc203/BigBassin/iro%20syo-ro_ch91%20sfm_zpsmyjtzoqo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying! Had been mostly out of station for last week or so!

Many thanks Tinkerteacher, A144, VAgal for your kind responses...

@A144 - Very kind of you to attach the writing sample! It makes everything clear! I just want a little bit of flex here and there and I think (after seeing your sample) SFM will do! Only question that I have is whether your writing sample is lifesize or a little bigger than actual?

@VAgal - Grateful for your suggestions! I will PM you my reply...

Sorry for the delay in replying! Had been mostly out of station for last week or so!

Many thanks Tinkerteacher, A144, VAgal for your kind responses...

@A144 - Very kind of you to attach the writing sample! It makes everything clear! I just want a little bit of flex here and there and I think (after seeing your sample) SFM will do! Only question that I have is whether your writing sample is lifesize or a little bigger than actual?

@VAgal - Grateful for your suggestions! I will PM you my reply...

Tough to say, as the size and resolution of your monitor will differ from mine. I'm running 27" 1080p displays and it appears in this thread about 175% of the real life sample. The best reference I can give you is that it was written on Rhodia paper with 5mm graph ruling. So you should be able to measure the image on your screen to get a better sense.

• 2 years later...