Experience Ordering Akkerman Ink From The Eu. Photo Heavy

ehallspqr

This isn't so much an ink review as it is my experience ordering Akkerman ink directly from the Netherlands to the USA. I was not expecting earth shaking results from this ink. A rumor I hear repeated is that the Akkerman's ink is made for them by another company, which only makes sense. I suspect this is probably a more common occurrence than people realize. Whether this is true or not had little or no bearing on me making a decision to purchase or not to purchase. I did play around with it a little, comparing it to similar Diamine test colors that I have in my ink collection. These results where neither here nor there, but I'm admittedly not experienced enough to really make a detailed comparison so I will leave that to other reviewers. While the colors did match up very well, I'm quite certain Akkerman's ink is custom formulated and therefore has slightly different properties. So far I am very pleased with the colors and function in my pens. These will be a welcome addition to my ever expanding ink collection. And to be honest, I was mainly after those wonderful, fanciful, marble stopper inkwell bottles which I think are the best designed bottles to have come along. Very clever those Dutch.

I ordered 5 of the 60ml bottles on March 11th and received my order on Mar. 27th. Shipping was €20 and five bottles is the maximum number before the next level of shipping increase. Total shipped cost was $88.95 and this works out to $17.79 per bottle, which isn't bad at all. The price shown on Akkerman's website includes VAT (tax) which does not apply to those ordering from outside the EU? The $/€ exchange rate is very favorable right now so I felt it was a good time to order anything based on Euros. Tracking is provided so you can follow the progress of your shipment. Considering the package sat in customs for a few days, the shipping time was quite reasonable. Akkerman's packing is top notch and very thorough. No leakage of other mishaps. If you only need one bottle then I would still suggest ordering from the one American vendor selling Akkerman ink to save the time, effort and cost of international shipping. If your needing 3 or more bottles then it starts to become cost effective to order directly from Akkerman's.

I have snapped some photos of the ink bottles and packaging. Yes there are already many available online, but I like looking at photos in threads and thought it might inspire someone else to take the plunge. Last photo shows me holding one of the new 60ml bottles so I person can get some idea of scale. These are much smaller than the 150ml "tankers" that Akkerman sold previously. 60mls is a much more practical size but I do miss the larger, more impressive 150ml version. It would have looked great sitting on my writing desk, although the smaller bottles are themselves plenty gorgeous. And they work just the same as the larger bottles, which is to say great. If there is a better designed inkwell bottle out there, I have yet to come across it.

The usual; I have no affiliation with Akkerman, Diamine or any stake whatsoever with these companies. Ordering from overseas always involves some risk and your results may vary. Just another option for people to think consider.

My order, bottles-boxes with label #/s displayed.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/ehallspqr/Akkerman%20ink%20with%20boxes.jpg

Akkerman bottles lined up on the window sill and backlit by the morning sun.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/ehallspqr/Akkermans%20group.jpg

Small Sticker taped to the lid of the box. I believe this is meant to be installed on the neck of the bottle. Akkerman seals the neck area with vinyl tape for shipping and doesn't want this label damaged. The little details make for a fine company.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/ehallspqr/Akkerman%20sticker.jpg

Akkerman Simplisties Violet and Cherry blossoms in the warm spring air.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/ehallspqr/Akkerman%20holding.jpg

"Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into are awake through the years with transferred touch and go on glowing for long years. And for this reason, some old things are lovely warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• ehallspqr

• penholdloop

• lgsoltek

would like to second the original post!

I did a little better price wise due the exchange rate.

5 bottles arrived in absolutely great packaging!

In fact i made a mistake while ordering, (had the country down as UK instead of the USA).

got a email asking for a correct zip code!

sorted it out via telephone! great service!

now I also know what to do with the sticker inside the box! (thanks op)

top notch!

I too have a very positive experience ordering direct from Akkerman, even though when I did my order, the Euro was pretty high. I ordered three of the 60ml bottles and got them within two weeks, a far cry from shipping from any other country... which usually takes a minimum of three weeks, and not uncommonly 6 weeks or more...

Thanks also for alerting me to the label on the inside of the lid of the box - I'd completely missed it! it says they are the court suppliers, so that makes this ink special in that way, too - maybe the king of the Netherlands writes with the same ink we do...

