Critique My Handwriting, Please?

EarlGreyTea

Hello there! I'm interested in getting some feedback/critique on my everyday cursive writing. I'm just 13, so I believe that my writing has some sloppy characteristics to it, but I'd love to improve! (This is the script I usually use to take notes, it's fast and nothing fancy about it.)

Also, it was written with a gel pen, though I usually use a cheap fountain pen or pencil.

http://i.imgur.com/sSeuCGsh.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EarlGreyTea

• TheRealScubaSteve

• Rbt46

• AndrewC

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there! I'm interested in getting some feedback/critique on my everyday cursive writing. I'm just 13, so I believe that my writing has some sloppy characteristics to it, but I'd love to improve! (This is the script I usually use to take notes, it's fast and nothing fancy about it.)

Also, it was written with a gel pen, though I usually use a cheap fountain pen or pencil.

If that's your fast handwriting, I'd like to see your handwriting when you try. It is perfectly legible and pleasant to read. It's pretty consistent, but your letter spacing is a bit cramped.

Take this from a person MUCH older than you....I find your cursive easily read. Nothing wrong with that, by the way.

I'm very guarded when I say this...do not get into the rut of wanting your writing to look like any other's cursive. Maintain your uniqueness.

At present, your writing is much better than any I personally have had the honor to lay down.

Just be sure to keep it yours.

And I'm like scuba Steve..if that is you in hurry, meaning you feel it's not your best, please show us something you feel,is better.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry- Mark Twain

Another, this time with a fountain pen. (Nothing fancy, old Pilot Varsity.)

I feel as though writing with a fountain pen makes my writing smoother, but sometimes I become overzealous and even accidentally skip letters.

http://i.imgur.com/9wIaOZ8h.jpg

Take this from a person MUCH older than you....I find your cursive easily read. Nothing wrong with that, by the way.

I'm very guarded when I say this...do not get into the rut of wanting your writing to look like any other's cursive. Maintain your uniqueness.

At present, your writing is much better than any I personally have had the honor to lay down.

Just be sure to keep it yours.

And I'm like scuba Steve..if that is you in hurry, meaning you feel it's not your best, please show us something you feel,is better.

If that's your fast handwriting, I'd like to see your handwriting when you try. It is perfectly legible and pleasant to read. It's pretty consistent, but your letter spacing is a bit cramped.

Thank you both for your replies! I understand that seeing writing with time put into it may help gauge an idea of my writing better, yet most of the time I feel that taking my time makes the writing look a bit choppy.

As for now, I was just curious about opinions of my casual style. :)

Another, this time with a fountain pen. (Nothing fancy, old Pilot Varsity.)

I feel as though writing with a fountain pen makes my writing smoother, but sometimes I become overzealous and even accidentally skip letters.

I once heard advice to "write in strokes" on here. I don't have an easy way to explain it, but essentially break the word into 2 or three letter segments. For example writing would become wr it ing. Give a slight pause after the upstroke into the r, finish the downstroke into t and pause again at the i's first stroke.

I found it tremendously helpful and you might find yourself skipping less letters by doing this.

Well, I would second what Shagbark first said. I, too, am much older. And doubt I have ever written as well as you do now. Your fountain pen writing looks like it was written at a faster speed, and has a bit more character to it. What is the nib size, BTW? The FP writing is not as tidy as the gel, but is all still legible. If you saw mine you would think something was wrong with your brain if what you were looking at was script.

I can't tell you anything about improving your writing. I will only say I think your writing is nice, enviable even. I also think that as you mature, your writing will alter a bit. If you can, you might get a pen where you can swap in different nibs, or go to a pen show and try different nibs-check out Susan Wirth-just to see what you get and if you like it. A narrow stub nib might be a good place for you to start.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Well, I would second what Shagbark first said. I, too, am much older. And doubt I have ever written as well as you do now. Your fountain pen writing looks like it was written at a faster speed, and has a bit more character to it. What is the nib size, BTW? The FP writing is not as tidy as the gel, but is all still legible. If you saw mine you would think something was wrong with your brain if what you were looking at was script.

I can't tell you anything about improving your writing. I will only say I think your writing is nice, enviable even. I also think that as you mature, your writing will alter a bit. If you can, you might get a pen where you can swap in different nibs, or go to a pen show and try different nibs-check out Susan Wirth-just to see what you get and if you like it. A narrow stub nib might be a good place for you to start.

I don't know exactly, it just specifies a medium nib? And yes, I'd love to get into other sorts of fountain pens. I've tried calligraphy but simply don't have the patience, so maybe a casual pen would suit me better?

Do you think you might have any suggestions for an everyday pen?

I'm into using FP's everyday for a month or so at this point. Before, I was gel pens all the way.

