Stresemann Vs Clear Demo M805

Calabria

So - two major releases from Pelikan within a month from each other. Which would, or will, or did you pick?

And isn't the clear demo just a tad pricey (I know, I know, the prices of new pens have been discussed ad nauseam, but still ...)?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Recoil Rob

• serpent

• cellardoor04

• Lam1

Stresemann, hands down. One that will always be classy and dignified vs quirkey.

Regards

Jeff

Would love to have both, especially the engraved M805 demo but on this one, the Stresemann wins. It's classic appearance will never be out of place.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I intend to pick up both, since I've found that the M80x is the best fit for me. But if I had to choose, it would be the demonstrator without a doubt. Now, what I can't decide is if I want the demonstrator with or without engravings...

I think both are (very) pricey. But one of the good things about Pelikan is that if you look around carefully, and are patient, there are good deals to be found.

Not much for demonstrators. So that's pretty much a no-brainer.

I really wish that the Stresemann came in a smaller size than 800. If Pelikan made an M400 in that color I would be trying to figure out how to afford one.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have a Stresemann with a BB nib on the way. Not a big fan of demonstrators as the random ink seepage into the section or other parts really get to me. I find the Stresemann beautiful in an understated, dignified way. Thanks to whichwatch's photo in his thread, I know it'll be a perfect pair to my Tortoise!

The BB is going to be a two-tone, which I guess doesn't "match" with the M805 trim, but I'd rather have that awesome nib than worry about colour matching to be honest :P

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I really wish that the Stresemann came in a smaller size than 800. If Pelikan made an M400 in that color I would be trying to figure out how to afford one.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

This

The 805 Stresemann joined my flock 6 weeks ago and it really is a beautiful pen and smooth and wet writer with the B nib.

And well, I'm at least thinking about the 805 Demonstrator...

Mimi

Agree - love the Stresemann. It's beautiful but almost all of my pens are black or black/gray. I wish it came in a smaller size as well, but that's probably good for my budget!

I'd take the demonstrator for now because I believe the Stresemann is a regular edition. Before I acquire any of those though, I'd like to get a tortoise M800 with a BB or BBB nib.

Stresemann for sure. One of the selling points of Pelikan pens for me were their beautiful striped binde. I've avoided models such as the green o' green and all-black just for that reason. Demonstrators look a bit too tacky for me, and while it is fun to see on a $50 TWSBI, I kinda want to be spending $800 on professional instrument that won't distract me with swirling ink! Just my 2 cents, though - take it as you may.

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

I won't buy either. They are a bit expensive pens for me and I already own a M800. So there is no need for another one. If I could get it free, it would be a hard decision. The Stresemann looks classy and distinguished, but maybe a bit boring. The demonstrator looks modern and as I don't own a transparent piston filler pen, I probably would choose this one.

Edited by Nyanzilla

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

To me, demonstrators look like cheap versions of the real pen with prices way above what I think they be. Streseman for me.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I've been following a post on FB, Fountain Pen Collectors, and I have a question: Am I wrong?

I have never seen the term, "Stresemann," applied to any pen, M80X or otherwise, until the introduction of the limited edition that has been the main subject of this thread. But there is a post on FB/FPC in which the writer maintains that his M800 Green Stripe is a "Stresemann."

I'm not going to argue with him, especially if I've truly lost my alleged mind, but if I'm right, I'm going to direct him to this thread.

Thanks all.

Well, I guess I should say this and at least one other thread regarding the new Stresemann.

Edited by abstract49

I've been following a post on FB, Fountain Pen Collectors, and I have a question: Am I wrong?

I have never seen the term, "Stresemann," applied to any pen, M80X or otherwise, until the introduction of the limited edition that has been the main subject of this thread. But there is a post on FB/FPC in which the writer maintains that his M800 Green Stripe is a "Stresemann."

I'm not going to argue with him, especially if I've truly lost my alleged mind, but if I'm right, I'm going to direct him to this thread.

Thanks all.

Well, I guess I should say this and at least one other thread regarding the new Stresemann.

I recall reading somewhere that the striped bindes were reminiscent of Stresemann's pinstriped suits and people referred to the pens as such. The new model that came out is supposed to be the M805 Anthracite, I think? Apologies if I am horribly wrong.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I recall reading somewhere that the striped bindes were reminiscent of Stresemann's pinstriped suits and people referred to the pens as such. The new model that came out is supposed to be the M805 Anthracite, I think? Apologies if I am horribly wrong.

This is what it says on Pelikan's own web site:

Product description Souverän® 805 Stresemann®

The foreign minister of the Weimar Republic, Gustav Stresemann (1879- 1929), was honored with the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1926: Together with his French colleague Aristide Briand, he was acknowleged for his reconciliatory work between the nations after World War I. Besides his impressive political career, Stresemann also became famous for the creation of a new kind of suit that was still sufficiently formal for official presentations and yet comfortable enough for his work at the office. Stresemann liked to wear suits with thin stripes, and, as life sometimes goes, a legend developed … and suddenly, people called the striped fountain pens from Pelikan -- that were just then starting their global tour of success around the world -- by the name of „Stresemann“.

Both the suits and the pens still carry that name to this day. To officially acknowledge and honor this legend, Pelikan has now named the latest addition to the standard collection, the Souverän with elegant stripes in anthracite, the „Stresemann“.

The barrel with the deceptively simple anthracite stripes is made of cellulose acetate, using a traditional process that‘s extremely work-intensive. For the black, finely turned pieces, high-quality resin was used. The clip and the rings are plated with palladium. The nib is made of 18 carat gold and then completely rhodinized to obtain a silver sheen. Every single writing instrument is mounted by hand and carefully checked to fulfill the strictest quality criteria.