Advice Needed

High_Noon

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am in need of advice from those more knowledgable regarding fountain pens than I. First, I'd like to apologize for the length of this post, but as a new site member, I'd like to detail my quandry: After ~ 30 years, I have recently started using fountain pens again. The impetus for returning to fountain pen use was my decision to go back to school to earn a master's degree. I found myself taking copius notes and although I have several very nice ballpoint pens (Montegrappa, Rotring, Delta, Sheaffer, etc) I dislike writing for long periods with a ballpoint. I never really liked rollerballs. The decision to start using a fountain pen again was a relevation. I have an old MB, but I don't like using flashy pens and I don't particularly like MB (no offense to the MB lovers out there, but in my opinion, they are overpriced and a fashion statement of sorts, which is not my cup of tea) so I have been using an old Sheaffer Premier with a medium steel nib, which works well, but the M nib is just a bit too wide for my writing style (I've had to increase the spacing of my lettering somewhat - but this is not overly bothersome). I also have a Rotring Core fountain pen, that actually writes quite nicely and is very reliable as well. I would like to find a new everyday fountain pen w/ a gold nib that is understated, well-balanced with a bit of weight to it, yet very high quality and writes just a bit finer than my Sheaffer Premier w/ the M nib. I'd like to stay in the $235.00 range for my new acquisition, if possible. I am certainly open to finding a used example in excellent condition if I can save a bit of cash.

I purchased a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 due to some great reviews I read. After receiving it, I immediately sold it - the F nib was much too fine and it was extremely lightweight and seemed relatively cheap to me, even though the build quality appeared good. I now know Japanese nibs are much finer than Western nibs.

After semi-exhaustive research, I had settled on an Aurora Talentum (full size) in all black with chrome trim with either a M or F nib. I did read that the Aurora nibs write a bit thicker than "normal" western nibs. Unfortunately, the best price I have been able to find is $299.95, which is more than I want to spend, but I do like this pen a lot, although I have never handled one.

I looked at the Aurora 88 (too expensive) the Pelikan M405 (probably in my range, but a bit on the small/light side and the M605 is too expensive. Also, I don’t know if I want a piston fill rather than a c/c (these were all black models with silver-colored trim). I looked at the Visconti Van Gough, but I don’t care for the arched clip. I also looked at some Deltas, Watermans, Parkers, and Montegrappas, but nothing really grabbed me like the Talentum. The Monegrappas I have experience with do not have good balance and do not fit my medium-sided hand very well - the caps tend to dig onto the web between my thumb and forefinger. Omas is too expensive. Compared to the Auroras and the Pelikans, the German Rotering 600 fountain pen I have been interested in for years isn’t looking so good anymore.

So based upon my criteria:

1) Are there other high-quality gold nibbed choices in my price range I may have overlooked?

2) Does anyone have a recommendation on where I might find an Aurora Talentum or a Pelikan M605 in my price range?

3) Should I be concerned about the extra care and maintenance a piston filler would entail?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- High_Noon

Edited by High_Noon

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• High_Noon

• Frank C

• pranav.bhatnagar

• lahlahlaw

Sounds to me like you need to take a trip to a Real Pen Store. I believe that you live in Texas; Dromgoole's in Houston would be my recommendation. You can try lots of pens with many different nibs and get lots of personal advice. Dromgoole's also has its own line of Noodler's Ink, with names like Texas Blue Bonnet and Texas Black Bat.

On more than one occasion, I have left a pen store with a pen completely different from the one I went in to buy.

So based upon my criteria:

1) Are there other high-quality gold nibbed choices in my price range I may have overlooked?

2) Does anyone have a recommendation on where I might find an Aurora Talentum or a Pelikan M605 in my price range?

3) Should I be concerned about the extra care and maintenance a piston filler would entail?

I will try to answer some of your questions:

1) Pens don't have to have a gold nib to write well some people on this forum swear by Parker Sonnets, which can have either steel or gold nibs.

2) You could buy either one used at a pen show, on the 'bay, or on FPN classifieds. Let the buyer beware, though.

3) I don't find piston pens to require any more upkeep than converter pens. Having said that, I usually use ink made by the manufacturer of the pen. I figure they were made for each other, or at least if there's a problem, the manufacturer will take care of it.

I hope this helps.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Frank C,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm in TX, but I'm over 740 miles from Houston. I moved from Dallas to El Paso several years ago. There is a great pen store here and the owner is very helpful, but he specializes in limited editions and discontinued models. His doesn't have a great deal of fountain pens either. There is another high-end store here that has a nice selection of newer fountain pens, but it is not their main business and the staff is not particularly knowledgeable. .

I have been looking at the Parker Sonnets and I may get one if the price is right, but I believe I am looking for something that's a bit fatter and a bit more uncommon - if that's the right word. I have also looked at the Delta Soiree with the new Fusion nib, which is also a contender, but it's a bit lower on the list... I have been looking on flea-bay as well (which is where I purchased the Pilot Custom Heritage 91 I mentioned), but I haven't found the right pen yet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by High_Noon

The Lamy 2000 with a <F> nib sounds like a good fit for your criteria. If I had one I'd meet up with you so you could try it, I'm in ol' El Paso too ;-).

