• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vPro

• sombrueil

• Bo Bo Olson

• savingbirds

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Peyton St. Pens, they have some very reasonable flex pens.

If you haven't used flex pens before, don't get a wet noodle, they take a sensitive and practiced hand. But not to worry. I probably have bought at least eight vintage pens described as "full flex" and not one of them approached wet noodledom even when advertised as such.

You will have a lot better luck hitting your price point if you can deal with a smaller pen -- the 52v and 52 1/2 sizes and their equivalents are much cheaper than the full sizes, and posted they are fine to write with for many people.

The Pen Habit reviewed the Waterman 52 1/2 V and I immediately fell in love with it. But I can't find a properly working one for about $200-250.

Ill take a look at the maker you suggested, thank toy.

Just realised that Peyton St. Pens actually refurbish pens! And I found some very nice pens there! Their prices are actually OK, but I'll have to investigate how much it would cost me to import it to Denmark :) Thanks for the tip.

19% import duties...if you get caught. Same as the rest of the EU.

That includes labor costs if you were to send a pen to the states to be fixed. If it is not a Euro pen do go to your customs before to get a form...so they don't charge you for the pen too.

Get the form anyway....some times Customs are book stupid.

I checked with Germn customs, when paying for a US item....so asked about pens and repairs.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The Pen Habit reviewed the Waterman 52 1/2 V and I immediately fell in love with it. But I can't find a properly working one for about $200-250.

Ill take a look at the maker you suggested, thank toy.

Grab the last one before its gone!

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/waterman/early-hard-rubber/waterman-52-1-2-v-fountain-pen-bchr-npt-ringtop-no-ring-flex-fine-nib-very-nice-restored.html

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

I just got a fantastic 52 1/2 V red ripple Waterman wet noodle ring top from Teri at Peyton St. for $150. Incredible pen.

Watch ebay for one of the Soennecken pens. A guy has some S6 under a listing starting as Judds NOS === for $40 something. I bought one a couple of weeks back and like it so well I picked up two more for a spare and a gift. They were 30 something then. I just looked and he has two left. These are probably ate 1950 to early 1960's production, as the company closed in 1967. Nibs are great with moderate flex. the piston is stiff, probably from age, so I unscrewed the nib and used a toothpick to spread a tiny bit of silicone grease around inside the barrel where the piston rides and smoothed it up quickly. These pens are in a burgundy color with gold trim, rather classic looking.

Regards

Jeff

Peyton St pens have a $140 Waterman 52 1/2 V pen in black rubber but I just calculated shipping and import fees and these alone translate to $95.

So we're at 235 for that wonderful pen. I know it's within my said limit, but I just realized that the dollar has skyrocketed, thus making it much more expensive.

19% import duties...if you get caught. Same as the rest of the EU.

That statement is technically not true. If the value is over 22 EUR (but less than 150 EUR) you pay no duty, just the VAT - which depends on your country (19% in Germany, 21% in the Czech Republic and 25% in Denmark, where the OP is located). On top of that there can be some processing fees. Once you go over 150 EUR, you also pay the import duty, which was 3.70% last time I checked.

Edited by honza

Check out Davidtna, Rutlandpenpeople and Love my pen (a bit cheaper) on E-Bay. Their pens are good and they are serviced. Not their actual names but the best I can remember off the top of my head. Being EU, no VAT.

Edited by peterg

Don't buy based on manufacturers name or even model. Not all Waterman 52 pens have nibs meant to be flexed and that is also true for every other brand imaginable. Instead, find someone in your area who specializes in flex pens and ask their advice regarding specific pens.

Desiderata Pens offers pens with various flex nibs. Their website has recently been revised.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

Fountain pens are a niche here in Denmark and are extremely hard to find.

I'll make sure it's an actual flex nib that I'm getting.

Don't buy based on manufacturers name or even model. Not all Waterman 52 pens have nibs meant to be flexed and that is also true for every other brand imaginable. Instead, find someone in your area who specializes in flex pens and ask their advice regarding specific pens.

Exactly Jar, and in this case, Mrs. Tery is so honest that she will tell you if a determinated fountain pen that she offers has or not flexibility, by the way I have noticed the scarcity of pens in her site, I think this last Christmas season was very happy and demanding for Peyton street pens.