Montblanc Princesse Grace De Monaco – A Subjective Review

VivienR

This will be a really subjective review, won’t be scored, and please don’t expect full objectivity about this pen. This fountain pen is big dream come true pen for me. Dreamed about it for a long time, yet I spent a lots for other pens. But finally, we get together.

Last Tuesday a "surprise" package arrived, with a big box in it...
http://i60.tinypic.com/20ztp3b.jpg

The packing is elegant as the pen itself:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2u7n3pg.jpg
This is not the full packing! It also contains the international warranty leaflet, which contains some advertisement from the rest of the collection. The whole collection is a big WOW, really beautiful. :wub:

This pen all together is an excellent mark of pure femininity, as Grace was herself. Recently came out in ivory edition too, which also looks beautiful, but this original version with its royal purple body is absolutely catch my imagination. Knew from the first sight that I want this pen. Pen made from “precious resin”, even so this pen is heavy.

This is cartridge only, which can be a turn off many of you, considering its nearly a 1000$ pen. In the other hand, it’s compatible with international cartridges and Pelikan have a long cartridge, which barely but fits to the body of the pen. Open the possibility of lot more ink capacity. I used to syringe fill cartridges so it isn’t a problem for me. Not yet fully tired with the long cartridge, but as I started to screw in the section, it was almost completely in place without opening the cartridge. Came with a "demonstrator" cartridge and a black one, all in the body. Which one I didn't noticed in the first time. The black one was quietly hidden in the body.
http://i61.tinypic.com/15p5qvp.jpg

The pen is beautiful, but it’s hard to capture its pure essence. In some lighting condition the body of the pen seems to be brownish more than purple, but with different lighting it’s a beautiful purple pen. The champagne colored gold and pink topaz is absolutely making this pen beautiful. Every part of this pen is about beauty. Overly feminine? Maybe, but I love it!
http://i58.tinypic.com/24vlk3q.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/eztyf.jpg

The cap is screw on cap, but only a few turn (two) and its off, to make the nib and section visible. The cap can have an own story, absolutely beautiful. In the pictures seems its too steep the difference between the section and the body of the pen, but it didn’t bother me at all. Feels that Montblanc made a lots of effort to make that in the right size difference to be not disturbing. It can’t post, but I never post. Again, something that aren’t bother me, still feels enough long to be comfortable for longer writing. Many says this is a small pen. Well probably, compare for a 149, but compare for a Sapporo its big enough. If you met with a Duofold International, well you know its size, because they are almost in the same uncapped length.
http://i60.tinypic.com/n15tzn.jpg

Still trying to find a proper case for this beauty. Montblanc have a few different one, but none of its feels right to me. This pen require something special, which I didn't found yet. Not mention the cap almost 2 cm wide...

What about the writing performance? So far tried only with Diamine Imperial Purple. My favorite ink, seems match almost perfectly match with the essence of this pen. Didn’t experienced any skipping, and feels to be a smooth writer, with its 18k medium gold nib. Although Imperial Purple dry quickly so long thoughts between writing will result an initial skip, but will catch up fast.
http://i60.tinypic.com/2ryrsqs.jpg

Not surprisingly I very much affected this pen’s beauty. Its kind of screaming for get my evening gown and wear when I use this astonishing beauty. Sadly I don't have a purple gown, so I can't perfectly match with this beauty, but probably my black one will be okay for a while... :)

Seems to have a good harmony with Filofax Flex Lizard in Blackcurrant color
http://i61.tinypic.com/29yjuo5.jpg

A little nib comparison with Sailor Sapporo and Duofold International:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2uhvipc.jpg

On final thoughts.. Montblanc did a great job to honor Princesse Grace, and her beauty. Would I buy this pen (assume that I not own this pen)? YES! This pen is so beautiful and so feminine, that it can't miss from my collection. Is it worth its price? Hard to answer it honestly. Its cost a lot, but you get one of the most beautiful pen. With lot of gold, topaz and mother of pearl... :blush: Will I buy the Ivory one? Don't know, have a few other pens in my wish list, and as I mentioned, I really like this one. I really love the purple color. Did I experienced any regret to spending nearly 1000$ this pen? Again, nope, I did it happily, no regret for it!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VivienR

• Effin1

• Venemo

• Intellidepth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review, I agree it is a beautiful pen. I bought mine when it first came out in 2012 and it's still my favourite!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing a wonderful review of your dream pen! I especially love the heart shaped breather hole!