The one thing I am sorry about is that I didn't order in time to get the 150ml "tanker" bottles - I only have the one a friend brought me from the Netherlands some years ago, Maybe they will bring them back some day?

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Ditto, I have made a few purchases from Akkerman with no problems. The shipping was very quick to Canada.

I've had the good fortune to visit Akkerman's in The Hague and it was a fantastic experience. Also, had a couple of orders delivered to the UK and the service is excellent. And as for the bottles...!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I ran a couple of Group Buys in Canada... for the 150ml bottles. :lol: ... It came to approx $20/bottle shipped to my door.. The best deal in town AFAIK .. :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I've had the good fortune to visit Akkerman's in The Hague and it was a fantastic experience. Also, had a couple of orders delivered to the UK and the service is excellent. And as for the bottles...!

Which bottles ??????????????

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Which bottles ??????????????

Well, Twisted Zuiderpark, of course!!!!!

The Good Captain

I was able to get in on the FPN group buy last year (the inks were distributed at DCSS). I don't know if they're made by Diamine or not. But I can categorically state that Akkerman #10 is definitely different from Diamine Registrar's Blue Black. It's not just repackaged DRBB because there is a noticeable difference in how the two inks oxidized. The Registrars BB was this weird washy blue-grey color -- great shading, but nothing to recommend it otherwise, IMO; the #10 got *really* dark -- even darker than the stuff FPNer Pharmacist made (his Urkundentinte Blue-Black, which I got to try courtesy of someone at a pen club meeting).

I don't have enough red inks to do a proper comparison, but #19 is not repackaged Matador -- they're totally different shades of red (I suppose it could be some other red that Diamine makes).

If Diamine *does* make the Akkerman inks, they may do slightly different formulations.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And their Shocking Blue is far better behaved than the Majestic Blue it's supposed to be. And has more character, in my opinion.

The Good Captain

Do wish I had gotten in on the larger bottle group buys when they where available. A pen buddy introduced me to Akkerman ink and I was able to ink a pen out of one those wonderful 150ml bottles. I was sold. That started me one a quest to obtain some for myself. I initially tried to buy some from Vanness pens, but they always seemed to be out of one or two colors I was seeking. That sort of forced me into doing an overseas order with an unfamiliar company, which is always unsettling. However, dealing directly with Akkerman was a pleasure. Their customer service is top notch and efficient. That means allot in this day and age, where service before and after the sale are virtually nonexistent.

The Diamine/Akkerman debate never really entered into my thinking. I did note the similarities between then, especially the Akkerman Hopjesbruin and Shocking Blue vs Diamine's Sepia and Majestic Blue. If Akkerman's supplier is Diamine then it is very likely that the formulas are proprietary and therefore slightly different, causing it to have varying propeties as many people have noted. Not being an ink connoisseur (blissfully ignorant really) I cannot comment on the finer points of those conflicting properties, I just know I like an ink, or not. Most people here on the FPN ink forum have probably forgotten more about inks than I will ever know LOL. At any rate, Diamine's line of inks are one of my favorite and I figure a person could do allot worse than Diamine ink.

And then there is those Akkerman bottles.

Ever since my interest in FP's had been rekindled a couple years back, I have been on the lookout for the perfect inkwell. I tried many including the MB shoe, beveled bottles like those from Waterman or Pelikan, Pilot & Levenger bottles with the plastic insert which TWSBI mimicked in their design. There where others but I found them all somewhat lacking, that is until that first dip into that Akkerman's marble stopper bottle belonging to my friend. I thought to myself now heres a design that works and work well by clever design, simple, functional and with a certain level of panache not achieved by the others I had tried. All FP enthusiast should have at least one of these inkwell bottles on their writing desk. Wife Inga agreed and appropriated the Simplisties Violet which now resides on her desk, jealously guarded by her creepy Norwegian trolls. Not getting it back so I will have to order a replacement from Vanness.

post-121408-0-46379200-1427917433_thumb.jpg

"Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into are awake through the years with transferred touch and go on glowing for long years. And for this reason, some old things are lovely warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

I agree, N°10 is different from Registrar's: it's not nearly as dry. Wonderful stuff.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809