Stationery Embosser Advice?

enlvalencia

Hello!

I am interested in buying a customized/personalized embosser for stationery and/or envelopes. Preferably one which has interchangeable plates, allowing for different shapes and sizes.

My interest in this was sparked by a library embosser that I saw advertised (I believe it's available at Neiman Marcus, of all places)... I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using embossers and/or recommendations on what kind to get, and where to get it?

I found several on Amazon, but they have gotten mixed reviews... so I figured it would be worth a shot to ask you lovely people for some advice.

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

Member of the postcard and letter exchanges -- please PM me if you're interested in corresponding :)

http://i.imgur.com/WXi8bhb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Octo

• enlvalencia

• bogiesan

• Mari1013

I'd like to second your request, in a way.

I have an older hand-held embosser with reversible plates, so I can emboss from the top of paper for stationery and from the bottom for envelope flaps. I've moved, so the plates are out of date. Can anyone direct me to a site that offers reversible plates for my embosser?

Edited to add that mine came from a Miles Kimball catalogue a number of years ago.

Edited by Octo

//suggest you search the forum and then try a wider interweb search. Embossers have been around for more than 100 years. The technology is perfected but there are good and bad ways to get one made for you. The older units (look at local antique shops for coporate seals and persaonl bookplates) were made from maquette-like sculptures/engravings. A negative mold is required for one of the plates and the quality of these engravings determines the quality of your embossed figure. Sculpted embossers were carefully crafted to accommodate the mechanism and the paper medium. Today's photo-etched embossers are not as deeply set, the edges are not as gently formed (to prevent paper tear), and the designs are usually stupid clipart. CNC and laser eteched embossers are available but CNC lacks precision in the detail and lasers, while sharply detailed, do not cut deeply into metal. You may need to gently moisten the paper to take a good image.

A good embosser is going to cost you two or three times what cheap units cost. So you have to decide why you want one and how big an impression you want it to leave. You want to find a shop that handles the details by hand and expect to compensate the craftsmen accodrdingly. Please return to you thread and tell us how you made out.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Embossers have been around for more than 100 years. The technology is perfected but there are good and bad ways to get one made for you.

Thank you for the very good information, bogiesan.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had an embosser for over 25 years -- the "Library of..." style -- a very thoughtful and treasured gift from my brother and sister-in-law. It's branded "Elite" and I found a web page for it:

http://www.scribesdelight.com/categories/Elite-Embossers-/

But a simple search revealed several other makers in a range of prices. Mine has a removable plate, so I could, if I wished, get a different seal.

I've had an embosser for over 25 years -- the "Library of..." style -- a very thoughtful and treasured gift from my brother and sister-in-law. It's branded "Elite" and I found a web page for it:

http://www.scribesdelight.com/categories/Elite-Embossers-/

But a simple search revealed several other makers in a range of prices. Mine has a removable plate, so I could, if I wished, get a different seal.

Thank you for this Mari1013! This looks like what I need, with plates both removable and reversible.

I purchased a custom embosser from Papyrus with my own artwork 10 years ago, but Papyrus's website doesn't show embossers now. I did research and found this webite http://www.customembossers.com/ that looks like they have very nice products. I like my custom artwork as opposed to the standard "fill in the blank name, street, city" template style of custom.

I also had a stamp from Xstamper http://www.xstamper.com/ made with the same custom artwork so I have a matching embosser and stamp.

Edited by Tasmith

Hi, a few things to consider based on my experience:

I got mine, a notary desk embosser, from an eBay seller several years ago but it basically looks like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desk-Notary-Seal-Stamp-Embosser-2-5-1-2-Long-/360732148079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fd4fc16f

The reason I chose and do prefer the desk model over the handheld versions is that depending on which type of media you are embossing, it can require a significant amount of pressure to get a good result. When doing an adhesive label or a heavier stock, I literally stand up and lean my weight into it until I hear a slight crunching noise telling me it has made complete contact. A handheld version would be nearly impossible to keep stable & balanced enough to use the necessary pressure for heavier stocks.

It's also important to consider whether you will leave it at your desk or carry it around, the desk model seems a bit heavy to carry. Mine stays in my desk so the choice was obvious for me. Further, to align the embosser to the paper for a straight, even strike can be a little frustrating until trial and error lead you to your own system. Start practicing with old bills or junk mail before trying something you care about!

My primary use of the embosser is for return address and making my own custom letterhead. Doing this requires two separate rectangular plates of my address— one is a bottom approach, the other a top approach so that I can emboss the top of a sheet with the top approach plate and the flap of an envelope with the bottom approach plate. If you look at the desk embosser you will clearly see that there is a limited working space between the plates and the end of the unit which limits the distance that can be reached with the embosser.

I also have a personal seal which is round and fun to use on top of my signature or on a round or star-cut label. I have both approaches for this seal as well because it allows me to emboss from the top or bottom of a document.

Since original purchase I have moved and had to replace my address plates, it was easy enough to do by looking around eBay until I found a seller who carries the plates that "looked right" for my unit. They work just fine.

It's really fun to use these and they get a lot of compliments, I hope this helps and you will enjoy having this new toy/tool!

Edited by AfterMyNap

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a custom embosser from Papyrus with my own artwork 10 years ago, but Papyrus's website doesn't show embossers now. I did research and found this webite http://www.customembossers.com/ that looks like they have very nice products. I like my custom artwork as opposed to the standard "fill in the blank name, street, city" template style of custom.I also had a stamp from Xstamper http://www.xstamper.com/ made with the same custom artwork so I have a matching embosser and stamp.

Thanks for the link!

I'd like to add that, if you look in your local yellow pages, you will likely find a custom rubberstamp shop, still in business, that can order these embossers for you. They may have a few samples in their shop and their advice can be invaluable.

This can be a tremendously fun and cool thing to have. But the range of quality is huge. You will get what you pay for.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Man I should have grabbed the ones I've seen in estate sales, just for the mechanism, then change the plates later.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I work at Scribes Delight and Elite Embosser.

We are the Custom Embosser manufacturers for many major retailers,

fountain pen aficionados and can answer all your Embosser questions:

The type of embosser you select depends on what brand/weight of paper

and what kind of lettering/artwork you will be embossing.

Desk models do offer best support for embossing multiple items for corporate projects,

diplomas, wedding or holiday cards, etc

Hand-held is portable for embossing on-the-go, travel, engineering, notary, justice of the peace, etc

Most of the Embosser is in the embossing plates. The handle mechanism is inexpensive and we offer them.

We make Heavy-duty Embossers for heavier than standard weight papers and unique papers

and can engrave your embosser to have the optimum embossment for your particular paper.

You may send us any black and white artwork and Scribes Delight/ Elite Embossers

will create a Custom Embosser for you.

All of our work is engraved into with metal and made to last a lifetime.

Feel free to call me with any questions - our Embosser Hotline is: 1.800.866.7367 (US)
1.781.771.9552 (Worldwide)

or email info@scribesdelight.com

Check out our amazing Italian Amalfi Paper selection too! Perfect for fountain pens...

Linda @

ScribesDelight.com

Edited by ScribesDelight