Is This An Authentic Montblanc 146?

Andrei19000

Hello dear colleagues,

It’s been a while since I have started to read this forum and based on the information and advice that I found here I decided to purchase a MontBlanc 146 F nib from a local auction site for 250 dollars. It seems to have all the “security” elements peculiar to this model: the word pen written underneath the clips, the nib identical to that of an authentic MontBlanc 146, the code on the rings of the clips and the shades of red when put in the light. What worries me is that even though the seller has clearly stated that the pen was brand new, the cap rings seem oxidized, there is a small piston gap and when the cap is on, even if well-fitted, it still has a slight play. I have never had expensive pens and I was expecting that all the elements would fit perfectly and since the rings are gold-plated I think shouldn’t look oxidized. On the body of the pen there is no scratch at all. Please, find attached more photos. I would be more than grateful to have you take a look and I would highly appreciate to hear your opinion.

post-121421-0-61100400-1427403869_thumb.jpg

post-121421-0-91311300-1427403894_thumb.jpg

post-121421-0-83150800-1427403912_thumb.jpg

post-121421-0-87061900-1427403924_thumb.jpg

post-121421-0-26283000-1427403941_thumb.jpg

post-121421-0-38300300-1427403955_thumb.jpg

post-121421-0-16001600-1427404078_thumb.jpg

post-121421-0-42059300-1427404151_thumb.jpg

post-121421-0-06965000-1427404300_thumb.jpg

post-121421-0-59144800-1427404305_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• Chrissy

• Andrei19000

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks OK to me although with the oxidization it is probably not new or has been badly stored. The slight play on the cap is normal with Montblancs and nothing to worry about. I have never heard of a fake piston filled Montblanc. It would seem that the description of the pen is not as it should be but it still looks like a good buy.

Peter

But this is Andrei's first post, so if it is the first of many, then I can live with it.

So can I. But I think that FredRydr was referring to the endless queries as to the authenticity of MB (and Parker Sonnet) pens.

I have just ordered a MB 145, brand new, for £6 from a dealer in Hong Kong. Must be genuine :lticaptd:

Peter

I'm a bit confused here sorry, but did the 146 come in two sizes, because the one here looks a bit slimmer than mine. I think mine might be a Legrand model.

The 146 only came in one size. It is called the 146 or the Le Grand. It is always a piston filling pen. If it has a correct internal piston and not an internal converter then it is authentic.

The top cone doesn't screw down all the way because someone has had the piston out and hasn't fitted it back in correctly. I recently had to remove one of my 146 pistons and that gap was there every time I tried to screw the cone back on because the piston wasn't in exactly the correct position.

If you have a piston removal tool it's possible to fix it yourself. If you haven't, your local Montblanc boutique might be able to do it on the spot. Otherwise it would need sending to Montblanc for a 1st level service, and they would fix it for a very economical sum of money

Edited by Chrissy

I'm no expert, and I may misstate this slightly, but there is more than one size of 146. The Legrand is slightly longer and thicker than the standard 146. Longer by about the length of the portion of the cap that holds the MB logo. I haven't been around long enough or handled enough 146's to say for certain, but I think all Legrand are larger.

What I do know for sure is I have 2 146's that are larger than the other 3.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

Thank you very much for your fast replies!I highly appreciate it.Is there any way to get rid of the rings' oxidation?

Thank you very much for your fast replies!I highly appreciate it.Is there any way to get rid of the rings' oxidation?

Wipe gently with a sunshine cloth or with a jewellery cleaning cloth

The 146 only came in one size.

That's not true. I have 3 146s here, one from the 70's, one from middle 80's and one from late 90's. They are all different in sizes. The caps looks the same, but when you see they side by side you can spot a couple of mm differences each other.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/fravin/56AEB206-7E29-4E05-8612-7EF4B18F820C_zpswz4okk4h.jpg

Edited by fravin

I'm a bit confused here sorry, but did the 146 come in two sizes, because the one here looks a bit slimmer than mine. I think mine might be a Legrand model.

The Legrand is a 146 and yes, over the years the 146 has grown in length and girth, the latter of those characteristics I can verify personally.

The two rightmost pens are both 146s

http://www.fototime.com/A55E4679982A838/large.jpg

My Website

The piston needs lubrication.

They all do.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I have just received my £6 MB 145, brand new, from a dealer in China. Must be genuine :lticaptd:

It looks the part at first glance. All the markings are correct with Pix on cap band and under clip, serial number on clip band and the nib claims to be 14k. It is a tiny fraction longer than "real" 145 but the caps are interchangeable.

Now the truth.

1. I had great difficulty getting the magnet to part company with the "14k" steel nib.

2. The finish is not quite up to scratch with some rough edges.

3. The converter is a push fit and not a very good one at that.
It is very easy to see how the unsuspecting buyer could be fooled into thinking this is a genuine Montblanc.

I won't enclose photo's as I don't think the differences will show up.

Whatever we think of this highly suspicious trading of fake goods this pen is very good value for £6 post free.

Peter