Knowing what I know now (and knowing I have plenty to learn) I realize how mundane and unchanging the gel pen experience is. You'll get my point the more you experiment with fountain pens, paper and ink.

I'm finding that there is a huge difference between nibs, ink and paper and that on different days I prefer different combinations. But that's the enticing thing about this hobby. Or you might term it a passion..finding the perfect combo in a given day. And from what I've been able to gather from these forums, that combo is different for different folks.

But, here are my suggestions-

- a Sheaffer school pen with a 305 nib. In my experience the nearest to gel pen writing.

- a noodlers flex pen (mine is the Ahab). Once you learn the nuances of pressing a bit harder with a flex, it will certainly add a flair to your cursive, making your style even more your style..with flair.

-Goulet pens provides a great web site that allows you to see different inks and to order samples of those you might like to try. I have no association whatsoever with Goulets. I am a very satisfied customer.

-be prepared to spend a bit of money. The list above is given with an eye toward not speading a small fortune in Order to enjoy the hobby.

Keep in mind there are many, many combos. Experiment as the wallet allows.

These are my suggestions. I am certain you'll see more.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry- Mark Twain

I'm into using FP's everyday for a month or so at this point. Before, I was gel pens all the way.

Knowing what I know now (and knowing I have plenty to learn) I realize how mundane and unchanging the gel pen experience is. You'll get my point the more you experiment with fountain pens, paper and ink.

I'm finding that there is a huge difference between nibs, ink and paper and that on different days I prefer different combinations. But that's the enticing thing about this hobby. Or you might term it a passion..finding the perfect combo in a given day. And from what I've been able to gather from these forums, that combo is different for different folks.

But, here are my suggestions-

- a Sheaffer school pen with a 305 nib. In my experience the nearest to gel pen writing.

- a noodlers flex pen (mine is the Ahab). Once you learn the nuances of pressing a bit harder with a flex, it will certainly add a flair to your cursive, making your style even more your style..with flair.

-Goulet pens provides a great web site that allows you to see different inks and to order samples of those you might like to try. I have no association whatsoever with Goulets. I am a very satisfied customer.

-be prepared to spend a bit of money. The list above is given with an eye toward not speading a small fortune in Order to enjoy the hobby.

Keep in mind there are many, many combos. Experiment as the wallet allows.

These are my suggestions. I am certain you'll see more.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I appreciate it greatly!

http://www.gouletpens.com/n17010/p/N17010 I'm looking at this pen here, and was wondering if you think it would work fine for taking fast notes/schoolwork? I'm not quite certain if it's a more casual pen or one used for calligraphy.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I appreciate it greatly!

http://www.gouletpens.com/n17010/p/N17010 I'm looking at this pen here, and was wondering if you think it would work fine for taking fast notes/schoolwork? I'm not quite certain if it's a more casual pen or one used for calligraphy.

It's a pretty good pen. Noodler's flex nibs take a bit of effort to flex a lot so that is beneficial to using them as "normal" pens. Flex nibs are not the smoothest nibs so expect a small amount of feedback (not scratch). One thing to keep in mind is that it is a very thin pen. If you don't mind that, go for it.

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

I have no hands on experience with the noodlers creaper, but I do understand, as scuba Steve points out, that it is a small pen.

Just my opinion but if you desire to take fast notes, the firmer the nib the better. I've found that the flex nibs (like the Noodlers Ahab) cause me to slow down when writing. A very flexible pen (like the Visconti Homo sapien) is snail speed for me. But the flexs do show more flair.

As I wrote above, the firmness of the sheaffer 305 allows me to speed through my scribblings.

But I assume there are many, many opinions about this.

That's the beauty of the hobby. I'm thinking you'll never stop chasing the elusive perfect combo.

Experiment.

I have no hands on experience with the noodlers creaper, but I do understand, as scuba Steve points out, that it is a small pen.

Just my opinion but if you desire to take fast notes, the firmer the nib the better. I've found that the flex nibs (like the Noodlers Ahab) cause me to slow down when writing. A very flexible pen (like the Visconti Homo sapien) is snail speed for me. But the flexs do show more flair.

As I wrote above, the firmness of the sheaffer 305 allows me to speed through my scribblings.

But I assume there are many, many opinions about this.

That's the beauty of the hobby. I'm thinking you'll never stop chasing the elusive perfect combo.

Experiment.

I've actually ordered the Creaper (and a bottle of ink) a few hours ago, so I think I might try that one out first. I watched a few videos of the pen so far, and I really like the flexibility of the nib for cursive writing!

Taking into consideration what you said, maybe I'll be able to teach myself to take my time while writing so the pen performs better for me personally.