@arts_nibs

+1 for the LAMY 2000...but get it with an <EF> (extra-fine), if you can.

A LAMY <F> is just a tad too wide than what I'm used to.

Edited by GClef

Gold-nibbed, high-quality, not flashy, reliable, durable, write for weeks, perfect weight/balance/girth, classic looks that still look modern 70 years later, and well under $235 = Parker "51" (aero or vac). For long writing sessions (I've drafted professional journal articles with 20-30 handwritten pages), this pen is ideal. With your budget, you can buy two from a reputable restorer. If you like to change inks, the "51" isn't your choice. But as a worker's pen that earned an incredible and well-deserved reputation, the "51" has few equals. This pen will last for many more decades of faithful use.

The Lamy 2k could also meet your needs as a piston filler, but it's markedly heavier than the "51," and the girth is wider. I'd recommend holding one for two reasons. First, the metal section is very cool compared to most other pens, but the texture prevents it from getting slippery (a complaint against many other fountain pens with a metal section). Second, the small metal tabs that "click" the tab into place may be uncomfortable, depending how you hold your pens.

You could add the Pilot Vanishing Point to your list, but I also recommend holding one as the location of the clip may not give you the writing experience you are looking for. I find the VP to be a very convenient pen for office use and meeting work. But this is a heavy pen, wide girth, and cold metal feel. Given the high marks this pen gets from FPN (and my wife has two of them), this pen is worth a look as it meets your criteria.

For $100 less than your budget, you could also look deeper into the Golden Age of fountain pens. Sheaffer, Easterbrook, and Parker made some incredible pens that will run you $50-$150, and if you are interested, quite a few members could provide solid recommendations.

I would normally advise the Sailor 1911 or the Platinum #3776 that fall well under your price range, but you may find them too light. The nibs are excellent, the Japanese craftsmanship is excellent, and the pens write with any ink.

Buzz

Similar to Buzz, I would also recommend a Sailor 1911 or Century 3776--if you're looking for a new pen. If you're interested in dabbling into the world of vintage pens, Esterbrooks are amazing.

My smoothest nib though, is my Faber Castell Loom. Modern styling and an incredibly smooth nib!

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλεις, ἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The Lamy 2000 with a <F> nib sounds like a good fit for your criteria. If I had one I'd meet up with you so you could try it, I'm in ol' El Paso too ;-).

ArtsNibs - thanks for the offer, I'd like to try a Lamy 2000 - too bad you don't have one. They are definitely modern-looking, but not flashy - which I like. I did find several, but at ~$140.00, I would like to try one first - I seem to be getting more particular in my middle age and I have reached the point where I will not buy anything unless it's exactly what I am looking for. Perhaps you have other examples which might fit my criteria I could try out?

Gold-nibbed, high-quality, not flashy, reliable, durable, write for weeks, perfect weight/balance/girth, classic looks that still look modern 70 years later, and well under $235 = Parker "51" (aero or vac).

Buzz - I am not sure of the pattern description, but that Parker 51 Vacumatic with all the little, stacked metalllic lines "rings?" sure is a nice looking fountain pen. I will try to find a restored one for a decent price. A pen that "writes for days" interests me as I do a lot of scientific writing and note taking, but most of my thesis work is done on the computer. Regarding Japanese pens, I have handled Sailors, Pilots and Platinums and you are correct, they are well made, but they seem much too light for me (but equating weight to quality is a tendency I should probably avoid). I have seen the Vanishing Points, but I feel they are not what I'm looking for. However, the I will give the VP another look.

Esterbrooks are amazing.

Lovely_Pen - I checked out Esterbrooks on fleabay and they seem nice - the price is certainly decent as well.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I had my heart set on the Aurora Talentum or perhaps a Pelikan M605, but these may have to wait until I graduate and am gainfully employed - unless I can find one in my price range. Vintage was something I had not really considered, but after seeing a very nice, restored Parker 51 Vacumatic with the "stacked metallic rings" I believe I would definitely consider one if the price was right.

Edited by High_Noon

Regarding Japanese pens, I have handled Sailors, Pilots and Platinums and you are correct, they are well made, but they seem much too light for me (but equating weight to quality is a tendency I should probably avoid).

Just a note about weight - it is a very personal thing, and your experience may be different.

Weight has little to do, if anything, with quality. I have a nice hefty Jinhao 159, which is exactly the cheap Chinese pen it claims to be - it isn't bad, but it isn't high quality at all. But it sure is heavy! I can't say my heavier Pilot Metropolitan is a higher quality pen than a Pelikan M200, either, but it weighs more. I won't say the Metro's a lot worse, though, even though it costs 1/10th the price. Price is not a good judge of quality, either.

I have several pens here which are "heavy" and several which are "light". If I had to pick between "too heavy" and "too light" I'll pick the lighter pen every time. A heavy pen is harder for me to write with for more than a moment.