PS What do you think of the MB white leather pouch for the carrying case?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-Meisterstuck-Pen-Pouch-Tribute-To-The-Montblanc-White-Leather-109118-/151509201698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2346a6f322

It reminds me of Grace's white mink coats :)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/36/78/11/367811a49c1d7e6a287cca4c6147ebc6.jpg

Beautiful pen and great review. Modern Mont Blancs are true works of art. I also like your pen, ink, and filofax combinations.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing a wonderful review of your dream pen! I especially love the heart shaped breather hole!

PS What do you think of the MB white leather pouch for the carrying case?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-Meisterstuck-Pen-Pouch-Tribute-To-The-Montblanc-White-Leather-109118-/151509201698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2346a6f322

It reminds me of Grace's white mink coats :)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/36/78/11/367811a49c1d7e6a287cca4c6147ebc6.jpg

I saw the white one, but I think it isn't the best pair for the purple pen. Will get something for her.

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and pictures. A pen to be treasured. This is the one Mont Blanc I love the design and colour of.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Dropping back in to say that your avatar already shows up in google when I searched for the pen to see more images of this delight. :)

The nib is lovely - a delicate vintage size. Would you mind showing us a few words written by her?

Edited by Intellidepth

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Good review. Although I am not particularly drawn to the pen, it is quite attractive.

The only think that I find VERY disappointing is that it is a cartridge only pen. SORRY, in this day and age, a $1,000.00 (or anything even close) pen which only takes cartridges seems totally out of line.

What is the rational for that kind of thinking?

Well, congratulations and continue to enjoy your pen :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Dropping back in to say that your avatar already shows up in google when I searched for the pen to see more images of this delight. :)

The nib is lovely - a delicate vintage size. Would you mind showing us a few words written by her?

Power of Google and tagging...

Well I have absolutely zero fanciness in my handwriting and we are still getting used to each other, but here it is:

http://i59.tinypic.com/9k14pu.jpg

Good review. Although I am not particularly drawn to the pen, it is quite attractive.

The only think that I find VERY disappointing is that it is a cartridge only pen. SORRY, in this day and age, a $1,000.00 (or anything even close) pen which only takes cartridges seems totally out of line.

What is the rational for that kind of thinking?

Well, congratulations and continue to enjoy your pen :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Not supporting a converter is totally legit question, especially because a long cartridge seems to fit in, so at least Montblanc could make a smaller converter for these pens, even that refilling cartridges isn't a big effort.

...here it is...

Thank you. What a fitting quote. Perfect ink colour choice :)

Thank you. What a fitting quote. Perfect ink colour choice :)

Indeed, this quote, I could live with it. Diamine Imperial Purple is my absolute top favorite ink, so far nothing was able to push it of from the throne.

Not supporting a converter is totally legit question, especially because a long cartridge seems to fit in, so at least Montblanc could make a smaller converter for these pens, even that refilling cartridges isn't a big effort.

When you say the converter doesn't fit could it be like the starwalker or is it a totally different thing and I'm way off?

I just love this pen but apart from price being cart. only put me off. After reading your review I'm wobbling.

I just love this pen but apart from price being cart. only put me off. After reading your review I'm wobbling.

Know, how you feel, the price played a major role, that I was thought about a lot to buy or not. Almost abandoned the thoughts of buy this beauty, but last October while waited in Riga Airport terminal to my flight depart, I saw it in the local Montblanc store along with the Ivory version two. It was absolutely beautiful as the lights shined the pen... That moment was, when I knew that I really want to get this pen.

One of my close friends received this pen as a graduation present a few years ago. It really is stunning to behold.

I hope you enjoy it, lovely review.

Well VivienR you persuaded me should arrive after Easter. Can't wait. Ordered some MB Lavender purple carts.

Well VivienR you persuaded me should arrive after Easter. Can't wait. Ordered some MB Lavender purple carts.

:blush: Hope you will like it, its a beautiful pen.

Very nice pen, thanks for the review. Is the nib same as the nib on a Mozart?

What I seen, nope. Mozart have 14K gold nib (except the Tribute edition, which have also 18K gold nib), and the breather hole is rounded instead of heart shaped. The rest of it look very similar.