Would You Use It As An Edc ?

Mangrove Jack

It you obtained a mint, unused, un-inked, gorgeous Parker 45 Harlequin Black Shield pattern fountain pen would you ink it up and use it as one of your EDC pens ?

Edited by Mangrove Jack

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Mangrove Jack

• ink-syringe

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

As they are not that uncommon, yes. But I might put it out there for a trade for a used one plus a little cash first as there might be some collector whose day would be made by having a mint one. I know of at least two people that might fill hat description. But, yes, I am afraid I would use it. I am, after all, a user, and not a collector. Which is why I tend to avoid any rare pens in mint condition.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

1. It depends on the nib and how it writes.

2. I don't have any everyday carry pen. I change a lot.

But within those parameters, Sure

Edited by Ted A
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Yep. In a heartbeat.

There's a minty Blue Coronet 45 inked up in my carry case now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

In less than a heartbeat. The pen was made to work. I would be a bit careful with it though.

All the very best.

Oh yeah, if it leaves home it Definitely Should Be in a carry case.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

No, it would go into my collection as a pen to not use.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have a similar dilemma.

I have the Parker 45 that I used throughout high school and passed my exams with 20 years ago.

It was already quite old when I received it as a gift from my grandmother.

Needless to say, I'm torn between carrying on using it (and risk damaging or losing it) and continuing to use it and generating even more personal history with it.

It's a nice one too, gold trim and solid gold nib.

Not sure of the model, but it has a plastic cap rather than the more common metal.

Edited by Jamesbeat

I have a similar dilemma.

I have the Parker 45 that I used throughout high school and passed my exams with 20 years ago.

It was already quite old when I received it as a gift from my grandmother.

Needless to say, I'm torn between carrying on using it (and risk damaging or losing it) and continuing to use it and generating even more personal history with it.

It's a nice one too, gold trim and solid gold nib.

Not sure of the model, but it has a plastic cap rather than the more common metal.

IIRC the plastic cap were called "Arrow".

My Website

Oh yeah, if it leaves home it Definitely Should Be in a carry case.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

How about carefully clipped in a shirt pocket ?

I have inked it up and taken it with me to my office - couldn't resist using it. Lovely balance and weight. I may replace the steel nib with an X 14k gold though.

To use or not to use, that is the question.

I wouldn't wear that one clipped to a shirt but that's just me.

It's added weight, being all metal, increases the chance it can come unclipped or fall out of a pocket. The metal is going to ding easily and the black panels scratch if dropped.

I'll pocket carry my 45 Arrow, but not my 45 Coronet or Flighter for the weight reasons above.

Trust Me! on the carry case, especially for work.

It keeps prying eyes off your pens. Just because you may only pocket carry 1 pen doesn't mean you couldn't use a couple more in a carry case. There's places on the carry case to put your contact info in case the case is misplaced or left somewhere. The CC virtually eliminates damage from dropping the pen.

The gold nib to me sounds like it would clash with the pen but it's not my pen. I might be inclined to keep the steel nib

and either have it ground or Optimized.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bruce you may be right about the gold nib clashing with the silver trim on this pen. Maybe I'll leave it as it is. Thanks.

I carry my P45, but it has no sentimental value - in fact I just bought it to replace one I foolishly lost.

If you like carrying a p45/arrow, but don't want to carry that one - then you can get a second one for not a lot of cash. They're sturdy pens. My last one was from the 70's and the "new" one is from the 60's and they both write well. 50 years old - and still writing. No wonder Parker stopped making them - you only ever needed to buy one.

A carry case is a good idea for any fountain pen. I've been surprised at the ability for a pen to spontaneously unscrew itself and spill ink where it's not wanted in a pocket.

If you like carrying a p45/arrow, but don't want to carry that one - then you can get a second one for not a lot of cash. They're sturdy pens. No wonder Parker stopped making them - you only ever needed to buy one.

Just ONE?

NOW you tell me.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl- ;)

I have two; one I bought myself, one was given to me by my Aunt, who bought it for herself and used it for years as a bookkeeper. I expect a good soaking and it will write fine; haven't done that yet.

They're sort of the VW Rabbit of pens. Been around a while, but not enough to be exciting, lots were made, parts are available, and they'll keep going forever, given a chance.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Lou, when soaking, remove the nib from the section. It unscrews from the collar between the nib and the section. Once unscrewed, slide off the collar from the nib and separate the nib from the other parts, then soak. Remember that the feed is inside the section and remains there despite removal of the nib, so make sure you flush out the inside of the section too and soak the section well to remove any old crusty ink. You may know this but I thought I should mention it.

I am not so sure about the "not enough to be exciting" part. I know many who regularly use FP's and have done so for most of their lives who are of the opinion that the P45 ranks up with the P51, though not as often much talked about. Sort of like the AK47 and the Colt 45 after which it was named.