More important to me than weight is girth. I have several small metal pens - like the Parker 180 - that are stylish, easy to carry, and not too heavy or too light. They're too small for my larger hands to hold comfortably, though, so they're not favorites in rotation.

The Pelikan M200 is lighter than the Lamy 2000, but both have a reasonable grip, and I find them both quite usable.

These are all going to vary a lot based on your personal preferences, how you write, the size of your hands, how much you write, etc.

You'll be way better off if you can find a way to hold a pen to see how it feels to you.

There's a couple of loaner programs here - a TWSBI loaner program, and an Esterbrook loaner program - that might let you hold these two common pens. (As a note, a Pelikan M200 is the same size, more or less, as an Esterbrook J.) That'll give you some more data points.

If you do want to try a vintage pen, I suggest getting one that's restored and tuned. Peyton Street Pens does an excellent job - as to many others here, but I have more experience with Peyton Street - and offers a guarantee. Teri, the owner, is very helpful and will answer any questions you have before a purchase.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

The folk at Airline are really really nice, helpful and knowledgeable. They should be able to help you.

I think they are more knowledgeable at the Montana location. The personnel at the Mesa location are not particularly knowledgeable regarding fountain pens - in my experience. + Airline's prices are MSRP - but a good place to look. Thanks.

Edited by High_Noon

As of today, in order of preference, here are the pens I am considering:

1. Pelikan M405 F nib. The best price I've found in the US for a black/blue version is

$255.00 including shipping. I also found an all black version (which I prefer) in

Japan for $250.00 incl shipping.

2. Delta Dolcevita Soiree Fusion (M nib?) - best price I've found is $125.00

3. Lamay 2000 F - not sure about this one yet - price is probably around $140.00

including shipping.

Of course I'd still prefer the full-size Talentum in all black w/ chrome trim or an Pelikan M605, but I doubt I will be able to find either in my price range. I'm thinking I may pull the trigger on one of the Pelikan M405s. The Pelikan seems like a "nicer" pen than the Delta and in all black, the M405 is understated as well; although, the blue/black is not too flashy. Additionally, I decided I want to try a piston fill as the added ink supply is a + for me. I'd like to try the Lamay 2K, but finding one locally to try is a long shot.

I think it would be better to wait until I establish a good track record on collecting a few nice examples of modern production pens and writing with them before I get into vintage fountain pens.

Edited by High_Noon

How about a TWSBI Classic? Piston filler, postable, several nib choices, $50.00.

Thanks. I've been following a few TWSBI 580s on fleabay, but I'll check out the classic.

Edited by High_Noon

High Noon;

Welcome back to fountain pens.

I would recommend:

a) Lamy 2000: Fantastic pen. Stylistic its an icon. Great writer also.

B) Pelikan 600: Pelican makes great pens. Size wise, the 800 is more my cup of tea.

c) Pilot: Metal Falcon is around $240. It has a soft nib, which doesn't quick make it to semi-flex, but its real fun.

A little over your price range:

a) Pilot Custom 288: Piston filler, currently my favorite.

B) Pilot Justus 95 (with an adjustable nib Hard or Soft)

One bit of advice about vintage pens. Try them before you buy. Returns tend not to be accepted for vintage pens. Trying them out also makes sure they are in working order.

I would avoid:

TWSBI - some quality issues

As far as great places to shop via internet:

Anderson Pens

Bertram's Inkwell

Fahrney's

Fountain Pen Hospital

Pen Chalet

Each has multiple postings. I've never had an issue with any of them.

High Noon;

Welcome back to fountain pens.

I would recommend:

a) Lamy 2000: Fantastic pen. Stylistic its an icon. Great writer also.

B) Pelikan 600: Pelican makes great pens. Size wise, the 800 is more my cup of tea.

c) Pilot: Metal Falcon is around $240. It has a soft nib, which doesn't quick make it to semi-flex, but its real fun.

Thank you. Yes, I've come to realize that the Pelikan M405 is too small for me as well. I'd like a M605 or an M805, but I doubt I can find one in my price range. I'm still on the fence regarding the Lamy 2K, but I will try to find one locally to check out before I decide. The metal Falcon looks nice - I will try to check one out as well.

Do you have an opinion regarding the Delta Dolcevita Soiree Fusion with a M or F nib? I cannot seem to find any reviews on this pen.

High Noon,

Definitely would love to meet up, I've got a few of the ones that've been mentioned, and a whole bunch of vintage pens. If you like you call me at 867-4944, local area code.

@arts_nibs

High Noon,

Definitely would love to meet up, I've got a few of the ones that've been mentioned, and a whole bunch of vintage pens. If you like you call me at 867-4944, local area code.

Will do

High Noon,

Will do

I see the beginnings of an El Paso Pen Posse. They are fun and a good way to learn about pens from fellow pen enthusiasts.

I was wondering where you were in Texas when I suggested a trip to Dromgooles. I drove across the county once, From Las Vegas to El Paso, TX, in one day. From El Paso, TX to Beaumont, TX, the second day. And from Beaumont, TX to Atlanta, the third day. Texas is a big state—everything's bigger in Texas.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.